What's new

Brand Loyalty is a funny thing

I noticed an Adidas Originals clothing/shoe store in my nearest mall the other day and had to have a look. When I was 13, my good friend got a pair of Adidas Kick sneakers in black leather. I envied them so much, but my dad wouldn't buy me a pair as I'd just got some Dunlop Green Flash, which might have been cool if you were old enough to be into Rush, but not in my area at that time. I got a pair of Adidas Samba in black leather the next year which, thinking objectively, were every bit as good as the Kick but they weren't the same. At the age of 43, I leapt at my chance to finally own a pair of Adidas Kick! They don't have any, but I find myself planning to go back to the store soon and buy something from Adidas, to revisit my childhood if nothing else. What a funny thing brand loyalty is.

LOL - so true.

In Australia with cars we are a little tribal. Traditionally you were Ford or Holden (General Motors Holden) - both designing and manufacturing cars in Australia.

Despite the fact there both of these brands have internationally (or globally) designed and produced cars and a 'Holden' might actually be a Vauxhall or some such thing and the same with the Fords we still classify ourselves as 'Holden' or 'Ford'. So despite the fact that I drive a Honda Civic or a Kia Carnival I'm a Holden man at heart - because my Dad was and probably because his Dad was.....

I think I'm right in saying the Vauxhall VXR8 is based on a Holden? Bloody good car, according to our favourite wags at Top Gear. I, since time immemorial, was a McLaren man. My dad weaned me on motor oil and F1 stats. I and a few friends were practically wetting ourselves watching the duels between Schumacher and Hakinnon about a decade ago. We never missed a race for a whole season. Then Mr Hamilton happened, Ron Dennis got all loved-up and insulted a master-driver and twice World Champion over his "adopted son". I've been in limbo ever since and genuinely felt a sort of "unhoming" at not knowing who to route for. This was further confused by Raikinnon moving to Ferrari and the fact that I'd love to see Rubens win a championship before retiring- one of the true legends of the sport who will, like Coulthard, always be remembered as a "nearly man".
I just hope the quality of Adidas doesn't turn out to be crap!

I noticed an Adidas Originals clothing/shoe store in my nearest mall the other day and had to have a look. When I was 13, my good friend got a pair of Adidas Kick sneakers in black leather. I envied them so much, but my dad wouldn't buy me a pair as I'd just got some Dunlop Green Flash, which might have been cool if you were old enough to be into Rush, but not in my area at that time. I got a pair of Adidas Samba in black leather the next year which, thinking objectively, were every bit as good as the Kick but they weren't the same. At the age of 43, I leapt at my chance to finally own a pair of Adidas Kick! They don't have any, but I find myself planning to go back to the store soon and buy something from Adidas, to revisit my childhood if nothing else. What a funny thing brand loyalty is.

Dunlop Green Flash were never cool!

Ha! I think you're right!
They lasted forever though. I once went as far "down" as Dunlop Amber Flash. Mind you, I was unemployed at the time. ;-)

I think I'm right in saying the Vauxhall VXR8 is based on a Holden? Bloody good car, according to our favourite wags at Top Gear. I, since time immemorial, was a McLaren man. My dad weaned me on motor oil and F1 stats. I and a few friends were practically wetting ourselves watching the duels between Schumacher and Hakinnon about a decade ago. We never missed a race for a whole season. Then Mr Hamilton happened, Ron Dennis got all loved-up and insulted a master-driver and twice World Champion over his "adopted son". I've been in limbo ever since and genuinely felt a sort of "unhoming" at not knowing who to route for. This was further confused by Raikinnon moving to Ferrari and the fact that I'd love to see Rubens win a championship before retiring- one of the true legends of the sport who will, like Coulthard, always be remembered as a "nearly man".
I just hope the quality of Adidas doesn't turn out to be crap!

Damn man, it's Häkkinen, and Räikkönen. I know your keyboard probably doesn't have umlauts but a's and o's will do.

I still like McLaren because of Häkkinen also. Those battles between him and Schumi were great. No other driver was able to beat Schumi during his 'prime' with a great Ferrari to match.

Brand loyalty is a funny thing. It's like coming home, familiar, safe; although I just did ditch Nokia for an iPhone.

Three pairs of casual shoes I always try and have: Adidas Samabas (black, white stripes), Adidas Superstars (shell toe, white, black stripes, though I've been known to have the blue stripes from time to time), and chuck taylor all stars (black). Generally, I'll wear each pair until they nearly fall off my foot. I've had some combination of those since I was about 13. I've made sure I had all three since I got a job. Between those three pairs of shoes, I've got something to wear with a casual outfit.

I remember when the converse all stars in suede came out. I wanted those but the parents put the kabosh on it. I think they are back, but now the wife would put the kabosh on it, since I just bought a non running 1961 Lambretta motor scooter.

Marty

Top Bottom