What's new

Brut aftershave?

It was all the rage when I was around 16, which is 39 years ago now.

I can remember that you knew someone was wearing it when they got within 50 yards of you! Ok, an exaggeration perhaps but it was very strong!

Gareth

Not really, I'd liken it more to Clubman except muskier and without such a powdery finish. This stuff surprises me as to how many compliments I get on it. The scent dissipates on me pretty quickly, though.

-Allen

i don't really know what "Clubman" is, as I have never seen it here in the UK (I have heard of it before though). I might just go to ASDA or Tesco, and pick up a bottle to try, it doesn't seem too expensive.

It is quite nice Its unique and its a classic, no doubt. I like it, though I have never really got into using it. They make a surprisingly good quality balm version of their aftershave. Brut is a major 70s icon. They used to have a version of it called 'Brut 33'. John Tavolta wore it in Saturday Night Fever.

It was all the rage when I was around 16, which is 39 years ago now.

I can remember that you knew someone was wearing it when they got within 50 yards of you! Ok, an exaggeration perhaps but it was very strong!

Gareth

+1...Not allowed in the house at this point

My dad used to wear it about 1974

Very distinctive and famed in Britain for its Henry Cooper "Splash it all over" adverts

For our US members: Henry had Cassius Clay on the canvas in 1963 forcing Angelo Dundee to split Clay's glove in order to give him extra time to recover

Henry was battered by Ali in 1966

I bought a bottle yesterday, it was only £3, so not the end of the world if I don't like it. anyway, its not that bad actually. Although something reminded me of gerkins when I put it on. Don't know why. I also still have a Tabac aftershave, which I really like, and have a Taylor's Bay Rum coming today, so I'll have a nice selection to try.

Just a different point of view- I think Brut smells artificial and very cheap. It reminds me of the autospray air fresheners in public rest rooms.

Personally, I have to say that Brut is a knock off of Pinaud Clubman which (afaik) was around a lot earlier, since it was started in 1810 or so. I like Clubman better and think it's much longer lasting but there's nothing wrong with Brut. Just think Clubman is probably the original with a longer lasting smell. :)

Personally, I have to say that Brut is a knock off of Pinaud Clubman which (afaik) was around a lot earlier, since it was started in 1810 or so. I like Clubman better and think it's much longer lasting but there's nothing wrong with Brut. Just think Clubman is probably the original with a longer lasting smell. :)

+1 on that I agree about the knockoff statement, Pinaud rocks! then again anything Pinaud for me is gold.:001_tt1:

Top Bottom