What's new

Most overrated shaving product.

... 3. Nivea for Men Sensitive balm. I might be in the minority here ...

I am with you on that one. I purchased my bottle for 4,50 Euros (probably around 6$), which is more than I normally spend on after shaves/balms and not only does it not smell that great (a bit synthetic to me), but it leaves a sticky feel to my skin.

Other than that, my 25 soaps and creams had no real disappointments (save for the awful smell of the Weleda shave cream). but when I compare the cost per shave of my Palmolive and Arko stick to the British creams (Taylor, Trumper, ...) or the Musgo Real... wow...

Yes, the Taylor etc. creams do smell great, but at probably 20 times more money compared to the Arko and Palmolive stick (both around 70 - 80 Cents here)... ouch...

I think some folks have confused "over-rated" with "over-priced". While both of those judgments are subjective, it seems that if a product fails to perform as expected than it is over-rated. If you buy a product that you've read raves about and it disappoints you, well that can reasonably be thought to have been over-rated. However, unlike performance, price is never a mystery when using a product that's new to you. You can get from point A to point B in a Honda just as well as in a Benz, that doesn't make the Benz over-rated (although it may be). If you get a fabulous shave from both soaps A & B but A is 2X the price of B, that doesn't mean it's over-rated. It may be over-priced in your view, but if it gave you a great shave than the rating was perfectly correct. Now if you buy these two highly rated soaps and expect A to perform twice as well as B due to the price, you'll always be disappointed as both your expectations are likely beyond what any soap could do and also well beyond what the raters suggested. In addition, it's not unusual to become hyper-critical when you've paid a high price for a product.

This may sound blasphemous to many, but the Merkur 180/23C. The fit and finish, compared to many other available razors, is just sub par.

In addition, it's not unusual to become hyper-critical when you've paid a high price for a product.

I agree with the rest of your post, but not necessarily this last part. I think often times it is just the opposite...no one wants to pay a bunch of money for something only to feel like they made a poor choice so they will say it is great anyway. I also think this is why people get so defensive over their high priced products.

Last edited:
I think some folks have confused "over-rated" with "over-priced"..

+1

Some do crossover as people who have dropped so much on a bum product are still inclined to brag about how good it is. However the false reports and reviews taint everyone's opinion on a product and then get pissed when they drop a ton of $$$ on it and it winds up sucking or not living up to the fairy tale status that it is suppose to have. Some good examples that come to mind are Pen's SC's, AdP SC, PLISSON shave brushes BIG TIME, and most new DE razors. I guess its a true YMMV thing though. I just dropped a chunk of change of some K10 but find it worth every penny.

Probably MWF for me.
It takes a science to dial it in - when it does get dialed in it is nice however it doesn't me blow-away.
I will continue to use my puck but when it is done, I doubt that it will be replaced.

Feather blades. I have never been able to get a blood free shave from Feathers except in my Tech and only then if I go really slowly and carefully.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I am still waiting for my face to heal from the last and final Feather blade in my sampler pack.

I have recently tried KMF shaving cream and right now I'm not sold. Granted, I haven't yet mastered getting the foam right, but I do know how to get a good thick foam with other products and this one just leaves me stumped. I'm hoping that I can whip this up into something luxurious soon, since the lime is fantastic smelling, but right now it seems to be an under performer for me. If anyone has good luck with KMF cream, feel free to give some pointers for good bowl foam.

Ive read all the opinions posted and here's my take. Ive been into wet shaving about 7-8 weeks now...tried various soaps...blades...etc....and own at present 1 Mekur 34C razor ( backup Mekur on order) and havent even nicked myself once. And since I had a beard for the last 20 years I went into this arena sort of blind......BUT...if I never find a "better" razor than the one I have in hand....and never find a slicker, cleaner cutting blade than Feathers..and my hi glycerine soap is trademarked Col Conk...(I like the lather and I like the aroma)..(even if its made in a glue factory....lol)..if I never get any item better than these I wont be disappointed even 1 iota!

My skin is tough but tender...and i had one blade in my test pack sent me...that was made in Egypt...that I made 4 swipes across my cheek...stopped...tossed that blade and the rest of the 5 pack in the trash. When you get 3 shaves from a 10 cent blade..or you shave all week (7 times) from a 50 cent blade...wheres the advantage of going the cheap route???

Top Bottom