What's new

Lotion, balm, and splash...what's the difference?

Hey everyone, I've been browsing different online retailers lately, and I had no idea there were so many options when it comes to aftershave. I'm seeing lotions, splashes, and balsams. Since I'm new to all of this, could you all please tell me what the differences are? Honestly, when I was just using a regular gillette type razor, I didn't worry too much about aftershave and all of these other products. Since I'm getting into using a safety razor, I am seeing a need for good aftershave. One particular I'm looking at is Truefitt & Hill. That's actually what sparked me to ask this question. On one site I see they have the lotion and cologne, and another site, they have a lotion and a splash. Is this cologne mentioned in one site, actually a splash? I'm really confused.

Any advice is appreciated, and I'm sorry if this has been asked a lot already.

Phil

First off, remember that there are no real rules here, all of these are marketing terms so words can be used incorrectly, definitions can be stretched, companies can call a product anything they want. That said, there are some general principles that stand-

We need first to differentiate between skin care products and scents -

Scents/fragrances exist to smell nice. Based on the concentration of oils, they're classified strongest to faintest as
Perfume
Eau de Parfum
Eau de Toilette
Eau de Cologne.
Usually, only the last 2 are marketed to men.

Skin care products are applied after the shave as toner, antiseptic, astringent, general skin health giver, etc. Liquid versions are known as splashes, creamy one as balms, somewhere in the middle are the milks. Each one has different ingredients so does different things for your skin. A lotion is usually thicker than a balm, and meant for the hands or body, not the face. Scent, if any, is a secondary consideration.

I think of aftershaves as being split into two distinct categories - splashes and balms.

Splashes are more "watery", and typically are alcohol based, like Old Spice and Aqua Velva. Many manufacturers refer to their splashes as "lotions": "Pinaud Clubman After Shave Lotion"; TOBS "Mr Taylor Aftershave Lotion"; "Tabac After Shave Lotion". Call 'em what you will, they are still splashes.

Balms are a much thicker, heavier consistency, actually more of what I would consider a "lotion" (think of tanning lotion), and are intended to provide more moisturizing properties. Some manufacturers may refer to these as lotions as well, yet I consider them to be balms.

Some manufacturers offer After Shave Milks. I've never tried any but They could be of a consistency between a splash and a balm. I'll let someone with experience in that area comment.

Lotion - it's a liquid
Balm - its a greasy liquid, usually an oil/water emulsion
Splash - a sure sign that I won't buy it.

Ok, so I found a bottle of Skin Bracer by Mennen, it's what my dad used to wear. Lol. Just something for everyday use. I'd still like to find something really nice, to use occasionally. Does anybody else use this or have tried it? Any opinions?

Top Bottom