What's new

Re-release of Simpson Rover vs Simpson Duke 3 Best Badger

I am very new to wet shaving (only been doing it for a little over 2 months) and tend to use soaps 50% of the time and creams 50% of the time. I typically lather 50% of the time on my face and 50% of the time using a bowl. Currently I own a Savile Row 3722 that I use for all my shaves. I enjoy the performance and feel of the 3722 but want to expand my experience to the Simpson line of brushes. Last night after reading the post on the Re-release of the Simpson Rover I placed an order with West Coast Shaving for one. I have been eye balling the Duke 3 for some time and it seems like on the rare occasion a Duke 3 makes it on the BST it gets grabbed EXTREMELY fast. After reading about the Rover I placed the order quickly so I wouldn't "over think" the purchase and end up with buyers remorse. I have a few questions for the folks here that own or have used both of the above mentioned brushes.

1) Can anyone talk to their experience in the differences between these two brushes? (Pros & cons please)

2) Since I am all over the map with how I shave currently is one brush going to perform better for me than the other?

3) Is there enough of a difference between the two that would justify owning both? (I know this is a loaded question)

Thanks as always for the great advice!

Respectfully,

Brent

I just went through this decision myself while also considering the Chubby 2 as an alternative to the two aforementioned brushes. When it came down to it many people had recommended the Duke 3 as an all around "desert island" type of brush that they would never consider parting with. That in light of the fact that the Duke 3 isn't suppose to be quite as dense as the Chubby line which would require longer dry times swayed my decision to the Duke 3 / Rover 2 LE brushes considering the heavy rotation the brush will likely receive. From there I just figured there wasn't a wrong decision for me and enjoyed the visual handle style more on the Duke 3. I'm sorry I can't comment on the specific differences of the two being that I have no experience with either of the two brushes but I did place an order for the Duke 3 which should be here in time for the weekend. Best of luck in your decision and I'm sure some more experienced members will chime in.

As Slappy points out, we discussed this a bit yesterday in his thread.

I own both, and will attempt to answer your questions. The brushes are quite similar. The Rover has a bit more heft in the handle than the Duke 3. The knot of the Rover is less dense than my Duke 3. I'd go so far as to say my Rover has a bit softer tips than my Duke 3 even though both are Best (but keep in mind there is quite a bit of variation between hair qualities in the Simpson line even among the same grade of hair). I think either of these brushes will suit you very well. Both have substantial handles that will allow you to face lather and bowl lather to some extent. Both will be good for creams and soaps, although I'll give the slight edge to the Duke 3 for soaps and the Rover for creams. I wouldn't own both (unless you're me, of course). I'd get a CH2 in Best next for a bigger/more luxurious brush. If you want a knot that is denser that your Rover, then perhaps a Duke 3 in Best or a CH1 in 3-band super. In the end, if you don't like the Rover, put it up on the B/S/T. It'll sell in no time.

One more thing to add: I have been dying to get rid of one of my smaller brushes lately as I have too many, especially Simpsons in Best grade. I keep trying to find an excuse to get rid of my Rover, but I can't. Unique brush, I like the heft of the handle, and the knot is soft and less dense than my Chubbies.

I own both and while I still conisder my duke 3 my favorite, I love my rover 2. In fact, I like the shape of the rover more than the duke. I'm not sure if this true for all, but my duke 3 seems to splay just a bit less than the rover. But they perform equally well in my opinion. I wouldn't be second guessing yourself at all. And I'll tell you what's going to happen. You won't be able to stop thinking about it, and you will soon also buy he duke 3 on the BST, telling yourself that you'll sell the one you prefer less. But you won't. And then you'll be answering other questions like yours.

My Duke 3 also splays less than my Rover. My Duke has a fair amount of scritch to it, and I prefer the much softer tips of the Rover by a wide margin. YMMV.

Top Bottom