What's new

Featured Aftershave - Catalyst

The holidays are here and I’m sure everyone is looking for gifts. Both giving and receiving. Nothing looks better than a bottle of Catalyst with the green and amber separation. Nice round bottle that reminds me of Zelda every time I pick it up. I have not found it in any local stores but it is easily ordered on line.

proxy.php

I was very surprised at the quality of this product. After using it for a week my face has felt great with no dryness. From what I gather all of the good skin stuff is contained in the amber liquid and the green is primarily scent. This is of course not scientific but an uneducated guess. A quick shake before use makes it a light green milkshake looking liquid.

The scent is quite nice. At first I get a confused scent with mint and lavender. After it dries a bit the mint fades and I get a nice powdery lavender scent followed by citrus lime. The lime comes on after an hour or so just before the scent is gone.

I highly recommend giving this a try. It passed the wife test with flying colors, looks really cool sitting on the shelf and can currently be picked up for under $20. I’d go as far as suggesting everyone get two.

Ingredients:
Alcohol Denat, Water (Aqua), Ethylhexl Palminate, Ethylhexl Stearate, Fragrance (Parfum), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Propolyne Glycol, BHT, Tetrasodium EDTA, Benzophenone-2, Benzyl Benzdate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Cinnamal, Citral, Cotronellol, Coumarin, Eugenol, Geranol, Hydroxyschexyl-3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Isoeugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Blue 1 (CI 42090), Red 4 (CI 14700), Red 17 (CI 26100), Yellow 5 (CI19140), Yellow 11 (CI 47000)

Attachments

• $22072_l.jpg
    $22072_l.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 837
Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up that bottle does look nice. I like the Zelda reference too. It definitely looks like a potion and the price is right. I think I might give this a try. What's the exchange rate for Rupee's to dollars?:confused1:001_smile

My Catalyst AS came in a bottle shaped like a test tube, not the bulb-type bottle shown here. And my EDT is in a beaker-shaped bottle to continue Catalyst's chemistry theme. I really like the scent, but to my nose it's something like a kitchen in which apple pies and pumpkin pies are being baked, rather than a minty lavender. YMMV, I suppose.

I've been using this since last December, found it on Amazon while looking for some Christmas Stocking Stuffers. The Scent is primarily Lavender, with an initial burst of mint and I also pick up a spiciness in the Background. The Great two-tone look is what caught my eye, the moisturizing properties keep it in my rotation. This Splash has been under the radar too long, give it a try.

My Catalyst AS came in a bottle shaped like a test tube, not the bulb-type bottle shown here. And my EDT is in a beaker-shaped bottle to continue Catalyst's chemistry theme. I really like the scent, but to my nose it's something like a kitchen in which apple pies and pumpkin pies are being baked, rather than a minty lavender. YMMV, I suppose.

I think you have an EDT in another style bottle; http://www.amazon.com/Toilette-Spra..._1_26?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1323398697&sr=1-26

I love to find threads like this on B&B! Helps me to find and discover new products I may like. This Catalyst sounds like a good one, and looks great too! Thanks DogHair!

Small prob though... the link you provided leads to a no longer available sale. Youz guyz musta bought 'em all up! Looks like best you can do with Amazon or anywhere is $17 ish. For me, that puts it in a "need to wait" category, whereas under $10 woulda made me jump on it. Thats ok though, I still appreciate the thread post and link! I'll grab one of these one day!

I remember buying a Catalyst set with two "test tubes" in a zip canvas bag. One was bi-color, the other only one color. I'm guessing AS and cologne? This was a number of years ago, I remember I liked the scent.

I love to find threads like this on B&B! Helps me to find and discover new products I may like. This Catalyst sounds like a good one, and looks great too! Thanks DogHair!

Small prob though... the link you provided leads to a no longer available sale. Youz guyz musta bought 'em all up! Looks like best you can do with Amazon or anywhere is $17 ish. For me, that puts it in a "need to wait" category, whereas under $10 woulda made me jump on it. Thats ok though, I still appreciate the thread post and link! I'll grab one of these one day!

