What's new

My wife likes the way I smell...and she wants to smell good, too.

None of this is to say my wife doesn't smell anything but great as she is...but she's noticed my newly-minted aroma as I've become more passionate about wet shaving, and yesterday, she said that she wants to smell good, too. So I thought I'd solicit some opinions on what your wives/SOs like to wear, and what you like them to wear. I know this is a very YMMV topic, but...

(here's a description of my wife...)

She's very athletic and down-to-earth.
She's not interested in high fashion.
She's not interested in something too overwhelming.
She likes floral scents, doesn't want to smell like a department store.
She's frugal.

Suggestions?

I don't know enough about women's scents to make suggestions, but I do say go into LuckyScent.com and look through there.

They have excellent write ups of scents...a bit over the top... But they can give you an idea of what of the scent might be like. further, there are uncensored reviews of the scents from LuckyScent customers at the bottome of the page. You can search by notes, best sellers, etc. most of the LuckyScent stuff is a bit pricey, but more distinctive than standard department store fare.
It doesn't all cost a fortune.

Whatever suggestions you get, my advice for her is the same as for men- sample! You may want to gift her with something, but that's never worked out well for me. If anything, if you get a list of scents that sound like they might work, purchase samples from The Perfumed Court and let her pick from a selection after she test wears them.

I think that the best idea would be to order her a bunch of samples and let her try them. You could also hit some stores together: try what's available and get samples. I also think that there are some nice fragrances that you can get in department stores that don't smell like department stores (if that makes sense). Chanel has some nice fragrances that are easy to find, and you couldn't go wrong with No.5. My wife really likes No.19. Guerlain also has a lot of good offerings (Mrs. Nid Hog says try Jicky). Tom Ford's Black Orchid is pretty nice too. Since Pen's Artimesia has been suggested, you could order a sampler from them; Creed also has some good ones (Love in Black/White).

I think she'll like Eternity Moment by Calvin Klein. It has a very nice rose scent. It can be worn day or night. Amazon sells it for $35. I can't think of a better deal or recommendation. :closedeye

Of course, all of our suggestions should be taken with a grain of salt. It'd be a shame if you rounded up a full bottle of something-something and it didn't work regardless of whether you spent $20 or $200. I'd suggest the two of you spend some time in a department store or any store for that matter and try a few things. Write some of them down and take some notes then come back to the computer and look up reviews. See what others thought, or compared them to and look up prices. You might want to make a second round of sampling based on comparisons and notes.

All that said, I blind bought a bottle of 31 Rue Cambon (Chanel) for my wife and everytime she wears it we both remark on how good it smells. She loves it. In the summer she also tends to wear Hermes' 24 Faubourg. She like Mitsouko and a few other Guerlain's OK but she's not overly fond of Bond no. 9, Joe Malone, nor Lutens. Finally, there isn't really much of anything else she's tried. She's pretty much sold on 31 Rue Cambon and that's that.

I'll second (third, forth, whatever) all the suggestions to sample. I can't even predict what I will like, much less what my wife will like. Try both ordering samples and picking up samples in stores. Sephora is also a good place to pick up samples. Let her wear each sample and decide for herself which one(s) she likes. Just because you like it doesn't mean she will. And just because she likes it doesn't mean she will want to wear it. Let her choose without judging her selections. And don't make her feel like she needs to hurry up and decide. Let her enjoy the process of trying new scents, no matter how long it takes. She may become like us and never tire of trying new scents, even ones she knows she won't buy. This can be a lot of fun for both of you, to do this together.

Good suggestions. Personal scent is such a, well, a personal thing that choosing it for another person is pretty hard. Aside from sharing a bottle of Bay Rum or Pinaud Clubman, I would ask her to try samples of what sounds good and then give her honest feedback on your impression. Please avoid answering the question: "Does this perfume make my butt look larger?" LOL

Top Bottom