What's new

SOTD Tabula Gratulatoria - December 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mühle R41 + Gillette Spoiler | Cade Überlather | SRD 2011 Thäter Bulb | Sabon ASB | Villoresi Vetiver
proxy.php

What a shave! I'd heard guys talk about this new R41 as an aggressive razor; they were not wrong! I heard it cutting whiskers before it even touched my face. Amund (Blix) warned me to make sure I had a good lather, so I spent some extra time building the Cade into a nice creamy bit of heaven. When I loaded the blade, I could immediately tell this was not like my R89. A LOT of blade sticks out. But, I gently took the razor to my face and it glided effortlessly. After one pass, I was beyond DFS and almost BBS. But I had so much fun that I couldn't bear to not do a second pass. After that run, it rivaled my best BBS from a straight. This is one serious DE.

Gentlemen, I wish you all the happiest of holidays!​

Do I sense a few straights coming up for sale, Bill??:wink2: I used that R41 a few times before I sold it. Not for me, but it does get some love around here. A beautiful close up shot too!

• Pre: Shower and lather
  • Shaving brush: Semogue SOC 2-band
  • Shaving soap: Scottish Fine Soaps
  • Razor: 7/8 Gotta 120
  • Strop: Kanayama
  • Scuttle: SWK XL

proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-12-23

Received this huge Gotta today, what a fine shaver! :smile:

A very majestic shave today, Amund! Very nice!!!:ohmy::001_tt1::thumbup1:

Friday

Music
Eugene Ormandy conducting - The Sleeping Beauty (Tchaikovsky)

Hardware
Bukhave Scuttle
Semogue Owners Club, Cherry wood
6/8" Bonsa

Software
Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
Williams Ice Blue After Shave
D.R. Harris Arlington Cologne

Have a nice day, Gentlemen :001_smile

proxy.php

What a composition!! Great work, Soren!!:thumbup1:

Do I sense a few straights coming up for sale, Bill??:wink2: I used that R41 a few times before I sold it. Not for me, but it does get some love around here. A beautiful close up shot too!

David,

First, thank you for the compliment. Second, while I got one whale of a shave, you won't see me forgoing my straights for a DE anytime soon! I simply appreciate the real shaving gear too much.

Enjoy your Christmas, my friend!

Bill

David,

First, thank you for the compliment. Second, while I got one whale of a shave, you won't see me forgoing my straights for a DE anytime soon! I simply appreciate the real shaving gear too much.

Enjoy your Christmas, my friend!

Bill

Bill, I agree. The R41 is probably the closest a DE will get to a straight, yet ironically, I would put a straight less aggressive than that R41. Each to their own I guess. And a Merry Christmas to both you and your wife...and not forgetting those 2 gorgeous dogs in your household also!

Thank you all, gentlemen! Thanks for your words, I really appreciate them!

Amazing shaves and shots, what a high level we got here! Love it, KEEP THEM COMING!

And a very special Christmas for all of you and your families!!

I was wondering the same thing. That's cool!

Emanuel,
I had no idea Arko comes in canned form too. Where do you get that? All I have seen are sticks. Great shave & shot btw

Robert that's just an Arko stick mashed in to a Grundtal container from Ikea.

They are good containers for soaps.

I was wondering the same thing. That's cool!

Exactly! I use that containers a lot, have several of them. They are made of stainless steel, very sturdy and nice!
Perfect for sticks and soft Italian soaps!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Great shot, Amund. How is the Scottish Fine Soap starting to work out for you?

Thank you and see below :smile:

I'm quite interested too in how you are doing with the soap - I'm struggling getting a stable lather, it dissipates rather quickly, so if you have the trick, I'll be all ears :001_smile
Besides that: Very nice shot :thumbup:

I had to try it quite a few times before I got it to behave. What worked for me was starting with a quite dry brush, load for 30-40 seconds, then slowly adding water and swirling for quite a long time. Reminds me of MWF being a bit finicky for sure :smile: Didn't get superdense lather, but it worked. We'll see after a few more tries.

A very majestic shave today, Amund! Very nice!!!:ohmy::001_tt1::thumbup1:

Thanks David!

Robert that's just an Arko stick mashed in to a Grundtal container from Ikea.

They are good containers for soaps.

Thanks Keith...Once grinded, do you heat them up or what to get them uniform in texture/consistency?

Thanks, Robert, and so glad to have you back!:001_smile

Thank you David

Exactly! I use that containers a lot, have several of them. They are made of stainless steel, very sturdy and nice!
Perfect for sticks and soft Italian soaps!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

That is too cool. Would love to learn the exact process of how you do that Emanuel...Also, how many sticks fit into that container.

Robert, the Arko soap is so soft you can just mush it into the container with your fingers, no grating needed at all.
For the Ikea containers, just cut out a round piece from the original packaging and stick it inside the lid :smile:

Robert, the Arko soap is so soft you can just mush it into the container with your fingers, no grating needed at all.
For the Ikea containers, just cut out a round piece from the original packaging and stick it inside the lid :smile:

Exactly! Blix summarized it perfectly! The same (no grating needed) applies also for the Italian soft soaps.

In fact, of all of those, the only one that I grated was the Erasmic.
The Klar was a little hard too (I believe that it is tripple-milled), but pushing it a little hard, I was able to mash it into the container as well.

As for the quantity, they can accommodate easily three 50g sticks (Wilkinson, Erasmic, Valobra, Palmolive, etc...) or 2 sticks of Arko (75g), and still remains some space.
I would say that each container can easily accommodate something between 150g and 200g of soap. As an example, that 150g of Valobra soap fitted perfectly, with a little of space left.

Exactly! Blix summarized it perfectly! The same (no grating needed) applies also for the Italian soft soaps.

In fact, of all of those, the only one that I grated was the Erasmic.
The Klar was a little hard too (I believe that it is tripple-milled), but pushing it a little hard, I was able to mash it into the container as well.

As for the quantity, they can accommodate easily three 50g sticks (Wilkinson, Erasmic, Valobra, Palmolive, etc...) or 2 sticks of Arko (75g), and still remains some space.
I would say that each container can easily accommodate something between 150g and 200g of soap. As an example, that 150g of Valobra soap fitted perfectly, with a little of space left.

Thanks guys...That is perfect. I will do. I have 1.5 sticks. Will go to local Ikea and get some of these containers and go for it :001_smile:001_smile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom