What's new

Razor just isn't sharp enough?

now I am aware that there are always newbies claiming that their razor just isn't sharp enough and it isn't their own fault that they are getting bad shaves, however I have a bit of proof (or at least i think, and that's why I'm asking for second opinions) that the reason for the bad shaves is actually the razor.
Around October I bought my first straight from Larry over at whipped dog and he was a pleasure to do business with. A lot of help, and even with the sight unseen deal he let me request a specific color for the razor I was getting. Up until that point, I had been using a Parker shavette with Shark blades and got really good results for my first few times with a straight (went right from the dreaded cartridge to a shavette simply on a whim and from some poking around this site). So seeing as I am a purist, I wanted the real thing because I had read that it just doesn't compare to a shavette. Now I am admitting that this was my first go around with stroping and maintaining a straight, so I almost definitely lowered the life of the hone that came with the razor from Larry, because at first it shaved like a dream. I was thoroughly enjoying my new W.H. Morely straight until about 2-3 weeks ago when I started to get really bad razor burn. The first time was when I attempted my first go around at shaving two days in a row (I usually give two to three days off in between shaves), and then I started to get razor burn right around where the moustache connects to the beard on the side of the mouth. I tried dropping the angle, using such little pressure that the razor barely was on the skin, only going WTG and XTG, and even relathering right before I shaved that specific area, but to no avail.

Well, long story short, I dropped the razor last weekend, and while I'm pretty positive I hadn't damaged it (it was closed when it fell, but slightly opened when it hit), I didn't want to chance it and royally mess up my face. So when I got back to my dorm from Thanksgiving break, I threw a fresh blade in my shavette which had taken a back seat to the straight and voila, the razor burn had essentially disappeared. This led me to believe that it was a dull razor (most likely caused by me the newbie learning how to strop and shave) that was giving me ever-worsening shaves and razor burn, and not my actual technique or methods.

Thoughts, comments, concerns are very much appreciated...I'm here to learn from you more experienced shavers.
Also, I apologize for the length of this post. I hope I didn't take up too much time or turn anyone off from reading this with the length.

Cheers,
Brian

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Your blade may very well be dull. Often the technique of newer shaver is to shave in straight passes-perpendicular to the blade. They often also use steeper angles which seem to cut easier. I find both habits shortens the life of an edge. I also find I like edges fresher, so I touch up as soon as I feel it may be less than keen...sometimes as short as a week depending on how I shave...lazy or conscientious of the edge. Slightly diagonal strokes will cause the blade to slice hair like a samurai sword, while the perpendicular stroke is like an axe chopping. Have you been touching up the blade on Larry's crox balsa?

The platinum coated Teflon treated blade in your shavette will mow hairs down quite easily, but the technique is different than with a traditional straight. Getting a great shave from a shavette is easier than getting a great shave from a traditional straight IMO, but with practice you can get them from both.
There is nothing wrong with liking shavette more you know...if you want a nicer razor Feathers and Kais come to mind. ;)

I haven't been touching up the razor on the balsa strop, I actually forgot to even think to do that. My original plan was to just send it out to Lynn at SRD and have him hone it up and start all over again, but maybe I'll give that a shot first. What would your recommendation for going about that be (i.e. # of passes on each side and such)?

Legion

Staff member
I haven't been touching up the razor on the balsa strop, I actually forgot to even think to do that. My original plan was to just send it out to Lynn at SRD and have him hone it up and start all over again, but maybe I'll give that a shot first. What would your recommendation for going about that be (i.e. # of passes on each side and such)?

Try 15-20 laps on the green and see if it improves. Depending on how far downhill the edge has gone it may need a re-hone, the key to CrOx is to keep the maintenance regular and touch it up before it is messing up your face, but it is worth a try before you pay for a hone.

Try 15-20 laps on the green and see if it improves. Depending on how far downhill the edge has gone it may need a re-hone, the key to CrOx is to keep the maintenance regular and touch it up before it is messing up your face, but it is worth a try before you pay for a hone.
I'll definitely give it a shot for at least a pass and see how it helped before I have to ship it off to get honed. Much appreciated advice, thank you

I agree, it sounds like you had the blade for ~5 weeks and used it every 2 or 3rd day, which is what 3x a week for let's say 4 weeks, which is 12 times.. i'd say it could easily be time for a nice refresh..

i feel like I don't "hear" newbies tend to complain about the 5th to 10th shave, it's usually the first or second or third that the straight wasn't sharp enough...

I've had about eight shaves with my Whippeddog and I think mine has lost some sharpness. It just seemed easier on the first couple of shaves. I blame my early stropping technique and attendant mistakes. I've given the balsa strop a couple of goes, but still don't think it's sharp enough. BUT...what would I know? So I'm taking it to an expert soon to inspect the blade and hone it if necessary.

A razor can get past a point where a paste like CroX won't bring it back anymore. I think Kentos hit the nail on the head - once you start to feel it losing it's edge is typically when you'd want to go to the paste to bring it back. At that point it only takes 30 seconds - 10 or so swipes on the hone should get you back to where you need to be.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Agreed with the comments up here, sounds like you need to hone the razor. If you are unsure, try to send it out for honing. This is the main reason why most straight shavers used to have 2 straights. They would use one and when #1 would be dull, they would either hone it themselves or send it out. While it's being honed, they would use #2 until it would be dull and then send #2 out while they use #1...

You could try doing it yourself (nothing wrong with that).

Since you've already ordered from whipped dog, you can always go ahead and order a Norton from him. I believe he offers a service where he sends you almost shave ready razors and you hone them and send them back to him until you give him a consistent edge.

Since you've already ordered from whipped dog, you can always go ahead and order a Norton from him. I believe he offers a service where he sends you almost shave ready razors and you hone them and send them back to him until you give him a consistent edge.

I've been using this service my self from Larry and it's been a great way to learn how to hone...I highly recommend it.

If they "used to have 2 straights", how many do they have now? Twenty? :)
I started shaving with straights first of October and now own 5 straights.
Well... technically 4... the 5th legally belongs to my wife until Christmas morning, then it's mine!

Dovo Astrale 5/8, Bismarck 6/8, and the soon to be mine Stainless Pearlex 5/8.
Broker stainless 5/8
Wacker 15/16 Spanish point with Gadsden "Don't Tread on Me" etch.

Top Bottom