What's new

Cobra Classic SE Tour

Received the package from Michael earlier today. WOW!! The Cobra is one impressive razor. Nice craftsmanship, hefty, and as my wife says, gorgeous!! The shave? I'll find out tomorrow but based on my first impressions, who cares!! :001_tt1:

Oh yeah, the box includes many goodies that I can't wait to sample. Fantastic package and tour, Michael! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I can't wait for weekly reviews from tour's participants. I've got my Cobra Classic last December and never look back to Futur/Feather (set on 3) which had been my go-to razor before Cobra (and my first razor since I switched from cartridges few years ago). Surprisingly, I found the Cobra being less aggressive then Futur despite scary name and reviews, but giving me BBS shaves with no irritation and literally zero learning curve. I even discover I can apply a little pressure with Cobra and still get away with it.
The only problem with Cobra ( and Futur) is under nose area.

May be some of the tour's folks can specifically address Cobra vs Futur differences ?

P.S. And , please review this nice Italian Leather case, so I have some feeble moral justification to spend 39$ on it :=)

Last edited:
Shaved with the Cobra this morning.

Oh

no

I'm

in

trouble.

:crying:

Oh do tell, since this could go so many ways. :001_smile
  • You dropped the razor and it has been damaged beyond repair. The tour is over.
  • You got so excited about shaving with a new razor that you used a bit too much pressure and "we've got a bleeder." You sent your post from the ER.
  • After shaving with the "gorgeous" razor it has made you equally gorgeous and SWMBO is upset over the attention you will draw. (Your avatar has taken on another aura.)
  • SWMBO bought you a Cobra Classic for Christmas and you are having a difficult time explaining to her this one is a loaner.
  • You bought yourself a Cobra Classic for Christmas and, well, you are in BIG trouble.

Oh do tell, since this could go so many ways. :001_smile
  • You dropped the razor and it has been damaged beyond repair. The tour is over.
  • You got so excited about shaving with a new razor that you used a bit too much pressure and "we've got a bleeder." You sent your post from the ER.
  • After shaving with the "gorgeous" razor it has made you equally gorgeous and SWMBO is upset over the attention you will draw. (Your avatar has taken on another aura.)
  • SWMBO bought you a Cobra Classic for Christmas and you are having a difficult time explaining to her this one is a loaner.
  • You bought yourself a Cobra Classic for Christmas and, well, you are in BIG trouble. BIG TROUBLE SOON!!!

It all started so innocently...
  • "Sure Michael, count me in. I'm a DE guy through and through but you're my friend, so I'll play along."
  • Well, the razor is pretty in the pics but still, only one blade will do? At least my Feather All-Stainless accepts any DE blade.
  • Now that I've held the razor, it does feel nice. Good heft and quality. Still, it's an SE!
  • Better get the obligatory shave over with. Good excuse to try out my newest brush I purchased on B/S/T. I'll also give one of Michael's tour soaps a try as well, just to be nice.
  • This blade loading is weird.
  • Wow, that French Savon soap lathers nicely.
  • Hmm, the Cobra does glide rather well. For such a wide razor, it ain't bad.
  • OK, no damage after the first pass. That wasn't half bad.
  • Let's go forward with my usual XTG second pass, clean up and rinse, and see where we stand.
  • Oh my. No irritation. Smooth.
  • (6 hours later...)
  • Oh my. No irritation. Still smooth.
This.
Is why.
I'm in trouble. :wink2:

Oh Classic Shaving?....

Last edited:
All fun aside, the Cobra is a marvelous razor and can see it in my den in the (near?) future. I was impressed with its ease of use, despite its big wingspan. I look forward to a few more shaves before handing it off to Shawn. Thanks again, Michael!!

Edit: Second shave done, same as the first! :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Three shaves in the book and looking forward to the 4th! I noticed a bit of minor irritation on shave #2 but narrowed this down to the German soap I tried from Michael's package. After a cold rinse, all good! Returned to the French Savon soap for the third shave and my results were as nice as the first. :001_smile

This razor does require a bit of adjustment, at least for me:
  • OK, at the risk of getting too techy engineer-like, the wider blade/surface area produces a bit more drag than a standard DE blade so I found myself using an ultra light touch and resisted adding force to move it along
  • Tight areas like under the nose require some added dexterity - I just pointed one end of its big 'ol head to get in tight areas. No damage so far.
  • As Bong suggested to me, high contour areas (chin line, front of neck...) also require some care. Where a DE blade might cover the area just fine, the Cobra's head might not. Again, a light touch solves a lot of this.
All in all, I'm really impressed and can definitely see a Cobra in my future. I expect I'll get in one, maybe two more shaves before arranging a handoff with Shawn (sullybob).

Last edited:
I'm on the reserve list, so I don't know if I will be able to try it out, but I had a question to ask all of you on the two box lists.

Anybody a head shaver?

I would love to hear comments on its' abilities on the dome.

Thanks Michael and Bong for doing this.

Texbilly nice write ups.

I'm on the reserve list, so I don't know if I will be able to try it out, but I had a question to ask all of you on the two box lists.

Anybody a head shaver?

I would love to hear comments on its' abilities on the dome.

Thanks Michael and Bong for doing this.

Texbilly nice write ups.

+1

How about the cost of the blades? Or are there some blades for the Cobra that are not so pricey?

The Cobra only uses Feather Professional blades. The razor was designed specifically around this blade.

The only other blades on the market that are of the same length, and width are Kai Captain blades.

Kai blades are somewhat difficult to come by in the US, with 1-2 vendors stocking some of them, but not the entire range.

The Feather blades are generally around $22 for a 20 pack.

Top Bottom