What's new

My homebrew steampunk brush.

I've been building up a home made shaving set. I started with a blade bank/razor rack, next was a replacement handle for a NEW head, and now I've made a brush.

Here are some photos and details.

You can check out the build threads for the bank and the razor handle here-
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/261084-Photo-journal-of-blade-bank-construction

and here-
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/262541-Homebrew-NEW-handle

I made the handle from copper parts from the plumbing store, pretty straightforward construction but there are several things I will do differently on my second version. This prototype will be given away so after I took some pics with a Whipped Dog silvertip knot in it I set it with a Whipped Dog 22mm black set at 50mm loft. When I make the next one it will have that pretty silvertip in it.

Photos-

Attachments

• $IMAG0753.jpg
    $IMAG0753.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 424
  • $IMAG0758.jpg
    $IMAG0758.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 425
  • $IMAG0759.jpg
    $IMAG0759.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 424
  • $IMAG0760.jpg
    $IMAG0760.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 426
Terrific, love that heavy industrial look. If I tried to get that in our bathroom, my wife would throw it and me out, but I love it! :)

Terrific, love that heavy industrial look. If I tried to get that in our bathroom, my wife would throw it and me out, but I love it! :)

Thanks! I guess I am lucky I do get domain of my bathroom counter. If we shared a vanity I'm sure my SO would shake her head at having this setup within sight.

I like the industrial look too, and My wife wouldn't approve of this either being in sigh in the vanity.

Did you sweat those fittings? That's hard core!

I don't suppose you weighed the handle for balance? That would be cool.

Neat!

I've used the brush twice and lathered one time just to clean it. The knot is blooming out and getting softer already. It shed about 5 hairs on the first two lathers but none this morning. This knot from Whipped Dog is a really great value for the money and Larry is a real gentleman and was very pleasant to speak with and do business with.

$IMAG0764.jpg$IMAG0765.jpg

Did you sweat those fittings? That's hard core!

I don't suppose you weighed the handle for balance? That would be cool.

Neat!

Yes I did sweat the fittings, that ended up not working how I wanted so the brush cup is soldered but the main body is epoxied. My next one will be all epoxy and urethane filler.

I did counterweight it for balance but I am not happy with where I located the weight. I have the counterweight right at the knot base and the brush is too front heavy. I'll fix that on the next one.

and Thanks!

Taking what I learned from making the first brush the second attempt is much cleaner and a bit more refined. This knot seems pretty nice, will give it a try in the morning.

Blooming nicely!

Attachments

• $IMAG0778.jpg
    $IMAG0778.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 149
  • $IMAG0784.jpg
    $IMAG0784.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Great job! The brushes look amazing. Are you going to coat the copper with anything, or are you going to allow it to build a patina?

Great job! The brushes look amazing. Are you going to coat the copper with anything, or are you going to allow it to build a patina?

I'm going to allow them to build a patina. The only thing in my set I've given any clear coat is the steel stand/bank above and the one razor handle which has a steel spring on it. I like the caps and combs on the razors to get some patina on them. I clean the soap scum off them from time to time with a little spray of Kaboom bathroom cleaner and it keeps the patina about "right" not horribly bright, not neglected dull either. I like the well-used-but-cared-for look.

Top Bottom