What's new

Most overrated shaving product.

Feathers.

Sure they're sharp. Expensive. Have all that mystique of Japanese steel...

But I, me, personally, want a blade that won't punish me for being less than perfect on technique, won't cut me if I ever so slightly push down just a tad more than I should and will give me more than just 1.5 decent shaves before it decides to begin pulling, tugging and just being downright insolent. YMMV of course but I look for products that help me enjoy my shaving and shaving with a feather is the equivalent of having my mother in law around: need to be too careful, too nice and yet I still end up irritated.

OH! and DR Harris soaps...

The Arlington smells outstanding with that whole citrusy fern thing...but the lather is just sub-par. Tallow is so far down the list of ingredients that it doesn't perform any better than something without tallow like the reformulated Trumper's stuff.

The flavor of the month, whatever it is at the moment, is overrated. Practically every shaving product out there has fans, but every now and then there seems to be a surge of excitement over something, Acme razors, Brand X soaps, Magic blades. Everyone is writing about them. Everyone is either buying them or asking if they should buy them.

Then things calm down. The ex flavor of the month keeps a solid base of fans, but also starts showing up on BST. People realize that there are a lot of excellent products out there, but they don't work the same for everyone. There is an interval, then most likely another FOTM.

It's harmless, but may tempt some of us to buy things that we end up not wanting. Then we grumble that they're overrated.

I think everything you love is crap. So there.

I think it would be Barbasol. I never understand the praise it gets. It smells awful, is a mediocre cream at best, and leaves my skin dry like a salt flat.

All the hype around Feather blades. They're death dealing ninja assassin weapons! Beware! Come on, plenty twelve year old boys in Japan probably learned how to shave with them. They're just razor blades, not magic swords.

Until someone starts bragging about Caswell Massey's performance, I don't think that there is a most overrated product. Shaving is too YMMV for this question to have an answer. Every product is overrated and underrated depending on the individual. I may think something is overrated and that very product could give you the perfect shave and vice versa.

I see a lot of people saying MWF, it actually wasn't originally formulated as a shaving soap. It was formulated as a soap to give you soft skin. For a 25 dollar puck it should lather just by looking at it.

Until someone starts bragging about Caswell Massey's performance, I don't think that there is a most overrated product. Shaving is too YMMV for this question to have an answer. Every product is overrated and underrated depending on the individual. I may think something is overrated and that very product could give you the perfect shave and vice versa.

I agree with you. However, it is interesting that some products keep getting mentioned more than others; e.g., Feathers, MWF, Boar or Badger brushes, Proraso green soap [not cream], and other.

I think everything you love is crap. So there.

I think it would be Barbasol. I never understand the praise it gets. It smells awful, is a mediocre cream at best, and leaves my skin dry like a salt flat.

All the hype around Feather blades. They're death dealing ninja assassin weapons! Beware! Come on, plenty twelve year old boys in Japan probably learned how to shave with them. They're just razor blades, not magic swords.

I have a lot of students who are 18-21 year old boys, and many of them have barely any facial hair yet! Some told me they have to shave once a month, and even then they only have a couple of little wispy hairs. Also, most of the, use electrics or multi-blade monsters, because that's what their dads do! (but I agree some people go over the top about Feather blades.... they artist club SS Feather blades are like scalpels though!)

I agree with you. However, it is interesting that some products keep getting mentioned more than others; e.g., Feathers, MWF, Boar or Badger brushes, Proraso green soap [not cream], and other.

I would say that there is somewhat of a consensus around certain products. Many members, myself included, find Feathers over rated, those who like badger brushes do not like boar and those who like boar, like me, find badger expensive for what you get. Many have problems with MWF.

:001_tt2::001_tt2: DE razors are way over rated. I've tried three so far a tech, lady gillette and a red tip. Didn't even feel like I was shaving. :001_tt2::001_tt2:

Last edited:
Top Bottom