What's new

Segal is my new #1!

Just use some curved small scissors, it is easy and they are great shavers.

I have a user grade gold wash Segal that is free to the first one to PM me. I’d only ask that you cover my shipping and packing - $3.00 would do it. I’ll include an original Segal blade for a pattern but once you do it a few times you can just eyeball it and trim it out. I used to do ten at a time. But then straight razors came into my life and my DE’s now collect dust.

Razor is spoken for!

Well my razor arrived today, with a nice big sample of the Caption's Choice too. I did have to promise to not swig the shot of the bay rum, but it sure smells good.

On a side note, is this a different formula? I had a sample that seemed to have more notes of spice in it. Could be that it has been a while since I smelled the other sample.

So I will be getting a pair of curved scissors as I think I will really like this razor. Now do the sides need to be tried as well? I see the original blade has curved sides as well. Or just cut out the center.

Does anyone know/have an opinion about the possibility that the vibrations from Dremelling a razor blade would mess up the edge? The fibers of that steel are aligned at a microscopic level, and it seems like intense vibrations might alter that arrangement... ??

I wouldn't advocate using a Dremel on a blade. Just get a pair of curved scissors and use them.

I thought about crafting a punch to make standard blades fit these things......hmmm....

well if I like the razor as much as every one says I will, then I was thinking that I might get a punch made. Seems like it would not be too difficult now that everyone and there brother seems to have a C and C machine. Thing is that it must be a durable enough material to last.

two issues, is where can you get "cheap" Segal blades? and second is that I have read that the blades are not that great.

Sorry. I didn't mean Segal blades are too cheap to go through all of that trouble of modifying them. Afterall, you wouldn't be nor need to be modifying actual Segal blades, eh? What I meant was using a normal DE razor with normal DE blades - blades that are cheap enough to use and toss without having to deal with or worry with snipping proprietary blades just to be able to shave. Granted some people enjoy the "trouble" and extra work of doing so and so I'm not knocking that choice of course. I just personally see it as adding an unnecessary task/process to the routine. :001_smile

In case someone else is also curious as to the difference:
$SegalBlade_cm.jpg $razor_blade.jpg

Sorry. I didn't mean Segal blades are too cheap to go through all of that trouble of modifying them. Afterall, you wouldn't be nor need to be modifying actual Segal blades, eh? What I meant was using a normal DE razor with normal DE blades - blades that are cheap enough to use and toss without having to deal with or worry with snipping proprietary blades just to be able to shave. Granted some people enjoy the "trouble" and extra work of doing so and so I'm not knocking that choice of course. I just personally see it as adding an unnecessary task/process to the routine. :001_smile

This is one of those cases where the razor itself makes all the difference. Since shave-ready Segal blades are made of unobtainium, modifying a "normal" blade is the only way to make use of the Segal razor. The task is necessary in order to experience the superior shave that the Segal razor gives over ANY Gillette that I either now own or have previously tried. Seriously, it is that good.

Well I used it today, and I was nervous as it looks like a LOT of blade sticking out, but it was very smooth and found it's grove quickly. It looked to have more blade sticking out than the 2011 R41. It did not seem to be taking much hair off at first, but by the time the three passes were done, I was BBS with no irritation. Captain's Choice was a nice topper to finish off the shave! Now I have a fat boy waiting for me at the post office, and I think I am done buying razors for a while! I just got rid of my R41. guess it is time to really think about the blade situation. I will be using this often I think. Cutting the blade was not too bad, though my first scissors were not curved and did not work at all. I got some cuticle scissors at Target and they seem OK, but I don't think they will last long at all.

Bump. Seems there are a number of Segal lovers here. These razors are readily obtainable, is there any particular Segal vintage or finish which is considered more desirable or better shaving than the others?

Zamak head/cap, and brass handle. All models are obtainable for a very reasonable price, because of the proprietary blades. I have several of their models. They do shave very nicely. The only flaws that I see are that they are made of Zamak, fragile, and use proprietary blades. Oh, the gold finish is worse than the Gillette gold washes.
Altered modern blades can be used and they provide excellent shaves.

I've never seen the slot exposed on any of them, before this. It looks as if it's a dropped tto knob, perhaps.

Last edited:
In 2010 B&B member GentsInstinct wrote about this model:

"The original Segal design. Twist the bottom knob to loosen the head, push the shaft up with your thumb and forefinger which raises the head cap. Notice the head cap is different than the others, having a flat portion in the middle whereas the others are fully curved/rounded. On the bottom of the head, it has the Segal logo only on one side of the neck and on the other side of the neck it says "U.S. & FOR'N PATS PEND. MADE IN U.S.A." You simply do not see these first designs often."

I just won one a 1/2 hour ago along with 2 SE's for < $15. Did not see condition of top cap and it definitely needs to be cleaned. Hopefully not all scratched up on top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom