What's new

Healthier: Drinking 3 beers 5 days a week or 6 beers twice a week.

What is healthier to do. Drink twice a week say Friday and Saturday night 4-5 drinks per night (8-10 beers total per week which is what I do) or 2-3 beers per night 5 days a week (10-15 beers per week)?

I do not think either of those is a problem. YMMV.

Widespread and widely published---yes, ACTUAL studies---for the last two decades at least. I'm not going to do your googling FOR you.

Google a source does not make. Provide the peer reviewed article info. If you can find one, I'll find at least 2 that say the opposite.
It's sad when people only look for the rare study that proves their habit is healthy, while countless others show how unhealthy it is.

Last edited:
As a student receiving a degree in Alcohol and Drug Studies, there are proven benefits to consuming 1-2 drinks on a regular basis. In regards to the OP if you think its something that needs to be regulated then it is worth really thinking about and finding what is best for you. In terms of health though, 1-2 drinks can be good for you, 3 is a wash, and more than that does damage.

I have a drink , maybe two once a day. Any drink is good , red wine is the best. I was told by my doctor if you go over two a day on a regu;ar basis , it will work against you.

It's typical for me to have a glass of wine or a beer, sometimes two, with dinner. There are some good viewpoints expressed here but at the end of the day, I think an opinion from your doc is going to be worth more to you than what we're sitting around philosophizing about.

My Dr. asked if I drank at my last physical. I said i normally have a glass or two of wine each evening. She asked of what? I said red wine. And she gave me a 'star.' I said really? She said if you're going to drink that there are benefits to red wine. But she also said that if I didn't drink at all she wouldn't advise starting just for the benefit that red wine may give...

There are much better ways of getting the health benefits that alcohol is related to without drinking alcohol. I still believe that this is an effort to make drinkers feel better about drinking. Resveratrol (the healthy part of red wine) can now be found in supplement form that will neither tax your liver nor your wallet. Most other benefits from alcohol are related to cholesterol which the medical association either doesn't understand at all or is purposefully misleading the public about. Your heart health & cardiovascular health in general are not related to cholesterol (Linus Pauling, a Nobel prize winner knew this). Statin cholesterol drugs are actually partly responsible for an increase in cardiovascular disease. Just listen to all of the side-effects of drugs on the commercials. Most of the side-effects are worse than the initial problem, especially when one of the side-effect is death!

Having a drink or two per evening, less than 7 days a week is really healthy for you:thumbup:
3 out of 4 doctors, 5 out of 7 journal articles on the subject, and 7 out of 10 proctologists agree that a few drinks helps to dissolve the stick up many a person's rectum. Ultimately the pressure that an undissolved stick up the rectum puts on the heart creates much more long term damage than a few drinks do to the liver.

It is better to have one or two drinks a few times a week rather than saving it all up for one or two nights.

Google a source does not make. Provide the peer reviewed article info. If you can find one, I'll find at least 2 that say the opposite.
It's sad when people only look for the rare study that proves their habit is healthy, while countless others show how unhealthy it is.

Really? Sounds like someone has an a priori bias to me. :Yawn:

But here, Let me Google that for you anyway: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=health+benefits+of+moderate+alcohol+consumption

Here's the best one to start with: http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html

Note that it refers to peer-reviewed, published studies from places like Harvard and dating clear back to 1904, meaning that this has been common medical knowledge for over 100 years . . . and lists more sources in the footnotes that you can shake a stick it. Even the one you seem to be, aaaah, holding. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't need google, or peer review, to tell me that civility has more benefits to your health than having a few drinks. :001_unsur

I don't need google, or peer review, to tell me that civility has more benefits to your health than having a few drinks. :001_unsur

But...but...we're not in the Barbershop. Rules don't apply here, right?!

$Regan.gif

Really? Sounds like someone has an a priori bias to me. :Yawn:

But here, Let me Google that for you anyway: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=health+benefits+of+moderate+alcohol+consumption

Here's the best one to start with: http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html

Note that it refers to peer-reviewed, published studies from places like Harvard and dating clear back to 1904, meaning that this has been common medical knowledge for over 100 years . . . and lists more sources in the footnotes that you can shake a stick it. Even the one you seem to be, aaaah, holding. :lol:
At one time the medical establishment also said that smoking cigarettes was healthy. How many people do you think got hooked on smoking and proceeded to die earlier than necessary because of that? How many others have started out thinking I'll drink moderately because it's healthy only to become an addict and lose everything. Keep justifying it all you want, but above all of your justifications the bottom line is that there are way more negatives to alcohol than positives. Just wait till someone you influence to be drinking is injured or worse from the effects of drinking. How many people in court for injuring someone due to alcohol and driving could care less how healthy it was for them when they see how much damage and hurt they have caused. Keep justifying it all you want and make jokes about a stick being somewhere, but I guarantee you that I'm full of joy while you are filling yourself full of empty calories. But honey, this beer gut is healthy for my heart sounds like a fun argument at home too.

But I digress, enjoy your "healthy" alcohol in moderation if you can keep it there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom