What's new

C & D Repose PIF

Greetings, Gentlemen!

Last week while driving through North Carolina, SWMBO and I stopped at a famous tourist trap located off exit 97 on I-95 . . . she to pick up cigarettes at a 40% savings over home prices, and me to browse the pipe tobacco selection. I'm fresh out of Autumn Evening, and was hoping to find some there and save the shipping.

No luck with that, so I picked up a 2oz tin of Cornell & Diehl Serenity Series Repose. The label describes it as Turkish, golden Virginia and cubed burley come alive with a light touch of rum. Sounded like fun, and with a name like Repose I could picture myself resting on the porch enjoying a bowl.

Wrong. After three smokes in different pipes, I have come to the conclusion that (to quote Mr. Horse) "no sir, I don't like it." I finally realized this evening why I don't like it . . . there is an underlying cigar flavor to it! Not real strong, but to my palate it is there. Now, 90 minutes later, I still taste it.

Realizing that YMMV, I asked SWMBO what she thought, and she sealed the deal when she admitted that she didn't care for the room note at all.

Being a frugal sort, I can't bear to simply trash a freshly-opened tin just because I don't like it. So, I offer it as a PIF to anyone who either is familiar with this blend and likes it, or to someone who knows they like Turkish blends. For all who post their interest, I'll put names in my empty Autumn Evening tin and draw the winner sometime after supper (Eastern Time) on Sunday, Dec. 4.

I will then obtain the winner's address via PM and send it along for you to enjoy. Your only cost will be to honor the spirit of PIF and pass something along to someone else some day!

Is it real light colored and harsh, I have some C&D "Good Morning" and I find it horrible, Autumn Evening on the other hand is great.

Last edited:
I'm a new pipe smoker, I've only tried a couple pipe tobaccos, none turkish. But I do like cigars, so I'll put my name in the hat.

I have somewhat liked any of the C&Ds I have tried. Plus I smoke cigars some so I don't mind a harsher flavor. I would love to give it a try. Thanks!

I'm with Vez there. I'm very new to pipes, so I haven't tried this blend, but being an inveterate cigar smoker it sounds like something that might work for me. Thanks for the opportunity - very much in keeping with the B&B spirit.

Well, I like Virginias & burley, and I like rum; I don't know about Turkish, but I sure like cigars. I'll give it a shot; count me in, please.

Entries are now closed . . . I've had my supper and a bit of Vanilla Cream in an old Yello-bole. The names have been written on individual slips of paper and are now aging in the empty Autumn Evening tin . . .

SWMBO will now draw the winning name from the tin . . . drum roll, please . . .

And the lucky (?) winner is . . . nrdoty of Joplin, Missouri!

Nick, I'll be in touch by PM!

Wow, that is an interesting smell! I got the tobacco yesterday & I am about to go try some out. Is the flavor anything like the smell? I guess I'll find out soon...

When I first opened the tin I tried to pick through the complexity of the rum and the tobaccos, and couldn't really put a finger on it.

You posted about two hours ago . . . hope the Repose (or SWMBO) didn't do you in . . .

Top Bottom