Since I've been buying this AS, the Average price has been $14-17 and IMO is worth the Money, the OP may have found it on sale. Besides Amazon, you might try FragranceX, Fragrancenet or Purfumania, they may have it cheaper or on sale for the Holiday.

This one is ~$16 with Shipping; http://www.amazon.com/Halston-Catal...=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1323473452&sr=1-3-catcorr
This one ships free on orders of $25 or more; http://www.amazon.com/Halston-Catalyst-Men-Aftershave-3-4-Ounce/dp/B000JIJFIG/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1323473452&sr=1-2-catcorr

Last edited:
Since I've been buying this AS, the Average price has been $14-17 and IMO is worth the Money, the OP may have found it on sale. Besides Amazon, you might try FragranceX, Fragrancenet or Purfumania, they may have it cheaper or on sale for the Holiday.

This one is ~$16 with Shipping; http://www.amazon.com/Halston-Catal...=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1323473452&sr=1-3-catcorr
This one ships free on orders of $25 or more; http://www.amazon.com/Halston-Catalyst-Men-Aftershave-3-4-Ounce/dp/B000JIJFIG/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1323473452&sr=1-2-catcorr

Thanks. Edited the post. It was a good deal while it lasted.

I received my bottle and gave it it's first use yesterday. Not going to write a full review here but I wanted to share my thoughts so far.

First, it looks really cool and its a nice bottle and presentation. The seperated liquid thing is really neat.

My wife said she liked it, both in bottle and on me. Said it was a good manly smell! :)
I like the scent also, but I honestly can't put my finger on any particulars to point out about it. For me, it is an all around masculine cologne smell.

I gave it a good shake to mix the contents then poured my usual amount into my hands and splashed it on. There is difinitely an oil and alcohol thing going on here, based not only on the seperated liquids but how it feels. There is a very distinct and quite noticeable moisturizing component at work here. It feels very much like a lotion, almost greasy, while still remaining a thin liquid. It lingered on my hands even after a soapy washing. I didn't like that. However, it felt great on my face! Low sting and super soft skin after drying! I have a few good aftershaves, but none have ever felt like a splash and really worked like a balm. Very nice.

The scent was pretty strong, and lasted several solid hours on me, but not an overpowering or offensive strength. I don't wear any anyway, but I don't think one would need anything on top of this.

All in all it's good stuff and so far I dig it! Thanks all for the recommendation!

...It feels very much like a lotion, almost greasy, while still remaining a thin liquid. It lingered on my hands even after a soapy washing. I didn't like that. However, it felt great on my face! Low sting and super soft skin after drying! I have a few good aftershaves, but none have ever felt like a splash and really worked like a balm. Very nice.

The scent was pretty strong, and lasted several solid hours on me, but not an overpowering or offensive strength. I don't wear any anyway, but I don't think one would need anything on top of this.

All in all it's good stuff and so far I dig it! Thanks all for the recommendation!

Due to the "Slickness" of the Splash I use less than most other Splashes and after applying massage what's on my hands onto my scalp. The scent I pick up is Lavender based with some of the spicy notes of something like Skin Bracer, for me that's a good thing since I like the SB scent.

Is this good for oily skin? I am considering buying a bottle just to try it. I need an aftershave badly, but I am just hung up on what to get.

Is this good for oily skin? I am considering buying a bottle just to try it. I need an aftershave badly, but I am just hung up on what to get.

It doesn't make my skin oily. It has some good moisturizers but not what I'd consider oily in any way. It's relatively inexpensive, worth a try IMHO.

Smells great, leaves skin feeling good, burns like hell. I also think I picked mine up for about $10 on amazon.

This is good stuff, I haven't used this in about 8 years. Nice to see it being re-discovered. I highly recommend the edt as well.

Good i like it. This is best for face skin. Use of this our face skin is healthy and looking good.
I try and use and it experience is best and up to my level.

I'm a little late but that bottle looks so damn cool, do you mix the liquids before using it? I'm so confused as to what that orange thing at the bottom is (other than something that looks super cool!).

so..if there is scents of mint and lavender but NO plants or oils/extracts are listed..how can this be?..I almost wanna buy some

Top Bottom