What's new

Thick Handled v Thin Handled Tech?

I'm not sure about the history and shaving characteristics of Gillette Techs. I think there were the original tech in the late 30s that had thick handles and short, closed combs. It came in nickel and anything version that was gold-plated. Not sure about the period for these Techs.

Then thin handled Techs came in the mid-50s and also came in nickel and gold-plated. The comb was very short and closed. The handle was thin and some of the handles ended in a ball and some did not. This run of Techs went a lot longer, into the early 70s perhaps.

Both are mild shavers but the 30s Tech is milder than the 50s Tech. Something to do with the open comb?

Can anyone correct me? Do I have it right? What are each of these different era Techs worth? Thanks!

Finally, the Gillette NEWs preceded both Techs and are milder than both? What was the time period for the Gillette NEW? Are all NEWs open-combed? How does affect the shaving characteristics?

Well, I have got one thick handled golden tech, one ball-pointed nickel and one ball pointed golden tech. The ball-pointed techś must have been around earlier than the mid 1950's, as I have got a golden one without date code. Maybe all US-made thin techs ended in a ball-point, I have just one British tech who does not. The pattern on the handle is also different with the British tech, and it is about 5 grams heavier than the US version.
The NEW is a more agressive razor in my opinion, mostly due to the open comb. Yet, it shaves well and throughly and much better than the older open-combed Gillettes.
I personally cannot see a difference between thick and thin handled tech when it comes to shaving. Both shave well, but I prefer the thin one, because I don't like the hollow handle, because there is always water inside after shaving.
Techs are great razors because the design is so simple. Maybe it was the best design Gillette ever produced.
By the way, I have noticed that my Tech cannot shave equally well with blades from different brands, while I get equally good shaves with blades from all brands in my superspeeds. Did you noticed that, too?

The Gillette NEW is more aggressive than a Tech. What you are calling a "closed comb" is normally referred to as a safety bar or straight bar. All Techs have the straight bar; all NEWs have the open comb. I personally like the thick Tech handle. I have one from '51. My favorite razor, however, is the NEW, followed by the Red Tip SS and Fatboy.

Norm

My Tech is a thin handled one and I love it. I know the thick handled Tech is older so I wasn't sure if the shaving characteristics were the same. I was thinking I might prefer a thicker handle but of course I did not know about the water in the handle issue. That's something only someone who used one would know. Thanks for that.

I agree with the great design. In fact, the Feather travel razor is almost identical but I find the Tech still gives a superior shave. Once upon a time, Gillette really did get things right.

With re: the blades, I find that the only blades that work for me is Feathers. The rest of my sampler pack tends to leave bumps or not cut close enough. However, this applies to all my razors so while I'm in agreement with your Tech assessment, it applies to me all down the line. I'm close to being a Feathers only man at this point.

So I take it that you prefer the Tech to the NEW? Is there any design that you like as much as the Tech? Is the Tech considered the mildest shaver?

Well, I have got one thick handled golden tech, one ball-pointed nickel and one ball pointed golden tech. The ball-pointed techś must have been around earlier than the mid 1950's, as I have got a golden one without date code. Maybe all US-made thin techs ended in a ball-point, I have just one British tech who does not. The pattern on the handle is also different with the British tech, and it is about 5 grams heavier than the US version.
The NEW is a more agressive razor in my opinion, mostly due to the open comb. Yet, it shaves well and throughly and much better than the older open-combed Gillettes.
I personally cannot see a difference between thick and thin handled tech when it comes to shaving. Both shave well, but I prefer the thin one, because I don't like the hollow handle, because there is always water inside after shaving.
Techs are great razors because the design is so simple. Maybe it was the best design Gillette ever produced.
By the way, I have noticed that my Tech cannot shave equally well with blades from different brands, while I get equally good shaves with blades from all brands in my superspeeds. Did you noticed that, too?

So what are the years for the thick and thin handled Techs? Were they simultaneous? My Tech is B2, meaning presumably the 2nd quarter of 1956. I thought there were no date codes before 55, just serial numbers. How did you date the your thick Tech handle to 51?

I guess I might not like the NEW then. I feel the Red Tip SS is a bit too aggressive and keep my Fatboy dialed low, 1 or 2 for the best shaves.

What do you think about water in the hollow Tech handle?

The Gillette NEW is more aggressive than a Tech. What you are calling a "closed comb" is normally referred to as a safety bar or straight bar. All Techs have the straight bar; all NEWs have the open comb. I personally like the thick Tech handle. I have one from '51. My favorite razor, however, is the NEW, followed by the Red Tip SS and Fatboy.

