What's new

Most overrated shaving product.

I'd rather have open pores than clogged pores. Seems to me they're one or the other, but I'm no dermatologist.

As with a sink drain, pores vary from open to blocked and everywhere in between. The clog is made of dead skin cells stuck together by the oil your skin naturally secretes for the purpose of excreting those dead skin cells. Sometimes this substance clogs up the opening, giving you a pimple. While it's possible to exacerbate this by wearing stuff like makeup and oils on your face, the fact remains that, after the initial application of pre-shave oil, a gentleman then spends a decent amount of time scrubbing his skin with soap and a brush, followed by thorough rinsing.

Interestingly enough, exfoliating every day makes your skin secrete even more of its own oil in order to compensate.

I agree with all the people who said that pot metal razors like the 34c are overrated. I have one that I only use for travel, as if I lost it that would be no biggie! I much prefer the modern stainless razors, and after that the vintage Gillette razors that I have. The pot metal razors feel so cheap and I never like the way they sound dragging across my beard.

Pre Shave Oil...the last thing you want in open skin pores is oil...Wow where did all those bumps come from :w00t:

For the record, this is the post that started it all. Nothing in there about closing pores. 'open skin pores' in this context is in contrast to clogged skin pores, which is precisely what happens when excess sebum and dead skin cells build up--a problem which can be exacerbated by additional oils applied to the skin.

I do use pre-shave oil. I also know that skin pores do not open and close (remember all those hot versus cold water threads?). I have stopped using pre-shave oil on the areas where I most often get ingrown hairs and pimples but continue to use it elsewhere. Basically, I see and appreciate both sides of this discussion. I just wanted to point out that the initial post didn't mention closing pores and so this whole mess really did come out of nowhere.

Now let's all have a glass of wine together and forget this nonsense.

For the record, this is the post that started it all. Nothing in there about closing pores. 'open skin pores' in this context is in contrast to clogged skin pores, which is precisely what happens when excess sebum and dead skin cells build up--a problem which can be exacerbated by additional oils applied to the skin.

I do use pre-shave oil. I also know that skin pores do not open and close (remember all those hot versus cold water threads?). I have stopped using pre-shave oil on the areas where I most often get ingrown hairs and pimples but continue to use it elsewhere. Basically, I see and appreciate both sides of this discussion. I just wanted to point out that the initial post didn't mention closing pores and so this whole mess really did come out of nowhere.

Now let's all have a glass of wine together and forget this nonsense.
+1 :a54: the best idea yet. But someone is going to have to "pour", could be a huge issue with where does the most overrated wines come from.:lol:

Alright, here I go. Dont kill me for it, this is just my opinion, speaking from my own limited experience.

L'Occitane Cade shaving cream, any Simpson and Kent brush, Wade&Butcher razors and anything that breaks the bank, but performs equally as well, as a product that's 5x cheaper. My Joseph Elliot 7/8 near wedge is overrated. Some coticules, jnats and Thuringers are also overrated IMO... not sure if they fall under this topic though.

I still love all the mentioned products, just think that the performance they give is not justified by the price and/or the hype they receive.

I also wanna say Arko soap, but it's so cheap, it's not worth the mention. Actually it performs really well, but does not live up to the hype at all.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
For "Product" as I am taking it to mean software, Cade and MWF are the two that I don't get. if they didn't have sexy containers they would be footnotes.

I'll have to go with TOBS sandalwood cream. For me, the scent was horribly artificial and the performance was lacking. Granted, I've only had the opportunity to use a couple other soaps but i'm having much better shaves with Col. Conk Bay Rum.

AOS products. Most hardware are rebranded items that you can get for 1/2 - 2/3 the price if you buy the originally branded items. Their software is absolutely ridiculously priced for the performance they give. They are just good at strategicly placing their stores in wealthier shopping areas filled with people that have more money than sense.

AOS products. Most hardware are rebranded items that you can get for 1/2 - 2/3 the price if you buy the originally branded items. Their software is absolutely ridiculously priced for the performance they give. They are just good at strategicly placing their stores in wealthier shopping areas filled with people that have more money than sense.

I really like their shave creams, one of the few creams I really like. Do agree they are priced too high, probably why all mine have been gifts. Hardware is a totally different matter.

Over rated product for me is the Fatboy. Have one, my Slim and Super Adjustable shave circles around it. My NEWs beat all three.

Top Bottom