What's new

Segal is my new #1!

A few weeks ago there was a thread about Segal razors, and how to modify a standard DE blade to fit them. I was curious, as the razor itself looks very well made and I was interested in how they shave.

I bid on http://www.ebay.com/itm/170724171398?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 and became the lucky new owner! The razor itself looks like new, and had four unopened blades left in the box. Makes one wonder if it was tried out once and then put away to rattle around in a dresser drawer forever!

I opened one blade and used it as a template to mark a modern blade. Cutting the blade with scissors was a little scary . . . but if one is careful (and wears safety glasses) it can be done with very little effort.

Let me tell you, the Segal is one of the finest razors ever made! On a two-pass shave it shaved closer than any Gillette that I ever tried. The feedback, both audible and tactile, is superb! I could not believe how good it was!

I was leaving the next day for our family Thanksgiving vacation (down in ackvil's part of the world) and decided at the last minute to bring it along. I used it all week (on the same blade) and got better and better shaves each time I used it. On the blade's 8th shave I started feeling a little tug . . . so I loaded a fresh blade into my Sheraton (that I originally packed for travel) and finished my shave. While the Sheraton has never disappointed me, I have to admit that its performance was not quite up to the Segal's . . .

Yes, modifying blades is a bit of a pain. But, it is a pain well taken when the end result is so smooth!

I notice the Wiki doesn't have a page for the Segal . . . I will try to get some good pictures taken and get an entry posted there sometime soon.

I have a few Segals and was always deterred from using them by having to hack on razor blades. Proprietary blades suck. Imagine coming out with a computer that doesn't accept any standard connectors: "We're gonna Rock The World!!" oops, we're out of business. sheesh...

Let me know when you get a wiki entry up and I'll add mine to it.

Good score with the box and blades, looks nice and shiny despite the tiny ebay pics.

-jim

New Segal owner here. Man what well built razor. Just gotta get some blades cut to fit. Mine came with the box and is in really good shape.

This week I've been alternating between a Prosperity straight and my Slim Aristocrat . . . But I will be cutting a blade for next week since this week's shaves have not been quite as good as I was getting with the Segal!

Here you go. Lets you get an idea how the thing works inside. I found the patents for this and couple other Segal Razors and interestingly a razor case.

Attachments

• $Segal Razor Patent 1.jpg
    $Segal Razor Patent 1.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 511
I have a nice Segal that I haven't shaved with because of blade issue. Might be time to make a pattern. And give it a try.

BBrad - I was just wondering what blade did you use?

Also will post a picture of my Segal tomorrow.

Nice, I am inspired as well. Thanks.
When you get that Wiki up let me know as well, As a collector i have about 8-9 Segals They are Definately well Built, I just wonder now how my 4-5 Different models Shave :eek:)

Doog - I was lucky that my razor came to me with four NOS blades. I opened one and used it as a pattern. I put the Segal blade on top of a standard DE blade and used a Sharpie marker to delineate the material to remove. I used a regular pair of office shears . . . but I thought afterward that curved manicure scissors might work easier.

Doog - I was lucky that my razor came to me with four NOS blades. I opened one and used it as a pattern. I put the Segal blade on top of a standard DE blade and used a Sharpie marker to delineate the material to remove. I used a regular pair of office shears . . . but I thought afterward that curved manicure scissors might work easier.

Thanks for the reply! I think I will try some manicure scissors. I was wondering what DE blade you used. Feather, Astra SP.
I was just interested on how aggressive of a DE blade you was using.

Here are a couple pictures of my Segal. Seems to be in really good shape.
BTW I tried cutting a blade with some cheap curved scissors and didn't make out real good. I need to get a better pair of scissors or maybe use a dremel tool.

Attachments

• $C IMG_1087.jpg
    $C IMG_1087.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 456
  • $C IMG_1088.jpg
    $C IMG_1088.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 458
  • $C IMG_1089.jpg
    $C IMG_1089.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 456
COOL!!

I've used mine several times. Once you get a pattern made, you can sit down and modify half a dozen or so blades in a short amount of time to have them ready.

Just be mighty careful. Having an original blade isn't needed. You just need to open the middle of a blade with tiny scissors with four cuts. A diamond shaped opening works fine. It's worth it once in a while for the great shaves these well built razors provide.

Thanks for the reply! I think I will try some manicure scissors. I was wondering what DE blade you used. Feather, Astra SP.
I was just interested on how aggressive of a DE blade you was using.

My blade of choice, and reference for comparing razors, is the lowly Dollar General DE made by Dorco. Not as sharp as a Feather, and doesn't sound as exciting as "I just scored some Israeli Personnas" or "Wow, I just found a box of Super Iridium tucked behind my hankies in my sock drawer" . . . but easily available in most parts of the country and well worth the price!

Does anyone know/have an opinion about the possibility that the vibrations from Dremelling a razor blade would mess up the edge? The fibers of that steel are aligned at a microscopic level, and it seems like intense vibrations might alter that arrangement... ??

Just use some curved small scissors, it is easy and they are great shavers.

I have a user grade gold wash Segal that is free to the first one to PM me. I’d only ask that you cover my shipping and packing - $3.00 would do it. I’ll include an original Segal blade for a pattern but once you do it a few times you can just eyeball it and trim it out. I used to do ten at a time. But then straight razors came into my life and my DE’s now collect dust.

Razor is spoken for!

Last edited:
Wow, Cap'n . . . nice PIF!! I hope the lucky guy enjoys the Segal and shares his experience with the rest of us!

Top Bottom