What's new

Clogged Pores

I get a lot of very clogged pores, especially on my cheeks. This leads to a lot of shave problems and ingrown hairs. What the best way to unclog the pores in the region?

Thanks

HW to open pores, followed by facial cleanser/soap applied with hot water, then cold water and astringent.

PS It won't cure overnight.

I'd suggest trying the Oil Cleansing Method, instead of using soap. Not only does it clear up clogged pores, white heads and black heads, but it also gives the skin a much shinier and healthier look. Good luck. best - MM

First, gentle massaging with a soapy terry wash cloth and warm to mildly hot water will go a long way in reducing the appearance of blackheads and will free up minor in-grown hairs. If, after two weeks of this you see no change, then go to medical therapies.

Tretinoin (retin-a) is the best and quickest method for unclogging pores. It's prescription though.

Salicylic acid is the best over the counter method. You can buy any number of preparations, but 4 or 5 crushed aspirin mixed with a small amount of water or honey makes a scrub/mask that's cheaper and as effective as any packaged product.

Either method should show improvement in about a week, with effective elimination in about a month or so (tretinoin will often work even faster).

Both will help with ingrown hairs as well, but inflamed ones should still be lanced and the hair removed.

Personally I crush up uncoated aspirin with a few drops of water and a squirt of cetaphil, and use as a gentle scrub. Clears those pores right out, and exfoliates in the process.

J

I'd suggest trying the Oil Cleansing Method, instead of using soap. Not only does it clear up clogged pores, white heads and black heads, but it also gives the skin a much shinier and healthier look. Good luck. best - MM

MM - What's the oil cleansing method?

Salicylic acid is the best over the counter method. You can buy any number of preparations, but 4 or 5 crushed aspirin mixed with a small amount of water or honey makes a scrub/mask that's cheaper and as effective as any packaged product.

How often should I use this aspirin scrub/mask?

MM - What's the oil cleansing method?

Basically you GENTLY massage an oil mixture (common is 25% cold pressed castor and 75% extra virgin olive oil - but several "common" oils - grape seed for example - can be substituted or mixed with in place pure olive) onto your face for several minutes. Follow this with a hot wash cloth/towel to absorb the oil (similar to hot toweling your face for a shave). Repeat the towel/wash cloth until it seems all the surface oil is gone.

You can do this at night in place of an evening wash. Some find all they need in addition is a warm water wash in the morning but if you want to transition into this using your normal routine in the morning, that's fine too.

The theory here is oil disolves oil and using a stripping cleanser causes your face to produce MORE oil as it tries to replace the oils you just removed. So allowing oil to disolve away the oil on your face actually reduces the amount of oil you produce.

It works for some (most?) - clearing their skin up nicely, others report worse problems than before so YMMV.

As to the mixture, the castor oil is actually a drying cleanser and the olive oil is a moisturizer that feeds your skin.

My "guess" is that people who do not have success with this don't spend enough time with the hot towel removing the oil.

Good luck. Let us know how it works for you.

Ken

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I get a lot of very clogged pores, especially on my cheeks. This leads to a lot of shave problems and ingrown hairs. What the best way to unclog the pores in the region?

Thanks

The most common cause of clogged pores is the overconsumption of single malt scotch.

Seriously, though, check your diet. That may be a contributing factor.

How often should I use this aspirin scrub/mask?

Once a day is fine. Some irritation is normal for the fist few days, but if it continues for more than a week or gets worse, stop. Honey as a base may be milder than water.

The aspirin should be crushed as fine as possible (this is best: mortar & pestle) but you can crush them using a rolling pin or a mallet with the pills sandwiched in wax paper.

Use it as a scrub for a minute or so (avoid scrubbing red pimples or inflamed ingrown hairs if possible) then leave it on for 10 or 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water. Use benzoyl peroxide or sulfur cream to spot treat the red ones .

You can try the astringent method for blackheads, Neutrogena makes a good one with salicylic acid.

Also, try a clay mask, one made by St. Ives is very cheap and works as well as more expensive products. It lifts debris right out of your pores.

Once or twice a week you could do a salicylic acid scrub, again St. Ives makes a 2% acid scrub for only a couple of bucks.

Heavier duty, you can buy a potent solution of salicylic acid from Skin Laboratory on Amazon. It will give you a moderate chemical peel, it is also an effective anti-aging routine that reduces past sun damage and fine wrinkles.

The retin-A option is not faster, it can take weeks to work, and your skin may get worse before it gets better. Not too mention the potential redness and irritation, but it will definitely work, costs a doctor’s visit plus about $125 per tube with no insurance coverage.

Also, consider buying a blackhead extractor, it will allow you to gently remove the blackheads without pinching your skin.

Top Bottom