What's new

Alden or Allen Edmonds?

I buy AEs mainly because they go on sale or I can get them at discount prices more easily than Alden. Even though the AEs I have all retailed for $300+, I never paid more than $150 or so for most of mine. That's how I ended up with six pairs. I also have a couple pairs of Cheaney shoes (UK made welted shoes) and I like the AEs more. My favorites are the Park Avenues in Merlot and the Westchester in Walnut. One good thing about AE is that they've been bringing back more of the classic styles like wingtips, captoes, etc. recently.

I will probably buy some Aldens eventually...they have some nice looking shoes for sure.

I own three pairs of AE and I'm happy with them and have two or three more in my wish list. Unfortunately outside the Toronto Brooks Brothers location, Alden does not have much of a presence in central Canada.

Allen Edmonds would be my preference. I have a pair of AE leather soled dress shoes and a pair of Alden’s Indy boots. The AE dress shoes are more comfortable. Because you can usually find them in any major city you can try them on, find your size and then keep an eye out for on-line sales. Also if/when you need them re-soled I have seen some pretty beaten up AE’s brought back to life but less worn Alden’s returned to sender because they wouldn’t re-sole them.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

Alden - made from Horween shell cordovan - have 3 pair, will last a lifetime. $$$ but worth it in my opinion

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I own three pairs of AE and I'm happy with them and have two or three more in my wish list. Unfortunately outside the Toronto Brooks Brothers location, Alden does not have much of a presence in central Canada.

Do you buy AE via Harry Rosen?

FYI - the AE Shoebank (their flagship store based in WI and also their "seconds" store) is currently holding a pretty nice seconds sale. I think everything is at least 15% off. For instance, I got a pair of McAllisters for around $220. Not earth-shattering, but they normally are $259, and they retail for $335. This sale also applies to outlet stores, but we don't have one in the Boston area so I called them up. They're very good about shipping and returns, so if anyone's interested in trying AE's for the first-time and is following this thread, this might be a good time to take the plunge.

New here, had to chime in...I own several pairs of Alden and AE. I prefer the Alden's, like other's have noted, roomier toe box and the quality seems better. I am a former coxswain (read: short, size 6.5 ft) and I have more choices with Alden than AE. Regardless of limited choices, Alden is one well made shoe.

at current I think I own 20 pairs of AEs and 2 pairs of Aldens. I've always been a firm believer on going with AE when quality matters and looking else where if your more fashion (or boot) oriented. My #1 reason for siding with AE is price, I have never spent more than 325 with quite a few pairs at a 100. Be thrifty, there are always deals to be found with AE.... I would likely own more Aldens if I could say the same.

Also AE is flat out fantastic to deal with. They were a client of mine in a former job, so I have even dealt with them internally and they are just top notch all around (and no I have never gotten a discount as a result of my business relationship).

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I received my first pair of Aldens last week. I went with the Color 8 Chukka. I thought i went a half size smaller opting for a 11.5E since the Barrie last is suppose to run big, but I think they may be a tad big. I have another order pending for a size 11E and Ill return the loser. Definitely great fit and finish out of the box.

I have a high arch, wide foot and neutral gait, 190 lbs. My heel wears out fastest on the rear left for left shoe, and sole wears out fastest on my right instep sole for left shoe. Same process for right shoe (I'm a runner where very specific shoes are made, I purchase cushioned neutral running shoes).

The lace AE's hit my sweet spot every time. Aldens are great but all things being equal, for me, I get a more comfortable and LONGER ride with the AE's.

I have many pairs of fine Italian shoes that I fly through, superb leather but the soles and heels can't keep up. J&M and C-H would be a step lower, both good American shoes with my preference with the J&M.

My first interview shoe out of college was a Florshein Wing-Tip. They were built like tanks and too a great beating. Also looked the part with dark shoes. I would really consider purchasing again if I wanted wing-tips.

AE or Alden? Win Win

I really hope that AE hasn't killed off the Fifth Street boot like they did the Bayfield.

Not to get to far afield from the OP's original point (I love AE's but I haven't been able to pony up for Alden's - if someone wants to "donate" theirs, I wear a 10 3E and I prefer cordovan!), but I don't think this is happening. The Bayfield was almost a "limited edition" boot; the Fifth Street is a long-time staple of dress wear.

They Bayfields are still on the AE site, matter of fact they are on sale for $199 (as are the 5th St)

But in very limited sizes. I talked to a rep at my local AE store who said that they are phasing out the Bayfields, although they weren't sure if it was going to be permanent.

proxy.php
proxy.php
thought i'd show some love for Alden - here are my new bal cap toe shell cordovans.

Top Bottom