What's new

Most overrated shaving product.

Anything with the word SIMSPON on it. Not only highly overrated, but overpriced.

Feathers are what they are, they are amazing!

I'm sitting here feeling really terrible because I rotate between MdC and MWH, sometimes use a Merkur razor, and occasionally, 4711AS. Oh well!

My overrated product is Personna Labs. I love Med Preps and use them exclusively. For me the Labs feel like a completely different blade.

Merkur razors without a doubt tops my list. If ever Vendor Filtering came back, they should be first to get the axe imo.

Feather blades are the only other thing that comes to mind at the moment.

I will add my vote on badger brushes. They are nice, but I find myself enjoying my boars more. All three of my boar brushes combined cost less than my least expensive badger.

I must state that I'm fairly new (about 2 months now) to DE shaving.. I have 3 razors now, a WeiShi, a Parker and just received my Gillette adjustable (black beauty).

I've got a few soaps now, and a few brushes (one boar, one synthetic, one badger silvertip).

I also have several brands of blades and only have gotten to 2 types so far.

The only thing that I really can say that I find myself not really interested in using is the other brushes from my silvertip. If I want to scrub and really clean the pores, the boar and synth are rough enough that I feel like I've sanded my face while the silvertip is extremely soft. I know I've read a lot about brushes needed a period of breaking in, but I'm finding it hard to find it worth the trouble when the silvertip already feels great.

And so far, the worse I've had was when I was testing my new jar of Prorazo (white tub for sensitize skin) and I used the boar brush... ended up with sore skin (red inflamation), and the worse part is that I didn't even shave... that was only from testing the lathering.

Today, just re-used the Prorazo with my silvertip and (also my first use of the Gillette adjustable) and my skin's fine, so it must have been the brush.

So for the question, I'd say boar's brushes, unless I just have a poor example.

As far as price for badgers, I paid about 25$ (with shipping) off eBay for my silvertip, so I don't know why the price is an issue mentionned for many. Maybe less concern with the brand? As far as quality... over a month and only a few hairs came off, it's sturdy and very soft... I'd love to compare it against an expensive one, but I don't see the point.

I must state that I'm fairly new (about 2 months now) to DE shaving.. I have 3 razors now, a WeiShi, a Parker and just received my Gillette adjustable (black beauty).

I've got a few soaps now, and a few brushes (one boar, one synthetic, one badger silvertip).

I also have several brands of blades and only have gotten to 2 types so far.

The only thing that I really can say that I find myself not really interested in using is the other brushes from my silvertip. If I want to scrub and really clean the pores, the boar and synth are rough enough that I feel like I've sanded my face while the silvertip is extremely soft. I know I've read a lot about brushes needed a period of breaking in, but I'm finding it hard to find it worth the trouble when the silvertip already feels great.

And so far, the worse I've had was when I was testing my new jar of Prorazo (white tub for sensitize skin) and I used the boar brush... ended up with sore skin (red inflamation), and the worse part is that I didn't even shave... that was only from testing the lathering.

Today, just re-used the Prorazo with my silvertip and (also my first use of the Gillette adjustable) and my skin's fine, so it must have been the brush.

So for the question, I'd say boar's brushes, unless I just have a poor example.

As far as price for badgers, I paid about 25$ (with shipping) off eBay for my silvertip, so I don't know why the price is an issue mentionned for many. Maybe less concern with the brand? As far as quality... over a month and only a few hairs came off, it's sturdy and very soft... I'd love to compare it against an expensive one, but I don't see the point.

I tried white proraso once in a store, my skin didn't agree either. Though my skin loves proraso green.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
In my opinion, any shaving product(s) and/or paraphernalia considered to be 'premium' (i.e., high-end', top shelf,
luxury ect...)'.
proxy.php

:straight: "Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

Last edited:
Boar brushes are just the fad of the week. There's way too much history and evidence showing badger makes for better shaving brushes. Whoever it was that posted that these forums tend to follow fads and create trends was right. Like I said earlier, I have a boar brush too and it works fine, it's just my EJ super badger brush works FAR better. Not even close whether on cream or hard soap. Feels way better on the face too.

Back in the old days, the boar brush brigade probably wore Sergio Valente jeans and Member's Only jackets... :001_smile

This is an excellent thread, hats off to the creator. I think a lot of products become overated while others are cast aside which are quite good and seviceable. I have posted in the past about bandwagon brands and the percieved value of a product in it's price point alone. Also it's a question of how exotic it is and once it becomes easily available it loses it's luster. The thread is all over the place which is good in my opinion and can show it's not about hype or cost, it's about what works for you. Sometimes we can get burned by what we read on the forums.

Could be, but the writing on my packets seems Turkish. I might be wrong, I'd have to check.

thats cyrillic which is the russian alphabet. they are made in the same factory in St Petersburg as the Russian 7 o'clocks and have the same glue spots on them
JB

Top Bottom