What's new

A $100 budget.

As we approach the new year, I thought it time to start to plan for the next 12 months. I am now semi-retired and drifting towards a life of leisure. Before too long, I will be on a fixed income and I thought it would be good discipline to try to live within a shaving budget.

I am comfortable with my basic set-up comprising:

3razors
4years worth of blades
4soaps
3creams
2brushes
1Old Spice mug
3aftershaves.

I don't need anything. I was thinking of a budget of $100 and proposing to spend it thus:

The b&b shave mug if it eventuates
Penhaligans Blenheim Bouquet
A token donation to b&b.

Have you ever tried to set a budget?
How would you spend $100 over a 12 month period?
Assuming the $100 is fixed what would you subtract or add to my wish list?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Ever thought of straight shaving? Your life of leisure would afford you a time consuming hobby....ie Honing, Blade Restoration, blade making, rescaling, etc. You could even buy and sell the fruits of your labors to newbies on the BST... just a thought :).

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If the experts in the government can't set a budget, I for damn sure am not even gonna try!

Seriously, if I had to knuckle down and cut out all unneccessary shave expenses, I would probably not be buying anything except VDH and lapping film for honing, at least until I wear out a strop or two. (maybe 10 years down the road) I got enough razors. I don't need to buy blades because I mostly shave with straights. My brushes are good to go and I just ordered two more silvertips from Larry. Oh, yeah, I would have to replenish my Clubman a couple times a year. I think I could keep my shave expenses down to about $30/year with no problem, for the next 10 or 20 years.

If I were a habitual DE shaver, I wouldn't need lapping film, but I would need blades. I might check out a new sampler pack and reacquaint myself with some blades that I haven't tried in a long time, maybe order some more high end blades. With your kit, I might want to add a mug, so I could use a different soap and not have to wait until I finish a puck. Maybe another brush, and a travel brush.

I have enough razors, blades, and soaps so that a shaving budget for me would cover creams, WH, and ASB. My wife buys me frags for various occasions so a $100 budget would be easy -provided I stay away from eBay. :w00t:

You actually have more than me. $100 is easy sailing in terms of budgets. You'll be fine.
Go to couple estate sales in the early AM get a couple $5 razors flip them and your expanding your budget for the year. Who knows, there may be a Toggle waiting for you for five bucks.......
A hearty congratulations on your semi retirement!

RX beat me to it.

You can barter. Go to antique stores/estate sales/thrift stores/etc... and find old Gillettes for cheap, clean them up and trade them for various products on the BST.

Top Bottom