What's new

What protein powder do you use?

Amazon just cancelled the Subscribe and Save option on Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard and I am getting low at home. Are there any better options for under $50 for 5 lbs? I noticed that they have the S&S service for Muscle Milk, anybody have an opinion on that one way or the other compared to Gold Standard? If it makes a difference I only drink a protein shake after lifting, 1 scoop only, mixing with Skim Milk. I'm not looking for meal replacement or anything like that.

Costco has some at a good price. The last time I bought some it was 6 pounds for about $50.

+1 Costco is good. Price is under $40 here. I also pick up an occasional bag from Sam's Club which is similarly priced but doesn't mix as well.

bodybuilding.com has the best prices on protein that I've found. For straight mixing with water I've found Myofusion to be the best. I also recently picked up some IDS Multi-whey pro there and really like it for mixing in my oatmeal/food. It mixes just fine with water, but nothing really beats myofusion for taste so I use the IDS mostly in food. Pretty sure both of these were less than $50 for 5 lbs.

Shipping from bb.com is also pretty cheap. Usually ends up $10-15 for me, but I order 20 lbs at a time.

I use a GMO free, antibiotic free probiotic whey from New Zealand, it's pricey though, about $50 for 900 grams.

Next buy I think I will switch to manitobas best hemp. I think a Vegan protein will be better for the body in the long-run.

I usually use Optimum Nutrition Natural whey. Its all natural and sweetened with honey powder and stevia. The Chocolate is great. The vanilla is a little bland, but overall still pretty good(especially if you mix in fresh fruit and make smoothies). Also the ON Natural Oats and Whey is good too. They grind up oats and put it in the powder so it fills you up and gives you some fiber.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/natwhey.html
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/oatsandwhey.html

I also use AST VP2. Its a Pure Hydrolyzed Isolated Whey Protein that I have seen good gains with. Its expensive though. So I usually mix a half scoop in with a full scoop of ON Natural.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ast/vp2wheyisolate.html

+1 for Bodybuilding.com. They have great customer service and have never messed up an order. I used to Order from Vitacost(and they have good prices) but they messed up my orders a few times and don't have as much variety as Bodybuilding.com

SUPPLEMENTWAREHOUSE.COM

They have great prices and will always meet / beat any advertised competition (you just enter price from other website in, price change is reflected instantaneously in your cart).

Plus they always have a bunch of sample products you can add to your order for like $0.50, with no max on quantity per item.

Oh . . . to original question . . . Muscle Milk!

Amazon just cancelled the Subscribe and Save option on Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard and I am getting low at home. Are there any better options for under $50 for 5 lbs? I noticed that they have the S&S service for Muscle Milk, anybody have an opinion on that one way or the other compared to Gold Standard? If it makes a difference I only drink a protein shake after lifting, 1 scoop only, mixing with Skim Milk. I'm not looking for meal replacement or anything like that.

Optimum is a great choice and it is a great value for a descent protein.

Personally I use Allmax Isoflex, it is a whey isolate and is one of the best products out there but it is expensive but I would rather spend on quality protein than off the wall supplements that have no scientific evidence behind it. A lot of good stuff in there.

A good rule of thumb is to look at what kind of protein is used. Try to stay away from whey concentrates but they arent bad if they come with other sources of protein.

Also check your proteins on how much protein is actually in there. Divide the servings by the amount of grams of protein and you will see where your money goes. ON Gold is about 70% and Allmax is 90%....huge difference.

Also, try Casein protein if your macros are not up to par you can avoid catabelism with a slow digesting protein before bed that will last you through the night.

Last edited:
Myofusion is hands down the best tasting protein powder I have tried. I use it normally.

I also use Optimum Nutrition's Platinum Hydrowhey Builder post workout.

Also I would personally stay away from protein with creatine already in it. It is expensive and it is cheaper to just buy a 1000g of creatine monohydrate and take it seperately.

Just my opinion but I would skip the skim milk for your immediate after workout protein drink. Though it is skim it slows down rate it takes in your protein because it has to break it down. Take two scoops with just water then wait about 45 minutes and chow down on some simple sugars or make a protein shake with peanut butter, banana to spike your insulin to replenish your glycogen levels to your muscles again.

Thanks for all the replies, I am leaning towards trying the Muscle Milk next. Unless I can find someone to take me to Costco or Sam's Club to see what they have.

I tried using water last year with some powder from Walmart and just didn't care for the taste and how thin it was. Maybe I will try it again now that I am using better protein powder.

Muscle Milk= Overrated. Tastes great, but I think its overpriced for the quality of protein you get.

But give it a try and decide for yourself.

5 lbs of MM is $43 on Amazon, is that too much to pay for it?

- Assuming you're set on Amazon . . . That's almost as low as any price I've seen it.

Why don't you just cancel and re-sign up for the subscribe and save? I've done it in the past for items I used less frequently than I thought I would, and I was always still given the 15% off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom