What's new

Angel Men opinions?

Hey everyone,

Wore a sample of this one today. Wife was so-so on it, I'm on the fence. It is a unique scent and I can see why this one polarizes people into the love-hate camps. I can't help but like it after the drydown...Coffee with a masculine tinge...Dunno if it's worth purchasing, though.

Steve

Me, I'd much rather have a skunk, dunked it a bucked of cat pee grafted to my upper lip, than wear AMen... It, to me, is really the standard by which all other vile scents are judged.

I don't hate A*Men. I wore it for awhile. A lot of women seem to like it. One of the first gourmand scents.

I tend to think it's more of a young mans scent these days. Problem is, like Le Male, many young clubbers wear it, and wear it, and wear it...at a level that's stifling.

If worn somewhat discreetly, it's not as bad as all that.

Lutens Borneo 1834 is sort of a "grown up" version of AMen... Cocoa and patchouli.

What I love about this thread, is so many frags that folks in this thread find vile, disgusting, etc. are frags that are on others "Top 10 Favorites" lists elsewhere. It's a perfect example of YMMV. Remember, these are the "Worst Cologne Ever Tried". There are so many on this "Worst" thread that make me smile, and I understand the polarizing ones like Knize Ten, C&S Cuba, and Kouros, but Habit Rouge and Montale Black Aoud? Really? Like they say, YMMV!

I don't hate A*Men. I wore it for awhile. A lot of women seem to like it. One of the first gourmand scents.

I tend to think it's more of a young mans scent these days. Problem is, like Le Male, many young clubbers wear it, and wear it, and wear it...at a level that's stifling.

If worn somewhat discreetly, it's not as bad as all that.

Lutens Borneo 1834 is sort of a "grown up" version of AMen... Cocoa and patchouli.

Coincidentally, after wearing Chergui yesterday, I sprayed a bit of Borneo 1834 on one wrist and Fumerie Turque this afternoon to see how they compare to the Chergui I wore yesterday. Where the Chergui is a user-friendly sweet honey/tobacco leaf scent, Fumerie Turque is a deep, rich smoky sweet scent that's not so office-friendly, and Borneo 1834 is an earthy, funky patchouli, dry cocoa scent that's going to have a love it or hate it following.

Edit: By the way, I like all three of these, and while I recognize the crudeness in its construction, I still like A*Men, for certain situations.

Last edited:
What I love about this thread, is so many frags that folks in this thread find vile, disgusting, etc. are frags that are on others "Top 10 Favorites" lists elsewhere. It's a perfect example of YMMV. Remember, these are the "Worst Cologne Ever Tried". There are so many on this "Worst" thread that make me smile, and I understand the polarizing ones like Knize Ten, C&S Cuba, and Kouros, but Habit Rouge and Montale Black Aoud? Really? Like they say, YMMV!

These comments really resonate with me. I noticed this selection/post from the referenced The Worst Cologne You Ever Tried thread:

"Tirrenico by Profumi del Forte. This brew is cloying, disgusting and nauseating."

I discovered this fragrance a few months ago and it immediately became my all-time greatest. Every adjective that person used to express his disgust with Tirrenico is the polar opposite of how I would characterize it. His cloying is my light and airy; his disgusting is my delightful; his nauseating is my euphoric. In fact, not only can I not simply write off his opinion of Tirrenico due to YMMV, in this case I'd have to (respectfully, of course) assume he is some sort raving lunatic who has cut off his own nose in an episode of psychotic mania. That's how YMMV YMMV can be.

Tirrenico for President!

Last edited:
I find it rather fascinating as it's so "in your face", I'm surprised there is much of a market for it, it's certainly challenging. Thought about picking up a small bottle, but it's not terribly cheap, and I honestly could think of no places I'd actually want to wear it in public, perhaps around the house, well at least until the drydown, which is pretty nice.

I like Borneo 1834 a lot.

I found A*Men to be atrocious.

Another one to try for a less sweert cocoa note is L’Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme.

Last edited:
SWMBO likes it, but only if put on lightly, otherwise it's too strong.

I find that to be true with most of my frags. There have been several times my wife has commented negatively on a scent that she previously liked, but it's usually because she walks in right after I've sprayed it and gets a full dose. And probably because I've hit the sprayer too many times.

It smells vaguely like a really deep fizzy pop to me. I very much admire it for it's uniqueness, but something about it doesn't appeal to me. I thought my girlfriend would love it but when I sprayed it on and made her take a sniff she didn't much care for it. Same thing with my friend who is also female.

YMMV. If someone gave this to me as a gift I'd wear it every so often on the days my nose needs to smell something interesting and unique, not to wear out though. I don't care for it enough to buy it, but I do respect it. Also, I agree with the statements that no one should ever ever over-apply this. It would smell sticky if someone got a little trigger happy!

I vote.........NO!!

My wife used to wear the women's when it was all the rage but I swear that one is reformulated. You know, get market share and sub natural ingredients with synths.

The other Mugler versions of Angel like Alien are even more putrid. Just my humble opinion.

Top Bottom