What's new

Post your pictures - ERN Razors

$1.jpg$2.jpghere they are.

I have two ERN Straight Razors...first up is this old artifact...obviously it's not shave ready...
proxy.php

the plan is to eventually tape the toe and use a dremel with a cut off wheel to remove the rusty portion of the blade and I guess, make it a cut down razor. I'm not sure if the schales are original but they have been cracked and repaired (at the wedge) with what looks like CA glue...should make a nice little shaver with absolutely no pretension. the more I think about it, I'd like to refinish the blade metal, using sandpaper...I'll have to figure that one out as I've yet to refinish any of my straights using sandpaper

Next up

proxy.php

I'd say this gem is one of the nicest (condition-wise) vintage straight razors that I own and shave with. This pic does not do this razor justice...it's really clean...just a notch below mint. If I had to guess I'd say it was hardly used, probably used a few times then put away in a drawer

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I have this same razor with the original scales (I think) - I'll post picks soon. I want to love it, and I've done just about all I can too love it, I have cleaned it, honed it etc.. But I can't get a good shave with it! ARG. I was actually thinking of asking some one here if they could hone the thing, and see if it gave them a good shave! I am at a loss.

~~~If you're referring to the razor you posted after this post...I see that it is a half hollow? Some of us find 1/2 hollow grinds unforgiving, as compared to say full hollows. I just shaved with one last night...nothing special, and I've been trying to work magic with the blade and last go around i taped the spine (unicot). it was keener than I get with it (the edge) vs. doing a dulicot but the fact of the matter is, most of my half hollow blades are just plain uncomfortable to shave with, and IMO it's the grind...it just doesn't give like a 1/1 hollow. The 1/2 hollows are stiffer, the blades just don't give. Anyways, I have a feeling even if you have someone else hone it for you, it's still going to feel the same and it's because of the grind. Since my beard growth is comparatively light, the only time grinds like this are worth using for me anyways, is when I have at least 3 days growth of beard and something for that stiff blade to shave. My one 1/4 hollow W&B, as nice as that razor is, what with all of the inertia that blade has moving down my face, I just don't have the beard to shave using it, so it doesn't see much use in my rotation

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

okay, my bad...your blade does say 'extra hollow ground', on the show side of the blade...I was thinking (w/o seeing the inscription) that the blade not having a 2nd stabilizer...it was 1/2 hollow. Again, apologies=:):ouch1:

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

okay, my bad...your blade does say 'extra hollow ground', on the show side of the blade...I was thinking (w/o seeing the inscription) that the blade not having a 2nd stabilizer...it was 1/2 hollow. Again, apologies=:):ouch1:

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
No apologies needed! Thanks for taking the time to help me figure it out! I have done both the Uni and Duli - it's sharp, very sharp, but like you said when you thought it was a 1/4, it just doesn't get down there and snip low. I too am fine haired - maybe thats the key to it all. Thanks Jake!!

I don't know if it would be fair to Pif it either - as it doesn't shave me well? That's why I thought maybe if someone else could get a good shave from it, i would know it was still a good razor - yeah know?

BTW - you got some nice razors there yourself!!

Last edited:
Here's mine. Kellogg Co. was based about 40 miles from where I live.

Boss Klipper
B. Detticher
Kellogg Co.
C. Friedr Ern
Wald-Germany
Highest Award

proxy.php

proxy.php

I don't know if it would be fair to Pif it either - as it doesn't shave me well? That's why I thought maybe if someone else could get a good shave from it, i would know it was still a good razor - yeah know?

~~~Just a thought....why not stick in a drawer and come back to it down the road? Perhaps after you have honed more your technique might improve enough to see a turn around with this razor. That and or your shaving technique improves enough where you are shaving yourself better, you'll be able to shave yourself better with a tougher to use razor...this one, but I know all too well the feeling of wanting to move a razor I find frustrating to use. For the record, I have PIF'd only one straight razor since I started using them about 11 month ago, but that was because I wanted the fellow I gave it to, to experience using a straight razor, which he had not up to that point (no excuse now=:)

Here's another thought....you may come into a hone down the road that finishes better than any hone you now have. What better razor to try it out on than one you're having the most trouble shaving with? But for me, the razors with no 2nd stabilizers, mostly the 1/2 hollows, they're just plain uncomfortable razors for me to use (compared to full hollows). Yet I still like to break out a 1/2 hollow every now and then and shave with it...half expecting it to not give me a great shave, and the other half of me thinking maybe it will be different this time, in that perhaps my technique has improved. But isn't that what insanity is?, doing the same thing over again and again and expecting different results. Don't answer that...it's a rhetorical question=:)

I'll add and end with this- I have a blade similar to the one you have, in that it does not have the 2nd stabilizer and it also says (stamped) extra full hollow on it (on the shank). I'd post a pic of it here but this is an ERN thread after all. Anyways, it's a very nice shaver and does not feel nearly as stiff as some of these 1/2 hollow shaped blades do, but then it is also Sheffield Steel (Stamped). That said, I have at least one other Sheffield razor (1/2 hollow), and the few times I've shaved with it...it's not that comfortable of a shave. Needless to say, I'm not done playing around with it yet=:)

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

$137469446_4.jpg

Won this Gong in an online auction (for some reason ebay.se hasn't got a foothold here in Sweden, we use Tradera.se, which otoh is owned by Ebay). The picture is from the auction, still waiting for it to show up. Payed ~$13 for it, exciting to see what shape it really is in =)

Will measure it when it gets here =). The start of this thread lists Gong as an alternate brand for ERN. This is what the other side of the tang looks like, and that fits with the ERN theory as well:
$137469446_2.jpg

I have this same razor with the original scales (I think) - I'll post picks soon. I want to love it, and I've done just about all I can too love it, I have cleaned it, honed it etc.. But I can't get a good shave with it! ARG. I was actually thinking of asking some one here if they could hone the thing, and see if it gave them a good shave! I am at a loss.

BTW - what # is yours Zephyr?

IRC it's a 1166

I've owned several ERN razors and have yet to find one that's not a great shaver, I've also found them to be quite easy to hone compared to many other makers.

Sending it out to someone for honing could be a good idea.

Here's mine..this is actually the blade from post #26, bought it off the BST, honed it and put scales on. An Ern was one of my first straight razors, unfortunately the blade had been cooked and wouldn't take an edge. So I am really happy to have this one to try out, it took a great edge.View attachment 222556

Thanks again Matt!

Last edited:
I found this one, it`s in great shape, blade is good but it needs cleaning. Unfortunately i haven`t found any information what year it was made, what material is the handle made of and so on. As i`m not a straight razor user, i`m probably going to sell it. (Any idea how much it`s worth ?)
$IMG_0339.jpg
$IMG_0340.jpg
$IMG_0341.jpg

I found this one, it`s in great shape, blade is good but it needs cleaning. Unfortunately i haven`t found any information what year it was made, what material is the handle made of and so on. As i`m not a straight razor user, i`m probably going to sell it. (Any idea how much it`s worth ?)

The forum doesn't give valuations on items. Unless there is something​I am not seeing, it looks like that razor would clean up nicely :thumbsup:

Sorry, newbie here. I`ll give it some thought and maybe clean it up, there`s no cracks or nicks so i think it would look good. :shifty:
No worries was just making you aware. Good luck cleaning it up, just ask if you need help there are several members that do great restoration work.

Here's my newest. Just came today. It s a 6/8 ATOR. It is going to get rescaled soon. ERNs have become my new favorite razor. I have two now and am looking to get more. :biggrin1:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom