What's new

Best Epoxies

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I use Devcon 5 min two-part epoxy on all my brushes. Never had any problem, I believe this is the best product choice for gluing a knot in a handle.

Thanks, guys! This is really helpful stuff.

I had some epoxies lying around the house--Super Glue, Gorilla Glue, maybe a few other glues--but really wasn't sure if any of them would do the trick.

It sounds like even if they WOULD do the trick, Devcon would do it better.

Thanks, guys! This is really helpful stuff.

I had some epoxies lying around the house--Super Glue, Gorilla Glue, maybe a few other glues--but really wasn't sure if any of them would do the trick.

It sounds like even if they WOULD do the trick, Devcon would do it better.

Watch out for Gorilla Glue...it expands when it dries. Someone here recently had a handle crack badly after filling it with GG.

Thanks, Snargle, I hadn't heard that about Gorilla Glue. Any other epoxies that expand too much for brushmaking?

Another vote for Devcon 5 minute epoxy. Sells for under $4.00 at Lowes and I can usually set 6-8 knots with one pack. Make sure you get the one that dries clear. I would avoid gorilla glue. It expands and they do not make one, at least to my knowledge, that dries clear.

I use the Loctite 1 hour epoxy in the 8oz. kit, but only because that's what I keep around the shop. Any good liquid epoxy will do well for setting a knot, and the 5-minute is much faster. I WOULD avoid the putties or gels, however - too thick for things to settle in place properly.

I just checked out some of your work in the Vendor forum, Rudy, and am really impressed. How long have you been making brushes?

And, if you don't mind my asking, what resources did you consult when getting started?

Watch out for Gorilla Glue...it expands when it dries. Someone here recently had a handle crack badly after filling it with GG.

That's regular Gorilla Glue, it a polyurethane glue, Gorilla Glue brand epoxy is a standard epoxy in a 2 part syringe..
I like it, the 2 parts have a similar viscosity, many epoxies the hardener is thicker then the resin and it difficult to get equal amount with the syringe.

That's regular Gorilla Glue, it a polyurethane glue, Gorilla Glue brand epoxy is a standard epoxy in a 2 part syringe..
I like it, the 2 parts have a similar viscosity, many epoxies the hardener is thicker then the resin and it difficult to get equal amount with the syringe.

I must have misread his initial post- when he mentioned "Super Glue, Gorilla Glue, and maybe a few other glues" I thought he was discussing glues, not epoxies. Sorry for my mistake. I can't comment on Gorilla Glue epoxy, I have never used it. I do think regular Gorilla Glue would be a poor adhesive choice for setting a knot for the reasons I mentioned above. And thanks for the information on the Gorilla Glue epoxy. May give it a try, though I find Devcon's components have similar viscosities as well and is easy to mix. Does the GG epoxy dry clear? What is the working time? Set time?

I just set a knot using Loctite 20 min, and was a little disappointed that it was so thick. The 5 min. epoxies I have used in the past were more fluid.

I have also used System 5 from West Marine on woodworking projects, but not for a knot. It is a great product.; I just didn't have any at the moment. It comes in cans with pre-measure pumps rather than a two sided syringe.

Gorilla Glue is a brand. And like Bob said, their epoxy is like all others. The Poly glue that made them famous is the same chemical that expansion foam (i.e. Great Stuff) is made of. Not a good choice for this hobby.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I just checked out some of your work in the Vendor forum, Rudy, and am really impressed. How long have you been making brushes?

And, if you don't mind my asking, what resources did you consult when getting started?

It will be three years next spring; it was March 2009 when I made the first brush for myself. I just had made it when I found B&B. I was turning before for a few years, and had made thousands of pens.

Sorry, yeah, I was talking about epoxies: I should have said "Super Glue Epoxy, Gorilla Glue Epoxy, maybe a few other epoxies." I'm new to brushmaking and my language consequently lacks precision.

You guys are great, thanks again!

Top Bottom