What's new

Cobra Classic SE Tour

Great Cobra tour review, I am getting one. The reviews by all users have been very insightful and helpful, thanks to all who have taking their time to post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex, get a box of the KAI blades along with your Cobra. You will not believe the difference between the KAIs and the Feathers. The Feathers are great blades, of course, and very sharp. But the KAIs are in a completely different universe -- smooth as glass and laser sharp. Definitely my favorite blades.

Great Cobra tour review, I am getting one. The reviews by all users have been very insightful and helpful, thanks to all who have taking their time to post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you enjoy it Phil, and thanks to all who made this possible.

I thought it was really well-made, not as aggressive as I'd feared, but not a razor I think I could ever relax with. I don't know if that's a complement or a criticism.

I had 3 really nice shaves with only one tiny nick.

Sunday January 22nd, 2012:

-Cobra Classic w/ Kai Captain Mild
-TOBS Avocado SC
-EverReady #100 w/ 20mm badger knot
-Master Bay Rum AS
-Halston I-12 Cologne

Today's shave was truly stellar. A close all over shave, with no tiny nicks, and no tiny weepers. I think the difference lies in the Kai blade, vs. the Feather. The Kai blade seems smoother than the Feather.

This doesn't surprise me, as when I used a Feather Artist Club in the past, I always tended to get small nicks on my face that I didn't get when using my regular straight.

Overall the Cobra is a wonderful razor, except for one thing: I find the handle funky, and difficult to hold in anything except for a N-S configuration.

^Thanks for the video Alex.
you are welcome Noah:wink2:

Alex, get a box of the KAI blades along with your Cobra. You will not believe the difference between the KAIs and the Feathers. The Feathers are great blades, of course, and very sharp. But the KAIs are in a completely different universe -- smooth as glass and laser sharp. Definitely my favorite blades.
I will consider that, but so far I am waiting for all results to get in.:001_smile

The eagle has landed and I am looking forward to taking it for a spin. Thank you for the video Alex.
please log every detail.....:001_smile

Hope you enjoy it Phil, and thanks to all who made this possible.

I thought it was really well-made, not as aggressive as I'd feared, but not a razor I think I could ever relax with. I don't know if that's a complement or a criticism.

I had 3 really nice shaves with only one tiny nick.
just 1 nick, thats good right?:confused1

Monday January 23rd, 2012:

-Cobra Classic w/ Kai Captain Mild
-Floris JF Shaving Soap
-EverReady #100 w/ 20mm badger knot
-Aqua Velva Ice Sport
-Cool Water Cologne

This was a great shave, until I snagged a childhood scar on my upper lip, and it started gushing blood. :blushing::blushing::cursing::cursing:

Finished up the second pass with my Trac II. :001_smile

I will be sending this off to the next participant tomorrow. I have had a long enough run with it. :w00t:

Monday, January 23rd

Razor: Cobra Classic
Blade: Feather Pro Blades
Brush: Simpson Douglas
Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce Lime
Soap: Vintage Trumper Violet (Tallow Version)
A/S: Avon Island Lime

This was my first use of the Cobra Classic. I was a little reluctant at first as it has a reputation for being super aggressive. I did not find it aggressive at all...rather it reminded me more of a more solidly built injector razor. I enjoyed a great, no drama shave. What some people call aggression, I call efficiency. It is true that I can get away with one less pass when using the Cobra but I achieved a BBS shave with zero irritation. Now excuse me while I go shopping for a Cobra Classic...RAD has been reactivated.:w00t:

Slight change to the rotation for Box #1 as Den has graciously dropped out. Reserve lister Saliavin has been added to the rotation after craig87c.

Box 1 From Michael
texbilly
sullybob
michiganlover
norton
agbill
Big W
TheVez2
craig87c
saliavin

Box 2 From Bong
-sluggo
-garyg
-scottb
-bullgoose
-noahpictures
-htownmmm
-Easttexasman
-kingfisher
-shanman

Reserve List
JeffBC
jsj_297
Doodi1
Haiku
MondoJ
gtoface
smalltank

Monday, January 23rd

Razor: Cobra Classic
Blade: Feather Pro Blades
Soap: Vintage Trumper Violet (Tallow Version)
A/S: Avon Island Lime

This was my first use of the Cobra Classic. I was a little reluctant at first as it has a reputation for being super aggressive. I did not find it aggressive at all...rather it reminded me more of a more solidly built injector razor. I enjoyed a great, no drama shave. What some people call aggression, I call efficiency. It is true that I can get away with one less pass when using the Cobra but I achieved a BBS shave with zero irritation. Now excuse me while I go shopping for a Cobra Classic...RAD has been reactivated.:w00t:

I might be in trouble.

Tuesday, January 24th

Razor: Cobra Classic (loaner)
Blade: Feather Professional
Brush: Rudy Bey Beehive
Soap: D.R. Harris Arlington
A/S: Alt Innsbruck

This was my 2nd use of the Cobra Classic and today's shave was even better than the first. During yesterday's shave, I skipped the against the grain pass feeling as if two passes was sufficient. By the end of the day though, there was considerably more stubble than usual. Today, I added the against grain pass and I achieved a true BBS without irritation. I am so impressed with the Cobra that I broke down and ordered one. :thumbup:

Tuesday, January 24th

Brush: Rudy Bey Beehive
Soap: D.R. Harris Arlington
A/S: Alt Innsbruck

This was my 2nd use of the Cobra Classic and today's shave was even better than the first. During yesterday's shave, I skipped the against the grain pass feeling as if two passes was sufficient. By the end of the day though, there was considerably more stubble than usual. Today, I added the against grain pass and I achieved a true BBS without irritation. I am so impressed with the Cobra that I broke down and ordered one. :thumbup:

"loaner" Haha!:thumbup:

Wednesday, January 25th

Brush: Shavemac D01 Horn
Cream: Tabula Rasa Tangerine & Vetiver
A/S: Taylor Bay Rum

I used the Cobra Classic again and received a great shave yet again. While the Cobra has an undeserved reputation of being super aggressive, I find that it is comfortable enough for daily use. Color me as very impressed.

Wednesday, January 25th

Brush: Shavemac D01 Horn
Cream: Tabula Rasa Tangerine & Vetiver
A/S: Taylor Bay Rum

I used the Cobra Classic again and received a great shave yet again. While the Cobra has an undeserved reputation of being super aggressive, I find that it is comfortable enough for daily use. Color me as very impressed.

I felt that same way about the Cobra's aggressive reputation, and the razor in general.

i finally got a chance to get a cobra/kai shave in and it was wicked smooth and nice and not at all uncomfortable in the hand. i took particular note of how i held the razor and it seemed the same for WTG/XT/ATG. pinky was on the bottom "holding" the razor up and pointer was on the top indent and thumb supporting on the other side. light grip.it's the same grip as i use for barrel handles.

Thursday, January 26th

Soap: Trumper Coconut Oil
A/S: Acqua di Parma

The Cobra Classic continues to impress as I enjoyed yet another excellent shave. Unfortunately, my time is up. It has been cleaned and sanitized and will go to Noah this afternoon. The only negative that I can find in the Cobra Classic is changing the blade. The Feather Professional Blade did not want to come out and there was no really good way to grab it (without slicing a finger). I ended up tapping it on a towel and that did the trick.

I have one of my own on the way and I am sure I will figure out a better way to remove the used blades.

Top Bottom