What's new

New Shave Mug(s) and Tried some different soap today (Pic heavy)

With with all the recent threads talking about amazing thrift shop scores I went on the search for some new cool stuff today. To my avail, all I found was a couple $1 mugs. Sorry, no $10 pristine vintage Gillette's this time guys. Either way I spent 2 bucks and got a couple interesting mugs. On the way home I thought I'd try the VDH soap a few people have mentioned on here. I grabbed a puck of it from CVS for another $2 and headed home.

I was pretty bored at this point so I thought I'd whip up some of the VDH with my new mug. It actually made a fantastic lather in no time. This is only about 1 minute total of lather work and I wasn't really trying all that hard. My only complaint was that I really thought it smelled terrible. It's hard to describe really, not manly or feminine, just kinda like bland soap I guess. All in all though a good day. Sorry for my boring story and crappy iPhone pics, I just thought I'd share. The blue one will definitely replace my old bowl but the brown one will go to my ugly mug collection. My girlfriend and I have pretty much traveled all over and try to beat each other to find the ugliest coffee mugs we can find and this one will certainly give her some competition.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• $Photo Dec 02, 18 29 48.jpg
    $Photo Dec 02, 18 29 48.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 115
  • $Photo Dec 02, 18 11 23.jpg
    $Photo Dec 02, 18 11 23.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 115
  • $Photo Dec 02, 18 11 18.jpg
    $Photo Dec 02, 18 11 18.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 116
  • $Photo Dec 02, 18 07 28.jpg
    $Photo Dec 02, 18 07 28.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 115
  • $Photo Dec 02, 18 07 37.jpg
    $Photo Dec 02, 18 07 37.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 116
Love the shape of the black mug. Looks like the perfect lathering bowl, nice round bottom, wide enough for circular brush rotation with high enough sides to set a full bowl of lather in a sink full of hot water.

+1 on the Tweezerman, always a good reliable yeoman brush.

What kind of brush is that and howmuch can I buy one for? I need to fine one for an affordable price.

$13.95 on Amazon, the brand is Escali, although I found with a little searching around here you can do a bit better for under $20. Great starter brush though.

Love the shape of the black mug. Looks like the perfect lathering bowl, nice round bottom, wide enough for circular brush rotation with high enough sides to set a full bowl of lather in a sink full of hot water.

+1 on the Tweezerman, always a good reliable yeoman brush.

Thanks! I've been using a little Miso soup bowl for a few months and it's really just too small. As soon as I swirled the brush around a few times a realized how much more pleased I would be with this one. You really do need a little breathing room to lather

$13.95 on Amazon, the brand is Escali, although I found with a little searching around here you can do a bit better for under $20. Great starter brush though.

What can you suggest under 20 dollars for a brush? I'm a student and can't really spend much. lol Have to save everything up for anything I need.

What can you suggest under 20 dollars for a brush? I'm a student and can't really spend much. lol Have to save everything up for anything I need.

Weeeell I'm no expert but many on here will recommend Omega, Simspon or Semogues that are surprisingly cheap for what you're getting. Just go back to the main forum page and click on "Shaving Brushes" You'll find TONS of info. I just bought a Somogue 1305 but it's still in the mail unfortunately, I will report back though.

Here's my thrift shop shaving mug. A bit silly yes, but it's like your's it's nicely rounded on the bottom with plenty of swing'n room.

Attachments

• $IMG_1485.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 63
Here's my thrift shop shaving mug. A bit silly yes, but it's like your's it's nicely rounded on the bottom with plenty of swing'n room.

haha that's pretty funny actually, adds a little shave den character. I just ordered the same brush. How are you liking it?

Top Bottom