What's new

Toothbrush Hype

Has anyone else noticed that the hype around the toothbrush isle is about as bad as the cart razors? Every conceivable shape, size battery type . . . and the price!
What's a guy to do? I'm not about to start looking on eBay for a used toothbrush! Anyone found a good serviceable toothbrush for under $3 ?

i use an oral b,batt operated.takes aa batteries,last a good while(i brush 2-3 time a day and comes in around $7

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Has anyone else noticed that the hype around the toothbrush isle is about as bad as the cart razors? Every conceivable shape, size battery type . . . and the price!
What's a guy to do? I'm not about to start looking on eBay for a used toothbrush! Anyone found a good serviceable toothbrush for under $3 ?

I go to my dentist 3 x per year for a cleaning and always get a baggie with a new toothbrush, tooth paste and some floss. These go into my dopp bag for traveling. At home we use the battery operated Oral B brushes we buy at BJ's or Sam's club, four of them are something like $15. They make good cleaning brushes for old razors, too, when they have done their duty in the mouth...

I've gone back to using a manual brush (from Sonicares.) I worked out that when they say electric brushes can do the job up to X % better, they are comparing brushing badly with a manual brush against brushing well with the electric. Brush well with a manual brush and you will be fine IMO.

Boar brushes are good. I got one from Dr Harris for $15, complete with bone handle. It doesn't look retro, it looks 150 years old! Very thorough and much better than acrylic. I used to have an electric toothbrush and you do get that freshly scrubbed feeling with one, but the boar seems to get into the cracks better and ultimately does a better job, without the intensity. My mouth doesn't feel so invaded, but just as clean with a boar.

My hygienist recommended that I get an electric, preferably an Oral B or Sonicare. At the time I had some gum disease. I had a periodontal procedure which is an intensive below gum cleaning/scraping and then took the advise and picked up an Oral B electric. I was really good about flossing and using the brush for about 4 months and my gums got very healthy. Then for some reason I stopped using the electric for 4 months but brushed well with a manual brush and, low and behold, at my next hygienist appointment, my gum health decline. So I started using the Oral B very religiously again and on my next visit there was a huge improvement.

So I'm convinced of the merits of electric toothbrushes. I've since switched to using a Sonicare. I don't think it's better but I wanted to try it out. It seems to whiten the teeth more but the Oral B was better at getting at the back teeth. However, both do a great job keeping the gums healthy which is the most important thing and where electrics really beat manual brushes.

Top Bottom