Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Most overrated shaving product.

Images

Feathers.

Sure they're sharp. Expensive. Have all that mystique of Japanese steel...

But I, me, personally, want a blade that won't punish me for being less than perfect on technique, won't cut me if I ever so slightly push down just a tad more than I should and will give me more than just 1.5 decent shaves before it decides to begin pulling, tugging and just being downright insolent. YMMV of course but I look for products that help me enjoy my shaving and shaving with a feather is the equivalent of having my mother in law around: need to be too careful, too nice and yet I still end up irritated.
    Paul aka Mad Man.
    M&F Chief Group Buy 2013.

Support B&B - become a contributor
    B&B Forum Rules | Getting Started | Tutorials
    Forum Etiquette | Acronyms | FAQ | What is a PIF?

Feather Blades

Tabac soap

Cella Soap (good, but just over-rated)
    -Nick

STEWARD TO THE STRAIGHT RAZOR FORUM
    Have a question? We are here to help
    Want to get started? CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebriz View Post
    I just got my first Boar brush a week or so ago, and I'm blown away by how good it is! I'll still use the badger from time to time, but don't see myself ever buying another!
    Welcome to the Boar Army.
    -Jay
    Simpson, when you want a scratchy overpriced brush...

All of the italian soft soaps EXCEPT for RazoRock.

Cella, P.160, Vitos, all of 'em.
    -Matt

OH! and DR Harris soaps...

The Arlington smells outstanding with that whole citrusy fern thing...but the lather is just sub-par. Tallow is so far down the list of ingredients that it doesn't perform any better than something without tallow like the reformulated Trumper's stuff.
    -Matt

To each his own. Had great shave today with Futur, Proraso, Feather.

Mitchells wool fat, I will NEVER understand the fanfare of this product. I could get better lather with toothpaste.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately - Benjamin Franklin

Images

The flavor of the month, whatever it is at the moment, is overrated. Practically every shaving product out there has fans, but every now and then there seems to be a surge of excitement over something, Acme razors, Brand X soaps, Magic blades. Everyone is writing about them. Everyone is either buying them or asking if they should buy them.

Then things calm down. The ex flavor of the month keeps a solid base of fans, but also starts showing up on BST. People realize that there are a lot of excellent products out there, but they don't work the same for everyone. There is an interval, then most likely another FOTM.

It's harmless, but may tempt some of us to buy things that we end up not wanting. Then we grumble that they're overrated.
    "...when I attempt a discourse the words come out as they will, and they may make sense when they strike the atmosphere, or they may not." O.Henry - - "Cabbages and Kings"

I think everything you love is crap. So there.

I think it would be Barbasol. I never understand the praise it gets. It smells awful, is a mediocre cream at best, and leaves my skin dry like a salt flat.

All the hype around Feather blades. They're death dealing ninja assassin weapons! Beware! Come on, plenty twelve year old boys in Japan probably learned how to shave with them. They're just razor blades, not magic swords.
    "I call this the dog scratch!"

Until someone starts bragging about Caswell Massey's performance, I don't think that there is a most overrated product. Shaving is too YMMV for this question to have an answer. Every product is overrated and underrated depending on the individual. I may think something is overrated and that very product could give you the perfect shave and vice versa.

4711 After shave and Cyril R. Salter creams. I think everything else has met or surpassed my expectations.
    Paul - Cartridge to shavette: 4/20/2011. Shavette to straight: 10/13/2011.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsurprise View Post
    4711 After shave and Cyril R. Salter creams. I think everything else has met or surpassed my expectations.

Now I am a big 4711 fan. Once you realize it is what it is, what it is is darn good.
    It is just soap, hot water and a sharp blade. It isn't rocket science or a Zen ritual.

I see a lot of people saying MWF, it actually wasn't originally formulated as a shaving soap. It was formulated as a soap to give you soft skin. For a 25 dollar puck it should lather just by looking at it.
    ~Mack

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    Don't think Astra SPs are Turkish - made in Russia, aren't they?
    Yes, they made in Russia, and the blue Gillette...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChris View Post
    Until someone starts bragging about Caswell Massey's performance, I don't think that there is a most overrated product. Shaving is too YMMV for this question to have an answer. Every product is overrated and underrated depending on the individual. I may think something is overrated and that very product could give you the perfect shave and vice versa.
    I agree with you. However, it is interesting that some products keep getting mentioned more than others; e.g., Feathers, MWF, Boar or Badger brushes, Proraso green soap [not cream], and other.
    Regards,
    Ted
    I ain't as good as I once was...but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by ZJ68 View Post
    I think everything you love is crap. So there.

I think it would be Barbasol. I never understand the praise it gets. It smells awful, is a mediocre cream at best, and leaves my skin dry like a salt flat.

All the hype around Feather blades. They're death dealing ninja assassin weapons! Beware! Come on, plenty twelve year old boys in Japan probably learned how to shave with them. They're just razor blades, not magic swords.

I have a lot of students who are 18-21 year old boys, and many of them have barely any facial hair yet! Some told me they have to shave once a month, and even then they only have a couple of little wispy hairs. Also, most of the, use electrics or multi-blade monsters, because that's what their dads do! (but I agree some people go over the top about Feather blades.... they artist club SS Feather blades are like scalpels though!)
    Member of SABRE

Brian

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyboy View Post
    I agree with you. However, it is interesting that some products keep getting mentioned more than others; e.g., Feathers, MWF, Boar or Badger brushes, Proraso green soap [not cream], and other.
    I would say that there is somewhat of a consensus around certain products. Many members, myself included, find Feathers over rated, those who like badger brushes do not like boar and those who like boar, like me, find badger expensive for what you get. Many have problems with MWF.
    It is just soap, hot water and a sharp blade. It isn't rocket science or a Zen ritual.

DE razors are way over rated. I've tried three so far a tech, lady gillette and a red tip. Didn't even feel like I was shaving.
    Last edited by Skyrider55; 12-10-2011 at 11:01 PM.
    --Jim--

Images

Over-rated? Anything with more than one blade in it.
    David

If you have a problem, PM a Moderator. We're here to help.

2014- The journey continues

Tabac