What's new

Cobra Classic SE Tour

Wallacmb - If you have a minute please let me know what samples you tried and what you thought of them. There's some nice stuff in there to try now.

Hi Dave! I tried the strop shop barbershop and black tie. These lathered so easy!
The barbershop had a hauntingly great scent. I found I had wiped some lather off with my right hand and I could not stop smelling it the rest of the day :001_wub: . It is reminiscent of Mikes Barbershop, but the scent had quite the staying power with only Pinaud Vanilla applied after. I think the black tie smells much better lathered than in the tub, but really, both were impressive scents from a company I have only heard of. I had never tried anything from strop shop and I was excited to try two in a week! I am quite happy you introduced me to the company, Dave.
I tried LA Woody Lavender which even sounds like one of my favorite scents. The scent seemed to be cedar wood and a nutty lavender. Great combination for me and the performance was impressive as I was using a very small amount of product.
I was also excited to smell Santa maria novella, as I have been reading about their shop and products. Alas, The MdC was of course the standout and the sample I kept. Beautiful scent and the lathering is ludicrous. It makes me want to visit France...now.
I added samples of Razorock XXX tallow, Fine Vetiver AS, DR Harris Marlborough, and I think the
Last sample I added was the Holy Black Sandalwood Smoke.

The strop shop soaps worked very well with the feather blades as they were the first soaps I used when the blade was new. I kept thinking: this is an aggressive razor? But I tried a sample I received from a friend that did not lather well and I had some major irritation. The razor left with insurance on Tuesday morning, Erik! I will send tracking...I left the slip in my car tonight.

a big thank you to all who have added samples to a now overflowing box! And a big thank you for such a fantastic venture. As a straight user, I would have never bought a safety razor if I had not been part of this tour! I often find the angles on safety razors difficult or awkward, but I loved the freedom with this razor. Aces all around.

Max

Last edited:
List updated, 2 members added.

BabyFace34 (awaiting delivery)
jhadsell1883
shamful7
Dink
Heron
Angelo
Mr Moustache
shaversnapper

Please see the first post for details about the tour, and contact me if interested in participating.

Hi Dave! I tried the strop shop barbershop and black tie. These lathered so easy!
The barbershop had a hauntingly great scent. I found I had wiped some lather off with my right hand and I could not stop smelling it the rest of the day :001_wub: . It is reminiscent of Mikes Barbershop, but the scent had quite the staying power with only Pinaud Vanilla applied after. I think the black tie smells much better lathered than in the tub, but really, both were impressive scents from a company I have only heard of. I had never tried anything from strop shop and I was excited to try two in a week! I am quite happy you introduced me to the company, Dave.
I tried LA Woody Lavender which even sounds like one of my favorite scents. The scent seemed to be cedar wood and a nutty lavender. Great combination for me and the performance was impressive as I was using a very small amount of product.
I was also excited to smell Santa maria novella, as I have been reading about their shop and products. Alas, The MdC was of course the standout and the sample I kept. Beautiful scent and the lathering is ludicrous. It makes me want to visit France...now.
I added samples of Razorock XXX tallow, Fine Vetiver AS, DR Harris Marlborough, and I think the
Last sample I added was the Holy Black Sandalwood Smoke.

The strop shop soaps worked very well with the feather blades as they were the first soaps I used when the blade was new. I kept thinking: this is an aggressive razor? But I tried a sample I received from a friend that did not lather well and I had some major irritation. The razor left with insurance on Tuesday morning, Erik! I will send tracking...I left the slip in my car tonight.

a big thank you to all who have added samples to a now overflowing box! And a big thank you for such a fantastic venture. As a straight user, I would have never bought a safety razor if I had not been part of this tour! I often find the angles on safety razors difficult or awkward, but I loved the freedom with this razor. Aces all around.

Max

Max,

Thanks for the soap reviews. I do really like the Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow soaps and think they are some of the very best I've tried. They keep coming out with new scents that I haven't tried yet and it's making the shave sabbatical more difficult for me.

