What's new

Honemeisters in Kansas City

I have been doing a good bit of searching the forums looking to see if I could find anyone who mentioned anything of a honemeister in the Kansas City area. So far I have not had much luck. I just recently joined these forums and attempted my first shave with a new Dovo Solingen razor. Little did I realize that is had not been honed. I really enjoyed the process of building my lather, all the preshave steps, and shaving with a straight but unfortunately it wasn't as smooth as I had hoped.

I have been reading a lot in regards to what people on this forum think of honing their own razors vs. sending them off to be honed. It seems to me that the majority prefer to hone their own, and very much enjoy the entire process of prepping and taking care of their own blades. I very much would like to do this in the up and coming months. At the moment however I will be sending my new razor off to have it properly honed by someone skilled in that art of doing so. I would like to see what a correctly prepped razor looks and feel likes, for future reference. I purchased yesterday afternoon upon many peoples recommendation, the Lynn Abrams Straight Razor Shaving DVD. I am very excited to get the DVD to add to what I have already learned from these forums.

So back to the original reason for my post regarding a honemeister. Are there any members here on these forums that happen to be a honemeister that lives in or close to the Kansas City area? Or possibly knows someone who is? I have no problem shipping my razor off but would prefer to find someone local that could do it. If there isn’t anyone around my area that does hone razors, who would you all recommend that I send my razor to?

Thanks guys!

Hello,

and welcome to straight shaving :) I think you're absolutely correct to get it honed by somebody else. It seems honing is indeed part of the experience, but takes some time and effort to master. I've got few razors already, honed by others.
You may want to post your request over at straightrazorplace as well.
If you don't find anybody in Kansas City, I believe Lynn and Joe Chandler are one of the most highly regarded honemeisters. They have been doing this thing for years. There are also several others. I've got my razors honed by JoshEarl and Dave (heavydutysg) and they shave great. You can't go wrong with either of them.

Hey, I was wondering about this myself. My Lynn-honed Dovo needs maintenance.

I'm like you, Teenwolf, I intend to be self-sufficient in this somewhere down the road, but it'll take time.

I've been trying to touch up the Dovo with a Swaty hone, and have managed to upgrade it from absolutely-not-usable to close-but-definitely-not-there-yet. I may be sending if off to someone soon, but in the meantime I bought a shave-ready razor from one of the guys on SRP, and it should be here any day.

Lynn's DVD is great. I hate to think of trying to get through this without that resource, and all the help from the forums.

Thanks for the replies. I am getting anxious for the Lynn Abrams DVD to arrive, as well as getting started shaving with my new razor. I am going to take your advice gugi and post my question over a SRP as well. I might just try to get in touch with either Lynn or Joe Chandler to see what their prices are.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom