What's new

Need opinions on a new shave cream for my husband.

Several years ago I bought my husband some eShave shaving cream online, and he really like the results of the shave he got from them as compared to the normal run of the mill shave gels he would buy at the store. He felt it gave him a smoother shave with less irritation.

When Target started carrying the Caldo cream in a tub, I bought some for him to try, and he liked it as well. It was cheaper, and I could buy it locally, which was nice. From looking around, it appears that Target will no longer carry this product, so I'm looking for something new.

Could I get some opinions on what you think he might like? I would prefer something that was a bit cheaper than the eShave. I was looking at the Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Creams as a possibility, but thought I would get some opinions from people who have used more products. I'm also interested in the Proraso, but I'm not sure how the cream in a tube compares to creams that come in a tub. I'm in the U.S. and would also be interested in the best places to get these online...cheapest prices/shipping. I'm up for any suggestions you guys might have. Thank you!

Are you looking for creams that use a brush (I can't remember if e-shave or Caldo use brushes...my spider-sense says "no", especially for Caldo, but then again, I might just be fuzzy-headed?).

If he uses a brush, then a pretty well-respected local option is the Body Shop's cream (you can find the review on this board). I find, along with lots of guys on the board, that it works very, very well for me.

Other local options that work pretty well include: Kiss My Face, which Whole Foods and others carry, and Bath and Body Works carries C.O. Bigelow's rebranded Proraso (look for the box that says "Made in Italy").

For me, Proraso works just as well as Body Shop, and they both work very well (again, for me). Most of the knock on Proraso, from my reading of the board, is the cooling feeling and the scent from the menthol/eucalyptus. If you hate those, the great shave isn't worth it. If you like them, then they're a bonus to the great shave.

I haven't tried Taylor OBS, but it's pretty much a standard recommendation as well.

I guess I'm saying you probably can't go too wrong with any of them.

Welcome to the B&B!

There are many fine creams available, I am assuming your husband is using a brush?

The Taylors you mentioned, Musgo Real is also a lower cost high quality cream.Trumpers, Nancy boy,Crabtree and Evelin The Bodyshop,eshave are some more, Have you considered shaving soaps also? Soaps are more economical and some men prefer them, a single puck can last many months.

The below links is of trusted vendors.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3779

Good luck and I must say your husband is a lucky fellow!

I would recommend checking the reviews section of the website, along with doing searches through the forums for any feedback on certain brands. A LOT of the opinion is simply based on personal taste, so I would center toward things you know he likes. If he prefers more masculine scents, Sandalwood, Limes (though it can be harsh), or something like 1805 by Truefitt and Hill might be a great way to go. If he likes the floral scents, Lavender is often a favorite, and it does wonders for many a person's skin.

BTW, love the handle. is your husband more of a Zaphod or an Arthur?

I would recommend checking the reviews section of the website, along with doing searches through the forums for any feedback on certain brands.

BTW, love the handle. is your husband more of a Zaphod or an Arthur?

Thanks for the welcome.

I've read through the board some over the last few days and that's kind of how I came up with the ones that I am considering. There seem to be so many products out there and so many differing opinions. I probably should just pick up a few different things and let him try them. In fact that's probably what I will do.

He has a brush that I got him, but I don't think he really uses it anymore. I think he used it at first with the eShave, but in the end, I think he just uses his hands to apply it on his face.

I've also thought about checking the local health food place for some Tom's of Maine so he can give that a shot as well. I may start with the Tom's, the Proraso, and the Taylor for now and go from there. I grabbed some King of Shave's while at Target the other day since he is running low. At least after the first shave, I'm not sure he is impressed with it. He'll try it again I'm sure, but I want to find something that he really likes.

I've had this handle, forever. I use it on a lot of boards. And I'm not sure about which he is more of. He doesn't have two faces to shave, so I guess that's good.

Welcome to B&B, I think what you are doing by signing up and looking for gifts for your husband is really cool.

I would recommend Taylor's, they are available from many online retailers, such as www.qedusa.com and www.classicshaving.com. Taylor's are at the low price end of high end shaving creams, but they are very high quality. Personally I love them. My favorite scents are St. James, Mr. Taylor, and Rose, in terms of quality, Avocado provides the best protection and has a light fresh scent (don't worry it doesn't smell like guacamole).

Many retailers, like Charles the man who owns and operates www.qedusa.com can also be great help to you. I'm not positive, but my guess is if you sent him an email (his email address is on his site) and told him how much you would like to spend, he can put together a package for you with creams and some of his own soaps (which he makes himself and are top notch).

Also we have vendors who are members here, one being Sue (screenname Mama Bear) she owns and operates Mama Bear Soaps, if you sent her a PM, I'm sure she'd be happy to help as well. Her soaps are low priced, come in a huge variety of scents Mama Bear and are great products.

Thanks for all your input. I decided to start off with some Musgo Real and Taylor's Avocado, and see what he thinks of those. I ordered from www.qedusa.com. Thanks for that link. Hopefully he will like them. I may pick up a couple more at some point to see if he likes them any better. I may check the B&BW around here and pick up some Proraso to see what he thinks of that as well.

I picked up the C.O. Bigelow rebranded Proraso from my local B&BW, and I have to say that I love it. You have to like the Menthol/Eucalyptus, because it is definitely powerful, but it gives me an exceptionally smooth shave, and leaves my face feeling cool afterwards. You can't get a much better bang for your buck, in my opinion ($10 for a big tube). I have been trying others (C&E sweet almond oil and nomad, and GFT) and so far I have to say this one has performed the best.

those will be great if you can get him a brush... Also, one I've my favorites (And I've YET to find anyone that DIDN'T like the scent) is TOBS Mr. Taylor...

If he just won't go back to using a brush, then I'd probably have to recommend the Nancy Boy cream... It can be used with or without a brush, and is great either way. As a brushless cream you'd be hard pressed to find any better in my opinion. That is assuming he'll use it despite it's name... LOL

I would recommend Proraso. I have or have owned the following:

Trumpers Sandalwood shaving creme (some people love the scent, but i find it like cigerette ashes and baby wipes, unlike their gorgeous sandalwood cologne and shaving soap);

Trumpers Sandalwood shaving soap - perhaps not as good at lathering as the shaving creams but smells gorgeous. I used to sit sniffing it periodically.

Trumpers Violets, and Trumpers Coconut shaving creams - gorgeous smells

Trumpers Rose shaving cream and rose shave soap - nice but smell is a bit much and a lot of men would probably find the rose a bit odd and overpowering.

Taylor's Sandalwood, Lavender and Mr Taylor shaving cremes - smell nice but i found them a bit irritating on the skin

Proraso shaving creme and pre/post shave creme (balm). Both smell lovely and feel great on the skin. The shaving cream doesn't lather quite as well as Trumpers, but i still enjoy using it. Smell is mentol/minty fresh and clean. I think that the tubes contain the exact same stuff as the tubs, but if you want to check you could try somewhere like Amazon.com where they sometimes list ingredients. All the best.

Thanks for the welcome.

I've read through the board some over the last few days and that's kind of how I came up with the ones that I am considering. There seem to be so many products out there and so many differing opinions. I probably should just pick up a few different things and let him try them. In fact that's probably what I will do.

He has a brush that I got him, but I don't think he really uses it anymore. I think he used it at first with the eShave, but in the end, I think he just uses his hands to apply it on his face.

I've also thought about checking the local health food place for some Tom's of Maine so he can give that a shot as well. I may start with the Tom's, the Proraso, and the Taylor for now and go from there. I grabbed some King of Shave's while at Target the other day since he is running low. At least after the first shave, I'm not sure he is impressed with it. He'll try it again I'm sure, but I want to find something that he really likes.

I've had this handle, forever. I use it on a lot of boards. And I'm not sure about which he is more of. He doesn't have two faces to shave, so I guess that's good.

This is not the most effective and cost conscious way to use a lathering cream with a brush you would only use a very small amount 1/4 teaspoon or so with your hand who knows.

This is not the most effective and cost conscious way to use a lathering cream with a brush you would only use a very small amount 1/4 teaspoon or so with your hand who knows.

Great point...it pays for itself by the product that it saves. It also makes the process so much more enjoyable.

without sounding out of line, your hubby is one lucky devil.

If he has a brush, try some soaps from Momma Bear. Also, do try Nancy Boy Signature cream. It's a winner.

Musgo, most definately. Omega is also fine and it's made by Proraso. You get a lot of bang for your buck with that and it shaves very nicely.

Plus you get to rib him about using something called "Nancy Boy"!:biggrin:

I keep telling him that I'm going to get him some Nancy Boy. :)

So far out of the three that I got my husband...the Proraso, the Musgo, and the Taylor's Avocado...he is liking the Musgo. He's only tried them each once, so he hasn't given his final opinion. I think he has only used the Proraso for a neck shave too, so he still needs to give it a try on a full shave. He feels that the Musgo not only gives a nice slickness good for shaving, but he thinks it softens his facial hair a little more giving a more comfortable and closer shave. I'll keep getting feedback from him in the future to see if his opinion on these three products change.

Top Bottom