What's new

Healthier: Drinking 3 beers 5 days a week or 6 beers twice a week.

"Researchers considered any man who averaged more than two drinks per day or more than four drinks per occasion to be an excessive drinker. For women it was more than one drink per day or more than three drinks per occasion.

Alcohol abuse kills some 75,000 Americans each year and shortens the lives of these people by an average of 30 years, a U.S. government study suggested Thursday."

While this does say abuse, it does define what is excessive. Most drinkers can easily clear 4 drinks on an occasion, even just occasionally, and are thus considered excessive drinkers and will fall into the above stats. If you don't, then good for you. It's keeping your consumption in the light - moderate range that is the hard part so good luck to you.

For what it's worth (dumb phrase),My granfather was a man of custom and routine.
He was apprenticed as a saddler in 1900,and practised that trade the rest of his life.
As an adult he had a dram of powers irish whiskey and a guinness everyday at lunch.
in the evening he had another pint of guiness at supper,and another dram of whiskey before bed.
he also smoked 5 players navy cut cigarettes a day all his life .
He walked 3 miles to his shop and back 6 days a week.
He lived to be 93. raised 12 children.
Moderation in all things ,including moderation itself.

When all's said and done, alcohol affects your chance of dying by precisely 0%.
Postponing death is a good idea, but don't forget to live while you're doing it.

Heredity may be the key to health and longevity regardless of lifestyle chosen/followed but who knows what tomorrow may bring; nothing guaranteed. All of life's vices in moderation? Vices? Moderation? Enjoy life, you have only one to live, do not let others live it for you and vice versa. If living your life doesn't interfere with others living theirs; live it as you wish but remember that your life isn't anyone's fault but yours--usually/mostly. There are plenty of problems needing solutions besides trying to run others lives for them and it is difficult enough to run/manage your own let alone burdening yourself with others lives/problems.

Last edited:
Google a source does not make. Provide the peer reviewed article info. If you can find one, I'll find at least 2 that say the opposite.
It's sad when people only look for the rare study that proves their habit is healthy, while countless others show how unhealthy it is.
Did you seriously ask a guy on the Internet for a peer reviewed article? To which academic journals do you subscribe, sir?

What does moderate drinking mean?
There is no one definition of moderate drinking, but generally the term is used to describe a lower-risk pattern of drinking. According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans,[SUP]1[/SUP] drinking in moderation is defined as having no more than 1 drink per day for women and no more than 2 drinks per day for men. This definition is referring to the amount consumed on any single day and is not intended as an average over several days.

The problem with the health advice about drinking is they now all say just about the same thing: "Drink as much as you like ... as long as it's not enough to induce a pleasurable effect."
And in saying something like that, they prove that they are missing the point. People don't drink for the sake of drinking. They drink for the pleasure it gives.

Telling us to drink "moderate" amounts that present some risk without any pleasure is about the dumbest option there is. The cost:benefit ratio is infinite!

I rarely drink, and when I do I don't get hammered. But I accept that every drink incurs risk, and I make sure that the pleasure I get makes that risk worthwhile.

When I can afford it, I drink a beer a night.. once in a while I will have 2 or 3 a night but that is rare. The beers I like have a hefty price range. Guinness, Marble Oatmeal Stout, Marble Walnut Stout, Shocktop Ale etc.. you get the idea. Kinda hard to keep the fridge stocked with beer when you can only afford 1 twelve pack a month. I'm a struggling Network/System Admin student. I find that I sleep better at night when I drink a beer and I feel less stressed throughout the month.

Top Bottom