first battle wound

nice huh!

Attachments

• $IMAG0084.jpg
    $IMAG0084.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 149

Legion

Staff member
Super glue will stop the bleeding in the short term, but I'd slap hot iron to it as soon as possible.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Chicks dig scars! Your cheek looks a little red too? Might be too much pressure of it is indeed from shaving. I get the same on my jawline if I overdo it.

Chicks dig scars! Your cheek looks a little red too? Might be too much pressure of it is indeed from shaving. I get the same on my jawline if I overdo it.

Today was my fourth straight day using just a straight (pun intended). I actually tried twice before. Once before I found B&B with a razor I got off ebay (Selective) that was sharp, but not shave ready. Of course I did not know that and went back to my cartridge razor briefly before stumbling upon mantic on youtube and switched to DE shaving. after about a year of that I still had the straight bug and bought a razor from whipped dog. Used it once, did not like the shave or irritation, plus my job requires me to be clean shaven and usually I sweat alot. So I put the razor away again. Finally I decided on a compromise, the kai Captain disposable. I used it a couple of times, but couldn't get used to it. So I sold it for the Kai Captain Excelia non-folding style. Now this one I liked and could maneuver around my face much more comfortably. However, I did not get a better shave than with my DE and only use it on occasion. BTW I do consider a disposable straight to be a straight, but not a true straight if that makes any sense to you.

Anyway, the other day I finally decided that I am just going to do it, no de cleanup, no once and done, I will do it and stick with it until I get it right or bleed out trying. So far it is working out, maybe the change in commitment is the key, or having used the Kai helped me get more comfortable. I don't know. What I do know is that it is leaps and bounds better this time around.

The irritation could be from the blade, but I can tell you most of it is from stretching the skin. I have very irish skin, if you just poke my cheek, even very lightly it will turn red. The redness in the picture faded back to normal for me within a couple of minutes of finishing the shave.

Not too bad, but alot of irritation. I looked about the same when I started.
Yep - That nick looks like no big whoop. I'd work on shaving with less irritation if I were in your shoes.

Last edited:
Ah... that's nothin'. Probably didn't even feel it. :)

*edit* Here's my first one... over a year ago, after it had healed up for about a day. This one bled.

Attachments

• $First Straight Weeper.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
The first one is usually the worst. If that's true you got off lucky!

BTW The Kai Excelia is a great razor by many accounts. As your technique evolves the closeness of the shaves will get better. Great start and good luck!

Looks like you got off light Kaze. Doubtless you will be sporting a few more "dueling scars" before it is over. Incidentally, I've skin somewhat similar to yours and if you look for it you will find sharpening methods which will give you excellent irritation free shaves as technique improves. Then your biggest danger will be inadvertently removing too much of the protective layer of dead skins cells. That's BAD(TM).

I doubt if that will even scar. Use a little triple antibiotic cream on it as it heals. You'll hardly notice it after awhile.

I don't mind the irritation this time. it is still better than I would get with a cartridge and it goes away fast.

The things I'm having a devil of a time with is stretching the skin enough in certain places, like under my chin and around my neck. Is it okay to hold the razor straight out like a non-folding style? I do that to reach certain areas. I'm right handed and cannot switch hands, my left is too shaky and it is uncomfortable. Actually I kind of noticed today that when I shave with my kai, I can more comfortably shave the left side of my face than the right side and get a closer shave, whereas it is the reverse for my western style razor.

Anyone with Japanese razor experience care to comment. Does this hold true for the "real" razors or just a quirk of the disposable type. Thanks.

Is it okay to hold the razor straight out like a non-folding style? I do that to reach certain areas.

Sure... I do it for a spot on my neck on my WTG pass. Whatever works best for you. Luc has some different grips pictured in the wiki, I think.

Top Bottom