I'm glad you added the RazoRock XXX as that's a really nice addition to the box. I was going to add some but saw that it was on your list of soaps and wanted to add others you haven't tried yet.

I hope you got a chance to try the Le Pere Lucien as it is a really excellent soap as well.

I'm glad you enjoyed the MdC and figured that's the one you'd want to keep when I put them in the box.

Take care,
David

I'm glad you enjoyed the MdC and figured that's the one you'd want to keep when I put them in the box.

Was it that easy to guess? :lol:
I just used it today! What a great shave. The box should be to Erik. It said delivered on Thursday I believe. I cannot wait to hear what he has to say.

Max

Two shaves and an off day. Feel back to come soon.

Wow. I guess I was more sleep deprived then I realized.

But the quick review so far. I want to love it but evidence so far is not in my favor. I usually use straights and before that I was using a r41 60% of the time I'd say. So I like aggressive or control. But this this just wipes the hair off. The first shave was four passes and started three ingrowns by the corner of my chin. I don't think I've dealt with this for years.

But I have my face a day off and went into heal mode with all my best weapons. Since then I've don't two 2 pass shaves and really like it. I think my biggest issue is finding the right angle. The one I naturally use is quite steep, almost dragging the blade. While effective I think it might be too much so. Shallow angles feel less normal though.

Anyhow. I am going finish out the week with her before packing all the stuff out and sending them along with a final review.

Also the package smells like black jellybeans. I am considering throwing the stirling sample out for the next guy. ;)

C'mon guys this thread is so incredibly boring now, it's supposed to be fun and interesting.

It's almost as bad as getting dragged through IKEA (did that a couple weeks ago), or going to a musical, or watching an interior decorating show, or watching the Oprah show (even worse than the decorating show), or eating a salad as a meal, or talking about feelings, or spring cleaning, or Justin Bieber.

If I was Michael I know I wouldn't have any motivation what so ever to keep this tour going.
So unless you want Michael to take his razor to a Justin Bieber concert after eating a salad meal and talking to Oprah about his feelings I'd suggest you guys start participating here.

Please just take a moment to review the razor and any of the samples you've tried.
I know I put some nice stuff in there and would like to hear your thoughts about it.
I'd definitely like to hear what you have to say about the razor as well.

Please take a few moments to give a little back to this thread in appreciation of Michael sharing his $200 razor for you to try.

Does justin bieber shave yet?

That's funny. I checked with Oprah and she told me that he does not shave yet because he hasn't hit puberty so he doesn't grow facial hair. However, he did shave his legs once but that was just because of a phase he was going through at the time. He used a cart razor and some canned shaving cream to do complete this task.

List updated, member added.

jhadsell1883 (awaiting delivery)
shamful7
Dink
Heron
Angelo
Mr Moustache
shaversnapper
eldonanda
Justin Bieber
mrlandpirate

Please see the first post for details about the tour, and contact me if interested in participating.

Last edited:
It's nice to see that Justin Bieber joined as well. He should be able to shave his legs in half the time with the Cobra.

mrlandpirate you might want to send a PM to poonjaji (Michael) if you'd like to join as that's how I believe it's done with this tour.

Thank you,

Box received, cobra cleaned, locked and loaded. Now for the big decision, what to try with it?
$uploadfromtaptalk1399328302468.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1399328314036.jpg

So I couldn't resist, had to get a shave in tonight. Went through the samples and decided to try the la toja. Whipped up a nice lather with my b&b boar and went to work. After 2 passes I had a nice irritation free shave with 1 small nick on my jaw line. There were a few spots that needed touched up so I went for a third pass. Got a few more nicks on the jaw line and irritation on the lower neck but have the closest shave I have had in a while. Finished up with a cold water rinse, alum block, and proraso green splash.

Initial impression is very good. I have not used a feather blade for a long time and remember how sharp they are now. The razor rewards good technique and definitely lets you know when you need to pay attention. Looking forward to more shaves!

Top Bottom