Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Epoxies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Best Epoxies

Just wondering, all, which epoxies have you found to be best for making badger brushes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

i have used a 5 min. epoxy from home depot. solid as a rock!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Images

I use Devcon 5 min two-part epoxy on all my brushes. Never had any problem, I believe this is the best product choice for gluing a knot in a handle.
    Rudy, Central New Jersey
    'If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.'
    www.ultimatependesigns.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Vey View Post
    I use Devcon 5 min two-part epoxy on all my brushes. Never had any problem, I believe this is the best product choice for gluing a knot in a handle.
    +1 Rudy oughta know! He's made more brushes than most of us have had shaves!

Larry

(TOFLAC-U, BOTOC, LOSER, Fountain Pen Junkie, Savior of Vintage Brushes, and some other stuff I forgot!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, guys! This is really helpful stuff.

I had some epoxies lying around the house--Super Glue, Gorilla Glue, maybe a few other glues--but really wasn't sure if any of them would do the trick.

It sounds like even if they WOULD do the trick, Devcon would do it better.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ljungberg View Post
    Thanks, guys! This is really helpful stuff.

I had some epoxies lying around the house--Super Glue, Gorilla Glue, maybe a few other glues--but really wasn't sure if any of them would do the trick.

It sounds like even if they WOULD do the trick, Devcon would do it better.
    Watch out for Gorilla Glue...it expands when it dries. Someone here recently had a handle crack badly after filling it with GG.

Larry

(TOFLAC-U, BOTOC, LOSER, Fountain Pen Junkie, Savior of Vintage Brushes, and some other stuff I forgot!)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Images

If you are doing a lot of work with epoxy, boat supply houses stock the resin and harder in bulk. I like the interlux or West brand.

Jamestown distributors is one place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, Snargle, I hadn't heard that about Gorilla Glue. Any other epoxies that expand too much for brushmaking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Another vote for Devcon 5 minute epoxy. Sells for under $4.00 at Lowes and I can usually set 6-8 knots with one pack. Make sure you get the one that dries clear. I would avoid gorilla glue. It expands and they do not make one, at least to my knowledge, that dries clear.
    Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I use the Loctite 1 hour epoxy in the 8oz. kit, but only because that's what I keep around the shop. Any good liquid epoxy will do well for setting a knot, and the 5-minute is much faster. I WOULD avoid the putties or gels, however - too thick for things to settle in place properly.
    Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the best epoxie made are Araldite , they made a lot of epoxie brands on the market

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just checked out some of your work in the Vendor forum, Rudy, and am really impressed. How long have you been making brushes?

And, if you don't mind my asking, what resources did you consult when getting started?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Snargle View Post
    Watch out for Gorilla Glue...it expands when it dries. Someone here recently had a handle crack badly after filling it with GG.
    That's regular Gorilla Glue, it a polyurethane glue, Gorilla Glue brand epoxy is a standard epoxy in a 2 part syringe..
    I like it, the 2 parts have a similar viscosity, many epoxies the hardener is thicker then the resin and it difficult to get equal amount with the syringe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cooncatbob View Post
    That's regular Gorilla Glue, it a polyurethane glue, Gorilla Glue brand epoxy is a standard epoxy in a 2 part syringe..
    I like it, the 2 parts have a similar viscosity, many epoxies the hardener is thicker then the resin and it difficult to get equal amount with the syringe.
    I must have misread his initial post- when he mentioned "Super Glue, Gorilla Glue, and maybe a few other glues" I thought he was discussing glues, not epoxies. Sorry for my mistake. I can't comment on Gorilla Glue epoxy, I have never used it. I do think regular Gorilla Glue would be a poor adhesive choice for setting a knot for the reasons I mentioned above. And thanks for the information on the Gorilla Glue epoxy. May give it a try, though I find Devcon's components have similar viscosities as well and is easy to mix. Does the GG epoxy dry clear? What is the working time? Set time?
    Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just set a knot using Loctite 20 min, and was a little disappointed that it was so thick. The 5 min. epoxies I have used in the past were more fluid.

I have also used System 5 from West Marine on woodworking projects, but not for a knot. It is a great product.; I just didn't have any at the moment. It comes in cans with pre-measure pumps rather than a two sided syringe.

Gorilla Glue is a brand. And like Bob said, their epoxy is like all others. The Poly glue that made them famous is the same chemical that expansion foam (i.e. Great Stuff) is made of. Not a good choice for this hobby.
    Co-director of the Dept. of Redundancy Department

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ljungberg View Post
    I just checked out some of your work in the Vendor forum, Rudy, and am really impressed. How long have you been making brushes?

And, if you don't mind my asking, what resources did you consult when getting started?
    It will be three years next spring; it was March 2009 when I made the first brush for myself. I just had made it when I found B&B. I was turning before for a few years, and had made thousands of pens.
    Rudy, Central New Jersey
    'If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.'
    www.ultimatependesigns.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, yeah, I was talking about epoxies: I should have said "Super Glue Epoxy, Gorilla Glue Epoxy, maybe a few other epoxies." I'm new to brushmaking and my language consequently lacks precision.

You guys are great, thanks again!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Images

Don't forget to post your work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will do, Jim!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Plumber's putty epoxy. No mess and easy to work with.
    Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result. --Winston Churchill

Old School Wet Shaver & New Golden Age Pomader

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast