What's new

My Colonel has finally stopped shedding.

Hello Gents.

I purchased my Simpson Colonel back in August and it has been shedding between 5 and 10 hairs each shave, sometimes as much as 20. I got in touch with the supplier and they sent me a link at shaving 101 explaining that it will shed hairs until it breaks in.

I persevered with the brush and this morning while lathering up some MWF in a bowl I noticed no hairs in the dish or the bowl. At last it has stopped shedding. Its taken 3 months to settle down so if anyone is experiencing similar problems, hang in there and it will come good.

Each brush is different, and its hard to tell which one will shed and which will not. Usually the problem resolves itself, but if it doesn't most reliable vendors will make good on it.

Mine did the same, enough so that it was a real concern to me. Odd, it stopped at about the same time frame as yours. Maybe they all do that?

I was getting a lot of hair loss from the Colonel I bought back in August - so I wonder if there was something with that production period.

I ended up getting the brush exchanged by the vendor (WCS, who was great throughout the whole shampoo & comb out phase) and my new Colonel hasnt dropped more that 3 - 4 hairs in total since the replacement arrived just before Thanksgiving. It is a face lathering monster and I love it

glad it all worked out...i love my COLONEL and it is in rotation right now, for the next week or so....great for face and bowl lathering...a very versatile brush.

I had a simpsons chubby 3 that shed about 500 hairs,a duke 3 best that has lost about 300 hairs but seems to be slowing down now.My latest brush,a 30mm thater lost 100 hairs the first couple of shaves,I am on shave 10 now,and it's losing 4-6 hairs...I am hoping it is near the end...

Last edited:
Good grief! I know some shedding occurs, especially with denser brushes that are tough to comb out. But you guys have more patience than I do. I have had some very dense brushes (a couple of D3s and a some Rooneys come to mind) that never dropped a single bristle; once you're into triple digits the problem goes beyond an uncombed brush IMO.

I had a simpsons chubby 3 that shed about 500 hairs,a duke 3 best that has lost about 300 hairs but seems to bee slowing down now.My latest brush,a 30mm thater lost 100 hairs the first couple of shaves,I am on shave 10 now,and it's losing 4-6 hairs...I am hoping it is near the end...

I'd throw in the towel long before 100 hairs much less 3 to 5 hundred! You have the patience of a monk or something.

I'd throw in the towel long before 100 hairs much less 3 to 5 hundred! You have the patience of a monk or something.

my patience was extended on the thater and duke...only because I purchased them second hand...turns out they were still "new" and had not been culled...the 22mm simpson I bought around 1980 never lost a hair either,and was retired only after mold got deep into the knot from a worsening handle fissure...if the thater continues to loose hair I will ship it to the factory,thater is really good about their warranty...simpsons will not touch a second hand brush,sadly..

Maybe I am too easy on my brushes...my Colonel (which I have sold) stopped shedding after about 10 hairs and three uses. Had a M&F that would didn't stop but would only shed about 1 hair every 5 uses. The Thater 2 Band I am using now hasn't shed a single hair in about a month of use.

My Wee Scot and my Duke 2 both shed some hair. The Duke didn't really concern me that much as it was only a hair or two at a time but it did take a few months for it to stop. It still loses the odd hair occasionally. I've even had a few broken hairs which is odd as I don't mash my brushes down. I don't baby them but I don't manhandle them either. I only use enough pressure and vigor to make the brush work.

My Wee was shedding what I thought was an alarming amount of hair. I contacted the vendor, WCS, and they suggested combing it out and using it for a week or so after that. After the comb out and a few uses it has stopped. At least it seem to have stopped.

According to this article shedding for a few months is common on new brushes. http://www.shaving101.com/index.php...sh-basics/80-the-facts-on-brush-shedding.html

Top Bottom