What's new

Gillette Stainless P&G?

Has anyone tried these Gillette stainless blades produced by St Petersburg Gillette ?

Attachments

• $gillette.jpg
    $gillette.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 353
Likewise. Thought I'd seen all the Gillette products coming out of PPI. These are certainly ones I've never seen before.

I've seen images like this before which looks like it is from the PPI plant, but I've never actually seen them for sale anywhere

PPI - what a place! Probably have a few distinctly different alloys and grinds, and then package them in tons of different ways. That's my guess anyway.

I wrote out a post the other day and failed to post it. Basically it had the "Generations" of Gillette blades and all that sort of thing.

The number of factories that Gillette (and later P&G with Gillette as a wholly owned subsidiary thereof) have closed over the years has seen the loss of some wonderful blades - Swedes which were produced in the Lodz factory in Poland for example. In fact, so many blades loved by wetshavers everywhere were produced in Lodz before DE production was moved to Czech Republic (the Astra Factory) around 2000-2001, and later to PPI St Petersburg when the Czech factory was closed due to rising EU labour costs.

Word has come to me from a Polish Immigrant to Australia who used to work in the Lodz factory that the following blades were produced there in the White Plastic dispenser before being converted to cartridge production only:
  • Gillette Platinum (Swedes, aka 'Platinum Hardened Edges')
  • Gillette Bleue Extra
  • Gillette Super Silver
  • Gillette Super Stainless (aka Super Inoxydable)
He also knew that Super Silvers became Silver Blues once moved to the Czech factory, also the Swedes became 'Gillette Platinum' in the Dark cardboard box, while the White Cardboard-boxed Platinums (aka White Platinums) were made elsewhere (likely PPI).

So, it seems to me that these blades:
full

then became these when produced in Lodz:
proxy.php

And they became these when moved to the Cardboard box facilites at PPI:

proxy.php

Of course I am not saying that these blades are the modern-day spoilers, just that they are the descendants thereof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mitsimonsta, thank your for your post. Very interesting in its own right, and those pictures of NOS blades in hard dispensers bring back good memories of going to Rexall drugs with my father when I was a kid. Seems a world away.

i used to shave with this blade two times after opened this thread.. first day used 37C and second day with Long SA.. result was excellent for me.. i tried many blades but i see that this gillette stainless different than the others, sharp but well blanced and very smooth ,close shave... Thanks so much for great explanation to Mitsimonsta im totally aggree with him. i bought only 15 blades for sample but im sure i will buy more blades soon( Aproximately $2/per 1 pack of 5 Blades).. Also i see that someone selling same blades platinum coated ones on the bay, im really curious to know their quality as well.. Gillette Stainless produced by St petersburg Russia so it has four glue point on the blade..Shave ability is close to Gillette Swede but i have to try more blades to experience well..

Attachments

• $gillette stainless.jpg
    $gillette stainless.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 269
  • $gs.jpg
    $gs.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 266
...Also i see that someone selling same blades platinum coated ones on the bay, im really curious to know their quality as well...

I've got 100 of the Blue Platinum in similar packaging from the eBay. I like them a lot, they are just a bit too mild and tame though. They work absolutely the same as Astra SS in all my razors I've tried.

Just further to this: Anything packaged in a white cardboard box and placed as a single pack on a cardboard hanger (aka Modern GBE's, White Platinums etc) are all made at PPI. Some examples:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Platinums above (aka "White Platinums" because of the white box) are available if you know where to look. I purchased 25 blades and they were consistently excellent in every razor I have tried. They worked will in my common-bar NEW whereas the 'Dark Platinums' gave a terrible shave in the NEW.

My information is that when Lodz stopped producing DE blades, both the Czech factory and PPI made 'Platinums', although PPI started making the white ones, the Czech factory made the darks, then the darks were moved to PPI later. I have Darks made at PPI, plus the Whites. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have never shaved with a Swede, but I believe this to be the spiritual successor to the Swedes, and as a bonus they are still available. Just excellent shaving all around. Very expensive though, they run at approximately $1.30 per blade delivered.

Joel,

As usual, excellent information. Where are you finding the red package stainless blades? All my usual sources have been dead-ends

I haven't got any Nick, only the information.

There's a few image results on Google....

Ok, so it isn't just me. I've seen images of them before, but never for sale.

Regardless, this is all very interesting information. I wouldn't doubt if gillette shipped the manufacturing equipment from Lodz to PPI. What I don't know is what happened to the equipment here in the US when the GPP and Spoilers were discontinued

Ok, so it isn't just me. I've seen images of them before, but never for sale.
http://translate.google.com.au/tran...produkt/Gillette-Stainless-Zyletki-20-x-5-szt

As for actual availability, I hope you speak/read Polish, you may have to ask! Link is not a reference or recommendation, it is informational only. That said, you get some I'd love a pack to try!

Regardless, this is all very interesting information. I wouldn't doubt if gillette shipped the manufacturing equipment from Lodz to PPI. What I don't know is what happened to the equipment here in the US when the GPP and Spoilers were discontinued
As far as I know, the Lodz equipment was repurposed into making Mach3 cartridges. The gentleman said to me that the whole factory was converted into cartridge production. They still had to grind blade steel and sharpen it, the cutters/stampers would have been fitted with new dies etc.

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcokupic.pl%2Fprodukt%2FGillette-Stainless-Zyletki-20-x-5-szt

As for actual availability, I hope you speak/read Polish, you may have to ask! Link is not a reference or recommendation, it is informational only. That said, you get some I'd love a pack to try!

As far as I know, the Lodz equipment was repurposed into making Mach3 cartridges. The gentleman said to me that the whole factory was converted into cartridge production. They still had to grind blade steel and sharpen it, the cutters/stampers would have been fitted with new dies etc.

Well, heck, if you're going to order from Poland, there are sites there that are selling Iridiums

Well, heck, if you're going to order from Poland, there are sites there that are selling Iridiums
As I said, no warranty given on the question of if they are in stock, or will ship outside of Poland. It's just a link. Do with it what you will, and then don't blame me when it all falls over.

And as for Iridiums, we know where we can source them.

I know this is an old thread, but after following the link posted & Reading this thread, I feel complelled to say some thing.

There were 2 Factories in Lodz, the old Wizamet factory is where DE Blades were produced & was the initial acquisition by Gillette. None of the equipment in the Lodz DE is suitable to produce Mach3 Cartridges. When I say none, I mean absolutely zero...

I don’t know your source, but I can assure you they are misinformed

Does anyone know where those Gillette Stainless are distributed for retail sale? Compared to the similarly-packaged Platinum and Silver Blue, the stainless seem to be difficult for US buyers to acquire at low cost. I have one tuck (minus one blade that I used) and found it quite nice, but not nice enough to justify paying double the price of GSBs.

Top Bottom