What's new

What is a good iron?

I have recently decided to save money on dry cleaning by pressing my own shirts and pants. I'm currently using a bargain-basement Black&Decker (under $20 at Target) but I've been doing research and apparently these cheap irons skim on materials to get the price down, resulting in an inferior press.

If you iron, what is your weapon of choice and where can it be procured?

I have always used Rowenta irons. A little expensive but they last a long time. My last one was about 7-8 years old and I only replaced it because I dropped it and the back broke and kept coming off. Plus if you get it from Bed Bath Beyond, you can get a 20% coupon by signing up for there E-Mail news letter.

Definitely get a good one. I needed one and just grabbed it off the shelf without paying too much attention - "An iron is an iron." Didn't realize that, while it has the usual water reservoir and steam capability, it had no way to spray water as you iron. Not a big deal, as I bought a spray bottle, but it was a bit of an annoyance.

+1 for Rowneta again. I love mine and have had a few. If I need to replace this one in the future, it will be with another Rowenta.

I have used mine a lot. But, if you put mine next to three others and ask me to point to the one I have been using for years, my odds of picking the right one would be less than 20%.

If it has some of the minor feautures that they all have now - heat adjustment, spray function, stainless steel base - then you should be fine. If you buy a crappy one and it breaks two years from now, get another new one for $30.

I know the math does not work out (random odds of picking the right iron is 1 in 4 or 25%), it was to emphasize the point!

I like my Rowenta, but if you don't want to drop that kind of money on an iron the one you have will work just fine. The biggest things you get with the more expensive irons are fast heat-up times and a more consistent steam pattern (hundreds of holes versus dozens). My Rowenta has a slicker finish on the soleplate as well. The spray isn't used a whole lot, a separate spray bottle is much more controllable. I'd say that if you're not ironing a lot of shirts at a time it's not worth the expense, use what you have and trade up when/if you wear it out.

I just picked up this Rowenta yesterday. For being the most inexpensive Rowenta at Target, it seems much better than my previous black and decker (which was a consumer reports best buy btw!) It honestly took 1/2 the time to iron my button down dress shirt as before. I was amazed.

I have always used Rowenta irons. A little expensive but they last a long time. My last one was about 7-8 years old and I only replaced it because I dropped it and the back broke and kept coming off. Plus if you get it from Bed Bath Beyond, you can get a 20% coupon by signing up for there E-Mail news letter.

+1 My mom has one, I use a Black & Decker cheapo and have to go use hers for tough wrinkles.

I guess i'm the only guy who uses a Panasonic?
Well I like it well enough. I agree with the others, don't buy a cheap one.
Mine's middle of the road and it works for me.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Rowenta, there was a discussion some time ago about the same topic, look it up.

I got gifted a shark iron a couple of years ago. It's not something I would've bought for myself because I always think of the shark stuff as gimmicky informercial crap. However, the iron is better than the cheap ones you see at the store. It has held up pretty well over these last few years. Not sure about the price, but if it's less than the rowenta (never heard of those) and comperable to the one you have, it might be an ok upgrade.

A few years ago I purchased a food condition, GE iron from 1956 on eBay. It came with the box and the receipt. I also use a block of real beeswax to keep it slick, and I'm not sure I'd go back to a newer iron. The old one is heavy and durable, and less than $20 as far as I recall.

Top Bottom