What's new

What to do with blended Scotch?

I recently was given several bottles of scotch. Some of it was good scotch, some of it was ok and some of it I have never had.

Among the gifts were a bottle of Scoresby's and a bottle of Old Smuggler. My somewhat snobbish rules for Scotch are single malts older than 10 years. I am at a loss as to what to do with these bottles.

Are they drinkable as a sipping whiskey or do they need to be mixed with something?

What drinks would be OK with these Scotches?

Well, you are right, you are a bit of a snob when it comes to Scotch.

Why not try drinking them as you would your other Scotch - who knows, you may like one of them! If not, try them over ice. If all else fails, switch to these later in the evening when you are less likely to tell the difference anyway.

If, after trying them, you still don't like them - do whatever you want. People mix this stuff with cola or ginger, next time a friend comes over and asks for scotch with a mix, you will have a bottle ready to use.

Drink them just as you would with single malts. They started out life as single malts. Johnnie Walker black has a lot of Talisker in it as an example.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What to do with blended scotch?

Drink it. :001_tt2:

Drink them just as you would with single malts. They started out life as single malts. Johnnie Walker black has a lot of Talisker in it as an example.

Actually, the blended scotch may likely be from 'Patent stills' (the newfangled contraption that makes most blended scotch) rather than the traditional stills, whence the true single malts come.

The cheaper scotches tend to have less "neat appeal" and need to be blended with something ... making a Rusty Nail is a good option, or the ubiquitous "scotch & soda" is another good idea.

The first thing is to taste them to find out what they taste like. Just dissing them because they don't meet your untested biases does not further your scotch education. These two are not generally considered "sipping" quality, but for some they are just fine. Keep an open mind.

I recommend trying either (both?) in a Rob Roy. You may be surprised.

Blends can be used with a lot of mixed drinks when you would not use a single malt (IMO a single malt scotch in a mixed drink is a mortal sin and waste). Examples: Rob Roy (Mixed with sweet vermouth), Perfect Rob Roy (Sweet and Dry Vermouth), Dry Rob Roy (Sweet Vermouth), Rusty Nail (with Drambuie), Godfather (with Amaretto), Paisley Martini (with Gin and Dry Vermouth). In fact, after two Paisley Martinis the blend with taste better! :sneaky2:

As others have said...taste them. If you like it, drink it. If not, put it in the cocktails/guests you don't like cabinet. :biggrin1:

drink em.surley you wouldnt mix em with anything other than scotch!if you dont like em then give em to a buddy or take em to a party but never dilute em with anything.

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I will open one and see how it tastes neat and with water and then start with the recommendations for mixed drinks.
The Godfather and the Paisley Martini sound interesting.

Put them in the decanter set you'll buy for Christmas from O.co or Pier 1 or someplace to go along with the matching McCormicks gin & vodka, of course! Then foist them on unsuspecting guests, like the Brits do with cheap Port. (No offense to any Brits, of course)

Put them in the decanter set you'll buy for Christmas from O.co or Pier 1 or someplace to go along with the matching McCormicks gin & vodka, of course! Then foist them on unsuspecting guests, like the Brits do with cheap Port. (No offense to any Brits, of course)

That might be considered "mean spirited."

That might be considered "mean spirited."

A-OOO!

Yeah, try it! I like to try every spirit that comes through my door or presence neat before I mix it with anything. Sometimes I'm rewarded with a pleasant surprise (Kraken Rum) sometime it kicks my butt and says, "Not this time, sucka!" (Jose Cuervo, bleh! Decent enough mixer though...)

I would say that most of the Scotch sold in Britain is the blended stuff. Some are very good on their own whilst others are a bit grotty.

My favourite blended is Black Bottle which had a lot of Islay in the blend.

My favourite mix though is Whisky Mac, Scotch mixed with Crabbie's Green Ginger wine. Very warming in the hip flask on a cold winter's day. My late father in law who was a highlander put me onto that mix!

Gareth

Reminds me of a business trip I made to mid-Wisconsin some years ago. I asked the bartender for Dewars and soda - and got Dewars and coke instead of club soda!

It depends on the specific scotch. Some of the blends are great neat or on the rocks (Johnnie Walker) some are only suited for mixing drinks.

Top Bottom