What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat hand & body lotion works great as an aftershave balm

I use this for my aftershave balm after the alum block and I love the stuff. It works incredibly well for moisturizing my face and the lanoline keeps my face feeling soft the rest of the day. I would say much more soft and moist than any balm that I have used before and that would include the Castle Forbes, Nivea and Wesley & Scott. I use a small dab of it (it is thicker than a balm) because a little bit of it goes a long way and despite it being a hand and body lotion it really isn't heavy at all. Other balms like Nivea leave my skin dry while MWF, leaves my skin moist and soft. Give it a try sometime.

Hmmmm.....suspicious name, avatar, and overly informative gushing review is.....well....suspicious....

I am suspicious of you, Sir. :glare:

A very large fan of their products, or someone trying to promote their products? The avatar, username and recent posts seem to be somewhat shill-like, but I hope it is more a case of an enthusiastic user.

Either way, MWF is known as a well-regarded soap, so I wouldn't be suprised if their other products were also of high quality. That said, as an aftershave, I like something that has some astringent qualities beyond just a moisturizer. Does the lotion smell like their soap? Perhaps this would work after I applied a splash of some sort to tighten things up and tone my skin a bit.

Anyone able to find the ingredients for this stuff? I'd be interested (as a hand lotion) but so many lotions contain paraben compounds that I wish to avoid.

I've found two products that are really nice, but, unfortunately, expensive :( I generally go through quite a bit of hand lotion during the winter!

A very large fan of their products, or someone trying to promote their products? The avatar, username and recent posts seem to be somewhat shill-like, but I hope it is more a case of an enthusiastic user.

[snip]

I think just an enthusiastic user. I don't think Mitchell's needs to risk alienating the users of their soap by sending in a shill, to promote a hand cream. Their soap gets more than enough positive comments here as it is. :)

(Plus the OP has posted on other topics, and isn't giving a web site where he's buying the stuff.)

Fair points. I am not above trumpeting the merits of a product I love to all who are within earshot (or keyboardshot, as the case may be), so I can understand enthusiasm :)

I must say, he has piqued my curiosity.

Either way, MWF is known as a well-regarded soap, so I wouldn't be suprised if their other products were also of high quality. That said, as an aftershave, I like something that has some astringent qualities beyond just a moisturizer. Does the lotion smell like their soap? Perhaps this would work after I applied a splash of some sort to tighten things up and tone my skin a bit.

The lotion smells just like the soap, but its less noticeable. Its pretty much unscented. I use it with an alum block. You can get it from Lee's Razors for like 13.50 + shipping.

just ordered a ceramic dish (with soap) and a 150ml bottle of the perfumed hand/body lotion. ($34 taxes and shipping in, to Canada).

already have the soap and love it, so i basically wanted the dish, will keep the new puck as backup and use the lotion as a post shave balm.

just ordered a ceramic dish (with soap) and a 150ml bottle of the perfumed hand/body lotion. ($34 taxes and shipping in, to Canada).

already have the soap and love it, so i basically wanted the dish, will keep the new puck as backup and use the lotion as a post shave balm.

When you get it, would you list the ingredient in the lotion? Thanks! (Most interested if it still contains any parabens.)

Last edited:
When you get it, would you list the ingredient in the lotion? Thanks! (Most interested if it still contains any parabens.)

for sure...but someone (you) might have to remind me with a polite PM in 10-14 days, it should be here around then.

glad to post it for you guys and give my opinion on it.

Well at Bruce's kind request, here are the ingredients of the lotion:

Aqua (Water), Parafinnum, Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Stearic Acid, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Triethanolamine, Cetearyl Alcohol, Lanolin, Dimethicone, Parfum (Fragrance), Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Salicilate.

I've never used it as an aftershave, but I have oily skin so it would probably be a bit heavy for me. I use the lotion on my hands, forearms and elbows. Terrific stuff.

Aqua (Water), Parafinnum, Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Stearic Acid, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Triethanolamine, Cetearyl Alcohol, Lanolin, Dimethicone, Parfum (Fragrance), Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Salicilate.

I've never used it as an aftershave, but I have oily skin so it would probably be a bit heavy for me. I use the lotion on my hands, forearms and elbows. Terrific stuff.

Thanks Timmy

Thanks! I found an old ingredient list on the web, was showing parabens... I was hoping they had reformulated without, and it appears they have :)

Thanks again, will have to order a bottle!

Top Bottom