What's new

New to Straights but not DE Wet Shaves

So I have been wet shaving for almost 1 year. I really would like to try out straight shaving. What are the essentials that I need? I was looking at this so far:

MÜHLE straight blade 5/8"

proxy.php

"Perfect for the straight razor novice, this traditionally-styled razor features a gold-etched, Solingen quality steel blade and comes with instructions for its use.
"
MÜHLE leather strop

proxy.php

"Shaving with a straight razor? Then this two-sided razor strop is a must-have to keep your blades in tip-top condition. The premium leather side is ideal for regular sharpenings while the textil surface on the strop\ s reverse is used for the light honings that extend the period between sharpenings. This item measures 16\ \ x 1 3/4\ \ and features a Nickel-Plated Swivelling Loop for hanging and a Finger Loop Handle."

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/index.html

What else do i need? Is there a better starter razor? I really like the design/looks of this razor, but is there another brand to look at? Dovo? Thanks-

I suspect that razor is actually made by Dovo and the strop you linked to is decent, but you can do better for the price.

I would look here:

http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/category.sc?categoryId=5

For the less than you were going to pay for the razor and strop at Muhle, you can get a Dovo that is very similar (if not identical), but that comes pre-sharpened (straights are not shave ready out of the box) and your choice of a paddle or hanging strop - either of which will blow the Dovo strop out of the watter (I know because I used to have a Dovo strop and then got one from this vendor).

You also need to consider getting a pasted paddle for maintaining your edge (the plain leather/linen strop aligns the blade but doesn't actually sharpen it).

I notice that this site lists the starter sets as out of stock, but you might want to give Tony (the owner) a call to see when they'll be available, as I suspect this is due to him being out of razors.

The other option to save some money is to buy a good reconditioned vintage razor that's been pre-honed for you and then buy a strop or strops from Tony - if you do, be sure to ask for a practice strop so you have a strop to learn on that you won't be as upset about if you nick/cut it.

Hope this helps.

As Chris says, get something from Tony Miller. I got my first razor and strop from him and they were superb. I've made many other purchases from Tony since then, he's an A1 seller. :smile:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Not much to add ... welcome to the wonderful world of straights!

You should get Lynn Abram's DVD for plenty of info on straights ... at classicshaving.com for $20.

I ordered mine. It should be coming in soon along with some razors, a friend and I, sent off from Houston for honing.

Matt - I would definitely recommend the starter kit from Tony at the Well Shaved Gentlemen. His strops are excellent and he can offer you advice on any part of the purchase. I know lots of folks will suggest buying a shave ready razor from a member here or over at Straight Razor Place but one from Tony will be expertly honed and definitely shave ready. :biggrin:

+1 On Tony's deal, but consider this...

I chose the poor man's road when I started (cause I'm a poor student) I got a vintage razor, vintage paddle strop and a barber hone for less than $40. I very quickly leaned I needed more than my barber hone (too coarse) to get the edge to where it neded to be, so I caved in and bought a Norton 4k/8k. Once I had leaned to put a decent edge on my first razor (A Dovo 6/8 Spike), I then shaved with it.

I learned all I needed from online videos and trial/error, but it took over 30 hours of tinkering, reading, watching and repeating to get to the point where I had a nice, sharp razor. Then it took another few months to "perfect" my shaving technique.

If you don't mind being dependant on others for honing and repairs, then go for Tony's deal. If you're patient and like feeling self reliant, maybe this is not the most rewarding path.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
+1 On Tony's deal, but consider this...

I chose the poor man's road when I started (cause I'm a poor student) I got a vintage razor, vintage paddle strop and a barber hone for less than $40. I very quickly leaned I needed more than my barber hone (too coarse) to get the edge to where it neded to be, so I caved in and bought a Norton 4k/8k. Once I had leaned to put a decent edge on my first razor (A Dovo 6/8 Spike), I then shaved with it.

I learned all I needed from online videos and trial/error, but it took over 30 hours of tinkering, reading, watching and repeating to get to the point where I had a nice, sharp razor. Then it took another few months to "perfect" my shaving technique.

If you don't mind being dependant on others for honing and repairs, then go for Tony's deal. If you're patient and like feeling self reliant, maybe this is not the most rewarding path.

I certainly admire your self-reliance right from the get-go, but for most people that's something one aims for over time. Generally, I'd suggest starting off with a professionally-honed razor to ge the feel for a proper straight-shave, and then start practice honing on an e-bay special or similar second razor in the hopes of raising one's technique.

And yes, that self-sufficiency is something to strive for, and one of the reasons we get into straights in the first place.

:biggrin:

Top Bottom