What's new

Acquisitions for December 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second grouping of straights, A Fraternity with the stamping of an Anchor with a star with an arrow going through it. I know I've looked up this insignia but forget the mfg. Next is a W&B in straight horn, quite nice, A Worcester, A Bismark with a neat photo, or sketch actually type inlay in a small frame of Guiseppe Garibaldi, the famous Italian hero. ( I've never seen something like this before,, did you ?) And last a pink marbled Pilger

The next set, again top to bottom A J. Wood, The York Razor, a J. Wilsham & son Wedge in horn, An unknown razor ( hay there is always a clunker in a group ) And last an Imperial with Sure Edge stamped on the blade.

Attachments

• $IMG_9884.JPG
    $IMG_9884.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 521
  • $IMG_9885.JPG
    $IMG_9885.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 520
  • $IMG_9886.JPG
    $IMG_9886.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 520
  • $IMG_9887.JPG
    $IMG_9887.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
The next set comprises these razors,,
Geneva, A Geo. Wostenholm Original Pipe Razor on blade, A "Diamondine" , A J.C. Eaton and a Shofords (?) Special.
The two last shots are out of sequence, ( sorry I'm missing the group shot where these belong) but the show a Robeson Sure Edge White King ( the White in white and the King in Black) and the bottom a Crown razor.

Attachments

• $IMG_9888.JPG
    $IMG_9888.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 516
  • $IMG_9889.JPG
    $IMG_9889.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 513
  • $IMG_9891.JPG
    $IMG_9891.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 515
  • $IMG_9890.JPG
    $IMG_9890.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 514
And the last grouping,
The first ( top) simply marked Warrented German Hollow Ground and stamped on the blade "Britains Pride" the second a W&B bow in horn, the third A Fred. Reynolds Blonde horn and another F. Reynolds in what I believe is wood. The first Reynolds in horn is a great wedge blade.

All in all not a bad haul for one local stop. A decent December to be sure. It filled up my collection of straights nicely with the inclusion from earlier in the week. Up to 90 now with a lot of cleaning up to do. I like shopping in bulk ,,, it's much cheaper this way. The price for all of this was not much at all considering what I walked away with.

Attachments

• $IMG_9892.JPG
    $IMG_9892.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 514
  • $IMG_9893.JPG
    $IMG_9893.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Wow! I wonder where this lot came from? Another collector I guess!? I'm jealous! Not that I'd have enough money for all this.

This particular part of my score came from a barber shop that was closing as well as finds from a couple of estate sales. My "contact" goes to these things then calls me when he has a bunch of stuff for me to sort through.He holds anything shaving related for me before he puts them in his store and marks them up.
The price I didn't think was too bad considering all I got as I'm not a man of means. All the signs, bakelite razor, Military razor,,and the 26 straights came out to $225.00. I'll be doing a small veneer job on a piece of furniture he's selling so my ultimate cost for this lot will be right around $125.00. (sort of a barter ) Excluding everything else,, just 26 straights at under $10.00 ea. seemed reasonable and there are some I think worth a bit more than that.
As far as the rest of my posts of scores,, all the pens ( post 13 ) were free,, The three straights ( post 14 ) were also free ( well,, I traded one of my custom brushes and a tube of Bigelow ) ,, the boxed set of 7 ( post 17 ) were $125.00 ( expensive compared to the 26 pcs) , and the most I paid for any of the Gems ( post 14 ) was $15.00 in the boxes,, the loose ones were between $8-10.00 and the travel set ( post 15 ) was $13.00. The Dbl Duck gold edge , Robeson and the corn razor ( post 21 ) were $50.00 for all three ( now I'm spending big bucks per razor,, breaking my 10.00 rule per razor). Post 24 with the Injectors were $10.00 ea,, with the boxed one at $15.00. It all does add up, and say, 100 bucks is a lot to some, but little to another, but I couldn't pass up any of them. Not sure how many rabid collectors could. Can you blame me?

Last edited:
Fatip and a couple RazoRock XXX

Attachments

• $DSC01184.jpg
    $DSC01184.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 382
  • $DSC01179.jpg
    $DSC01179.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 382
  • $DSC01181.jpg
    $DSC01181.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 382
Here's a cool commemorative from Gillette. 75 years had passed and along with the Levis company, they designed a belt buckle for the hard core Gillette fans. Was there a centennial commemorative also? Did anyone care then?

proxy.php

It does say "Levis" on the label here.

Awesome score, Jake, as usual.
But I'm pretty sure the buckle says 'Lewis'. From the Lewis Buckle Company of Chicago.

Here's two blades that I acquired with in the last week. A Frederick Reynolds that's a hair under 7/8" and Joseph Rodgers and sons Queen Victoria era thats a hair under 6/8". Sadly when I was polishing these last night I found that the Frederick Reynolds has a crack in it where the red line is. I guess it will be getting the shorty treatment when I can figure out the best way to cut it off.

Attachments

• $9ce92490.jpg
    $9ce92490.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 346
A slant ? Wow, looks more like it melted ! But it's cool. I have one ( somewhere ) in my collection that is very similar. I'd know for sure if I could find it.

Last week I started collecting fountain pens. I added these this week along with the B&B Benevolent Blue and two Dark Matters and some sample colors. One of the Dark Matters is for a gift for the guy who gave me all the pens and got me hooked. It has an interesting back story as they say ( the ink ) . I got 11 of the pens restored with new sacs, pressure bars, polished and straightened the barrels and caps.. now I have on order another fist full of sacks and J bars to finish the rest. Oh man I'm sunk. The Ambassador as well as the Esterbrooks were sort of rough but I got them restored as well for this photo.

Attachments

• $IMG_9931.JPG
    $IMG_9931.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 279
  • $IMG_9936.JPG
    $IMG_9936.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 280
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom