What's new

What was the first soap or cream that you finished off?

You expect me to remember what soap I finished back in the 1960's?

I'm good but not that good.

It is possible it was Williams but who knows.

Last edited:
First was an old spice puck in an old spice mug, followed by a Williams puck in the same old spice mug :)

Surrey glycerin! Best move I ever made as far as shaving goes. Made a decision to drop canned foam for a brush and soap in the early 2000s, and this was all I thought was available.

Easy to remember. It's what got me into straight razors 17 years ago. I was still using a Mach 3 and I had picked up a Burmashave Brush/mug/Soap combo from Walmart. Finished it off, bought a 2nd puck, finished it off, went to buy another puck of Burmashave and Walmart didn't have any. They did, however, have some VDH soap, so I bought that instead. It was HORRIBLE, I detested the stuff so much I went and got a can of Gillette goo to shave with, then started searching the internet for more Burmashave, came across some shaving forum where they were discussing straight razors and Tabac was getting a lot of up-speak on the forum, also badger brushes.

Found a Saville Row "super" badger brush on ebay for (I think) around $30, and ordered a new Dovo straight ("Shave Ready - sharpened at the factory on yada-yada-yada stone by expert craftsmen" - yea, right! :crying: ), a cheap 2 inch wide strop and a puck/jar of Tabac soap. Got the straight razor, soap, strop and brush all on the same day. The next weekend I was out at a wood working store getting a 10K water stone to try to get an edge on the razor that wouldn't yank my hair out by the roots! It took most of the weekend to actually get a decent edge on the razor, but I finally succeeded! After the first lather with the badger and Tabac I tossed the Burmashave brush in the trash (the VDH got tossed after the 3rd shave a couple weeks earlier, after I got the canned goo.)

My main brush is still that 17 $30 brush, I still have the straight razor (an about 2 dozen more), have learned some definite tricks to sharpening a straight, but the Tabac never quite made it to the end of the puck before I dropped the jar one day in the bathroom of a campground and it shattered on the cement floor.

Several soap pucks - but I hated soap and drifted to canned goo. Those were, however, Crabtree & Evelyn sandalwood, back in the 1980s. I came back to soaps a few years ago but still hated them and went back to goo before discovering Proraso.

Still on the first tube I started several months back. Went on a kick to try different things. Disappointed in virtually all fo them and so have decided to gravitate back to Proraso. But..... being a cheap bastard that can't throw anything away (squeeze old unusable soap slivers into the new bar), I am working my way through unwanted creams right now. The first aI will finish (and likely to do it this week or the next) will be the Musgo Real. Has a tendency to slightly burn my face and cause irritation. Didn't like it much at all - and don't care for the odor once it's on my face. But it's almost gone. Next up is the Speick cream. It's OK, not good, just OK... does an OK job for me, Smells good, but doesn't provide as much of a thick lather (face latherer). Have to usually do a new glop between the 2nd and 3rd pass. I will keep it as a travel tube in that it is like 1.5 oz and will travel in carry on luggage. Speick stick is better, and I have one, but Ijust don't like it as well as good cream (but it is superior to Speick cream). Tried some samples from AOS - I guess that would be the first thing I finished off, but they were single use samples. Lathered well, but clogged up the razor. Not for me.

So, the winner is Musgo Real, but just because I'm trying to get rid of it. Have four pucks of Bay Rum soap by Classic Shaving that will probably be in my linen closet 40 years form now, if I'm still around.

OMyMyOHellYes

In over 2 years I haven't finished anything. PIF'd, sold or tossed = many. Finished = none. I seem to get bored about halfway through a product and stop using it. However, I am 1 or 2 shaves from finishing my first, a tub of Taylor Rose cream that I got last Christmas.

Top Bottom