What's new

visible stubble

so I have been getting really good (read as "I'm satisfied with my abilities thus far") as of late switching back and forth between a Geneva Cutlery and a W.H. Morely straight and using Truefitt and Hill sample pack, with a hot shower and a towel as a pre-shave. The only thing I've noticed is that I can never seem to completely remove the visible stubble. When I do shave, it is smooth to the touch in all directions, but I can still see the stubble, quite noticeably on my chin. Now I never was able to get rid of this when using cartridge razors but I thought i would surely be able to using a straight, but i just can't seem to no matter how close it feels like I shaved.
Any ideas or thoughts, or does this happen to any of you guys out there too?

Cheers,
Brian

If I go ATG with the razor as keen as I can get it I can remove it for a short time but its not worth the effort to do it daily. It is very common with dark thick hairs in the beard.

Happens to me too. My test of a good shave is a clean and smooth skin afterwards. I figure that chasing anything more just leads to damage to my face and a diminished shave experience. I shave daily in the early morning and often have evidence of beard by noon time. I know that for many men the fragrance lasts longer than the shave.

Try changing the cream/soap that you use. T&H makes good cream that should provide a close and comfortable shave, but perhaps consider a soap/cream with tallow and/or lanolin like Tabac, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Musgo Real, or Santa Maria Novella. Load the brush a little dryer so that the lather is thicker. You could also try doing 5 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG, XTG, ATG), or make it 4 by excluding the WTG pass. Hit the chin with the XTG, and then the final ATG and you should be set.

If I go ATG with the razor as keen as I can get it I can remove it for a short time but its not worth the effort to do it daily. It is very common with dark thick hairs in the beard.

Luckily my hair is not extremely dark so after a shave I can't see anything but I think if you have dark/thick hair it's going to be impossible without scraping off your entire face to get rid of the visible "stubble".

Even when I get my chin nice and smooth--as BBS as I can get at least--I still see a shadow there. Its a curse those of us with thick dark hairs have I guess. It never bothered me before until now :cursing: Gee thanks!! haha

Welcome my fellow "Blue Beards".

I have very dark brown to black whiskers... and you can always see my beard lines. I'd parrot all of the above, unless you want to remove a good amount of dermis you'll have to live with this.

Just make sure you know which way your hair is growing in that area and blade buff against the grain in that area but don't stress. I judge a shave by how it feels. I wouldn't recommend any more than 3 passes ...for me that is just a recipe for some serious burn! Good luck.

Top Bottom