Norm

Well, do you have a feather travel razor? I also wanted to get one, but I could not find a seller who sends it to Germany yet.
Yes, it is a little bit tricky to find a good blade to be used with a tech. I get great shaves with blades from some brands, but I cut myself quite badly with blades from other. Wilkinson blades do best for me with my tech.
I once bought a hollow handled no-datecode for little money on British ebay. It is not a bad shaver, but I much prefer the ball-pointed handle, both because of water remaining inside after shaving and because the handle doesn't feel heavy enough. I have to problem of remaining water also with my hollow handled Gillette NEW, which shaves on the other hand very well and thouroughly, it is the only open comb razor that I own.

Yes, I have a Feather travel. The Tech and the Feather look very, very similar from the profile. In fact, the head is ALMOST identical. The only head differences I see are 1) the Tech's head is slightly longer (about 1 mm), 2) the Feather's grooves on the safety bar run all the way to the edge, 3) the Gillette logo, and 4) the blade angle. When screwed all the way in, the blade angle on the Feather is slightly flatter. I much prefer the Tech to the Feather. The Feather shaves much more aggressively for me. Therefore, you may like the Feather travel.

http://www.ladysmaidjewels.com/Cblog/archives/001190.html
http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?ltr=F&t=739

I think the Tech is such a mild shaver that it is better paired with a very sharp blade. I like the low profile of the head; it helps me with the tough spots. If you like mild shavers, the Weishi is actually very good as well.

Is the thick handled Tech lighter than the ball-handled Tech? That's interesting. I would have hoped it was heavier. Does the water get in from the top? How much more aggressive than a Tech would you say the NEW is? Less than a Red Tip? Less than a Super Speed?

Well, do you have a feather travel razor? I also wanted to get one, but I could not find a seller who sends it to Germany yet.
Yes, it is a little bit tricky to find a good blade to be used with a tech. I get great shaves with blades from some brands, but I cut myself quite badly with blades from other. Wilkinson blades do best for me with my tech.
I once bought a hollow handled no-datecode for little money on British ebay. It is not a bad shaver, but I much prefer the ball-pointed handle, both because of water remaining inside after shaving and because the handle doesn't feel heavy enough. I have to problem of remaining water also with my hollow handled Gillette NEW, which shaves on the other hand very well and thouroughly, it is the only open comb razor that I own.

So what are the years for the thick and thin handled Techs? Were they simultaneous? My Tech is B2, meaning presumably the 2nd quarter of 1956. I thought there were no date codes before 55, just serial numbers. How did you date the your thick Tech handle to 51?

I guess I might not like the NEW then. I feel the Red Tip SS is a bit too aggressive and keep my Fatboy dialed low, 1 or 2 for the best shaves.

What do you think about water in the hollow Tech handle?

My Fat-handle Tech is W1 date code, or 1st quarter 1951, which is around the time date codes began to be stamped on the razors. The handle is very light, possibly made of aluminum; I don't know. I don't see how water could get in the handle, as it is solid on the tip.
Sounds like your beard is a bit different from mine. The Red Tip is the mildest razor that I use; the NEW is more aggressive. I've been using the Fatboy on 7 and 9. Have you ever tried one of the Blue Tip Gillette Superspeeds? It is the mildest SS, and might work well for you. I see nice ones on ebay, but I know I couldn't use them.
I really don't know what the transition years are for the Tech handles. I've heard that the thin handles are heavier, but I can't say, as I've never owned one.

Norm

That's a very good point about the Blue Tip SS. I knew they existed but it didn't register as much more people like the Red Tip. It's a shame because I recently got a Red Tip and it's in great condition. Probably sell it now and move to a Blue Tip. My favorite razors are my Tech and my Weishi, both very mild razors.

Have you tried a Slant? It might fit you. I think the Feather Travel razor is more aggressive as well

Thanks for your help.

My Fat-handle Tech is W1 date code, or 1st quarter 1951, which is around the time date codes began to be stamped on the razors. The handle is very light, possibly made of aluminum; I don't know. I don't see how water could get in the handle, as it is solid on the tip.
Sounds like your beard is a bit different from mine. The Red Tip is the mildest razor that I use; the NEW is more aggressive. I've been using the Fatboy on 7 and 9. Have you ever tried one of the Blue Tip Gillette Superspeeds? It is the mildest SS, and might work well for you. I see nice ones on ebay, but I know I couldn't use them.
I really don't know what the transition years are for the Tech handles. I've heard that the thin handles are heavier, but I can't say, as I've never owned one.

Norm

Have you tried a Slant? It might fit you. I think the Feather Travel razor is more aggressive as well

I tried the Slant, and got some decent shaves, but I never got really excited about it. Sold mine on the BST forum. I do have the Feather travel razor, and plan to give it a trial run someday. I'll try anything once!

Norm

Top Bottom