What's new

Musgo Real shave stick

Damn! Why does everything have to change. The old formulas worked and I'm pretty sure they would still work. Certain that the Musgo stick would still sell like hotcakes!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Are there any tallow based soaps left among the modern soaps? I've read some nice things about tallow soaps....

There are still many quality tallow based soaps. Here is a short list of my favourite:

Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima (original formula since 1899)
Valobra, Sapone per barba stick
Art Of Shaving (Valobra made)
Czech & Speake (Valobra made)
RazoRock Linea Officina Artigiana
Mitchell's Wool Fat
D.R. Harris
Sir Irisch Moos stick
Palmolive stick

Here is a link to a list of tallowed products I made three years ago or so (around the middle of the page). I go on updating this list when needed. I think it is essentially correct.

About the countries of origin, I retained the manufacturer country, not the country of manufacturing. For instance, the Palmolive stick is in "USA" - though manufactured in Germany -, the Czech & Speake soap is in "Angleterre" (i. e. England) - though manufactured in Italy, and so on.

This is not an endorsement, as somebody uses to say, because :
1) I don't know all these products first hand ;
2) Some are really awful (Monsavon !) ;
3) Though I try to remove the dicontinued ones I am not sure all the quoted products are still available (Palmira, Gal for Men).

Have a good tallowed shave.

Saw a YouTube video with a gentleman using a Musgo Real shave stick. Vintage? Where can I get one?

Well, the gentlemen was Teiste, for sure.
The Musgo Real stick was a nice discovery, a nice pack of them, made by a member of the Portuguese forum (Islander, also a member here), on an old drugstore.
Needless to say that several members of the Portuguese forum adopted the sticks, and there's none available now.

I am lucky enough to have it. And before you ask... they are not for sale! :001_tt2:

Vintage and no longer made. I'd love to get my hands on one.

Correct! We estimate that this vintage soap was probably produced in the 30's - 60's or so, but that is just an extremely rough estimate. The truth is that no one is sure.
Comparing with this advertising from 1939, the lettering and slogan seems to be the same type.

proxy.php

+1 If I remember well it was also tallow based (as the vintage La Toja stick).

Well... it feels and behaves like a tallow soap. And at that time, Ach. Brito/Claus Porto were known for producing mainly tallow soaps.
But the product doesn't have any ingredients list, or a bar code either. So no-one can be sure.

It wouldn't be surprised if this soap contain lanolin as well. But as I said, no-one can be sure.

Oh, and I almost forgot... How about some photos?:wink2:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And some images of the lather, produced with a Vulfix 404 "Grosvenor" boar/badger brush:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Stunning pics indeed, Emanuel! :thumbup: Well, this is what we always get from our SOTD Masters... :001_cool:

There are still many quality tallow based soaps. Here is a short list of my favourite:

Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima (original formula since 1899)
Valobra, Sapone per barba stick
Art Of Shaving (Valobra made)
Czech & Speake (Valobra made)
RazoRock Linea Officina Artigiana
Mitchell's Wool Fat
D.R. Harris
Sir Irisch Moos stick
Palmolive stick

I knew there had to be a VERY good reason why I like Cella this much! Is proraso tallow-based by any chance? Because it almost outpreforms cella IMHO. Or is there another magic ingredient that makes it FABULOUS?

I use both Proraso and Musgo. While I am slightly partial to Proraso, Musgo is an excellent product in its own right. It lathers well (I use a shaving brush) and imo has an even better scent that Proraso which I find to be just a tad too "perfumy"(if that's a word). Musgo has a really pleasant "grassy" scent as some others have said. Like Proraso, I have found that I have gotten the best shaves in my life since I have started using Musgo. It buries every other commercial shaving foam or gel out there. I alternate between the two.
Start using Musgo, and you'll never want to use anything else, except Proraso perhaps. As a newbie to gourmet shaving (I still use cartridge razors), Musgo has worked brilliantly for me, especially when you consider that I shave my head along with my face and neck and have a tough beard.The product doesn't have any ingredients list,or a barcode either. But it is good!

Top Bottom