What's new

Mystic Water Soaps - Test Shaving Soap Sample

Morning, gents --

Today I used a tallow-based shaving soap made & generously provided by member Eyebright, of Mystic Water Soap.

Those of you who've used a bunch of products -- especially those soaps made & provided by smaller, Mom & Pop companies -- know that it's not easy to make a good shaving soap. Often, what they're selling as "shaving soap" is just their repackaged regular soap with a little additional clay and/or olive oil. To be blunt, most of them suck.

I should begin this mini-review by saying that this is at least the 3rd sample Michelle has given me over roughly as many years. Each time, it's only taken me one shave to determine that the soap still needed work. Not enough cushion. Not enough lather. Good cushion but unstable lather. Etc., etc. You know the drill.

Well. No more. I do believe that Michelle has finally worked out the formula.

My sample is circular, about the same width as a normal puck, and roughly 1/4-1/2" thick. It's very soft & pliable, like an Italian soft soap (RazoRock's Limited Edition comes to mind). I applied it like a shave stick, rubbing it over my stubble, then worked up a lather with my trusty B&B LE '08. The lather was thick, rich, creamy, stable & lasting. It took me a little longer to work up a lather than it does with RazoRock, but not THAT much longer. I used my Cobra Classic loaded with a Feather Pro which, as some of you probably know, can be a very unforgiving combo. I only had time for one pass this morning but that one pass was a pleasure. There seemed to be plenty of glide & cushion. My skin felt nice & smooth afterwards, which is a hallmark of a good tallow soap. I need to use this soap consistently over a few days -- with multiple passes each time -- to really get a good understanding of it. However, my initial sense is that this is a beautifully made, soft tallow soap.

In the note she enclosed with my sample Michelle says that she's planning to offer several fragrances, most of them EO-based. If the fragrances are anywhere near as good as the soap seems to be then folks, we have another winnah.

Nice work, Michelle! :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Might want to change the title of the thread to Mystic WATER instead of Mystic River soaps.

I, too, have tried this newest incarnation of Michelle's shaving soap. I have tried several versions over the past 8 months or so. Her current version is as good as any shaving soap I've ever used. The after shave face feel is incredible. The lather is rich and creamy. I have only used unscented pucks, so I can't say anything about the scents.

I actually prefer this soap to MdC. It is one of only three soaps currently in my rotation, and I reach for this soap about 5 days a week. It's that good.

Might want to change the title of the thread to Mystic WATER instead of Mystic River soaps.

Yeah, that was my screwup. Oops. :blushing: Hello, mods? Can you change that, please?

I agree -- this is indeed a quality soap. Looking forward to checking out the different scents!

EDIT: Thanks for the title change, guys!

Last edited:
Nice review. Are you planning on updating the review after you have used it for several days?

I would like to, yes. Hopefully, I'll a) wake up early enough to shave, and b) remember to update the review after I shave!

Nice review. Are you planning on updating the review after you have used it for several days?

He should definitely do that.

However, I wanted to make sure that you knew that I have shaved with this soap many, many times over the course of the past two months or so. Probably 5 times a week, so 20 times a month times two equals about 40 shaves, give or take. It holds up well on repeated use; still loving it.

He should definitely do that.

However, I wanted to make sure that you knew that I have shaved with this soap many, many times over the course of the past two months or so. Probably 5 times a week, so 20 times a month times two equals about 40 shaves, give or take. It holds up well on repeated use; still loving it.

Thanks. What soap would you compare it to?

Do you happen to know what the ingredients are?

I bought the "Irish Tweed" a year ago (Christmas 2010) when I bought my wife some of the Mystic Water shampoo bars. Michelle was great to deal with when placing the order and told me a lot about her soaps. Obviously passionate about her products. That version of Irish Tweed just didn't seem to provide good glide (if thats what its called when the whiskers seem hard to cut through). But, after the first shave I could really notice how different my skin felt, very smooth. So, by adding a little RSC cream to the soap, I'm getting good shaves. I've used about 80% of the puck. At the time she also had a lavender soap. Glad to hear she kept working at it and making improvements. When I use up the Irish Tweed, might have to try the new version, maybe the lavender this time. I didn't think I would use it that much, yet kept finding myself reaching for it, think it was that great smooth feeling after the shave that did it.

Sounds awesome!!!!! I actually like clay soaps a lot. A certain brand was one of my all time favorites. I recently started using tallow based soaps and there are definitely some good ones. I have been waiting to find a tallow and clay soap. I had emailed a few places about if any of their soaps had both and the answer has always been no. This sounds like my dream shave soap!!!! I look forward to hearing more about the scents offered and further reviews. Sounds like I am going to have to acquire some!

Last edited:
I'm also very interested now. This may be a nice Christmas present idea for a few gents I know.

What dimension are the soaps, in case I want to find bowls for them? Do you ship the pucks in a container or offer them in a bowl?

Is the current soap unscented? If so, is it entirely scent-free? Any idea of what scents you will produce first, and when they might be available?

BayRum is my all time favorite scent!!!! Some manufactures bayrum soaps while I know are well regarded by others to me smell nothing like bayrum. Of course those are the soaps that seem to linger on my skin. Would be awesome if it was a smell I enjoyed but since it's not anything close to a true bayrum It drives me nutz! I have 4 different brands of bayrum aftershave going know all of which I love. I still want to try the others. It is an enjoyable scent. I wouldn't complain about a good smelling strong bayrum. But, I agree not everyone likes a strong smelling shave soap. I am Definitely interested in getting a sample if possible! The Cedarwood with citrus sounds interesting too.

I also think the cedarwood blend sounds good. Might you have anything scented in time for Christmas? If not, I might just order some unscented pucks.

Bayrum smells awesome!!! Thinking it smells like a spiced version! Her regular facial soaps are amazing!!!!! They smell wonderfull like a little heaven on earth while you get lost in the scent. leave your face feeling good!!!! I will be reviewing the bayrum tomorrow if I can take time away from smelling it to actually use it! Michelle is an awesome caring person. Good people in my book. My 3 1/2 yr old daughter smelled the soaps. She gave em a big thumbs up and said good job dad those will make you smell great. The girls will be chasing you. She usally hates the scents I like. she has very refined tastes when it comes to scents, perfume and cologne. The girl takes after her mother. She has class and calls it like she sees it. We say she is 3 going on 29. My 5 yr old said they smelled yummy. He wanted to know which one was his. He then tried to claim the bayrum shave soap. When I said no he said he would like one for Xmas. When I told him it was for shaving. he said he thought he felt some facial hairs growing and needed to shave. He then processed to tell me he would need one of my brushes too!

Last edited:
Top Bottom