What's new

TOBS Mr. Taylor Lather *WARNING* Lather Pics! (Pic Heavy)

Gents,

I have wanted to focus on my lather lately and thought spending the week with TOBS would be just the time to do it. In consultation with Marco I decided to employ his "Lots of Water + Lots of Product" formula. I have long since stopped worrying about trying to squeeze as much lather as possible out of as little soap or cream as possible. If I use an extra gram of cream everyday I may have to buy more in 2018 instead of 2020. Big deal.

Needless to say, I got a fantastic two-pass shave with this excellent lather this morning. I probably could have used a tad less water but I had a bit of a twitch when the cup was over the scuttle. Oh well, that'll happen.

For reference, I am using a Duke 1 in Best and a medium-sized RB scuttle.

Enjoy the pics!

Cheers!
-Greg

Attachments

• $Loaded.jpg
    $Loaded.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 445
  • $After a minute.jpg
    $After a minute.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 446
  • $Peaking.jpg
    $Peaking.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 446
  • $Pre 1st pass.jpg
    $Pre 1st pass.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 442
  • $Pre 2nd Pass.jpg
    $Pre 2nd Pass.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 443
I wish the method worked for me. I get alot of sloppy watery lather. However it works for you then all is good:)

I don't shave with my Mr Taylors anymore, but I use the remaining cream to lather up and let new brushes soak in.

I am another member of the "use more product club". Soaps/creams are not that expensive.

I have found that when I use Uberlather I end up using less product for some reason. :wink1: I don't load the brush up with that much soap and use only a pea size amount of cream and the resulting lather is about what the OP shows.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Greg, the formula "A lot of water + a lot of product" also needs "+ a lot of swirls". I would work a bit more on the lather you have in your scuttle. Before moving the brush onto your face, be sure the lather is dense and creamy with no bubbles in it. Anyhow, you are definitely proceeding in the right direction! :wink2::thumbup1:

Greg, the formula "A lot of water + a lot of product" also needs "+ a lot of swirls". I would work a bit more on the lather you have in your scuttle. Before moving the brush onto your face, be sure the lather is dense and creamy with no bubbles in it. Anyhow, you are definitely proceeding in the right direction! :wink2::thumbup1:

Thanks, Marco!

I did swirl quite a lot but I think what happened was I tried to add a little water and I added too much and I would have needed to add more cream to even it out and I just didn't want to get into that. I had better success this morning with the Omega 31025 in terms of building a more dense lather but I don't think I got as close a shave because the 31025 isn't as dense and scrubby as the Duke 1. Wednesday morning, however, I will have the Duke 1 back in hand and I will give it another go and try to be more faithful to the formula! And see if I can't get the closeness AND the thick lather.

Updates to follow!

Greglam, I love your photos!! Marco +1. I find adding water S-L-O-W-L-Y only one drop at a time (one drop every 15 seconds max for me, about 30 swirls, then another drop etc.) with many, many swirls equals amazing lather. Always a good reminder lesson to see how much water (added manually) and also air (added by swirls) that your cream can hold before breaking down. I am amazed how much water and air my TOBS Jermyn Street and also my Trumpers Sandalwood can hold. And boy, the lather is terrific when I walk the line.

[QUOTE\] I find adding water S-L-O-W-L-Y only one drop at a time (one drop every 15 seconds max for me, about 30 swirls, then another drop etc.) with many, many swirls equals amazing lather. Always a good reminder lesson to see how much water (added manually) and also air (added by swirls) that your cream can hold before breaking down. I am amazed how much water and air my TOBS Jermyn Street and also my Trumpers Sandalwood can hold. And boy, the lather is terrific when I walk the line.[/QUOTE]
+1. That is working for me. I learned about uberlather from ackvil and it is incredible to shave with! I build my lather exactly like this w/ that recipe and is always great. for 2012 try UBERLATHER if you have not already done so!!! recipe is in wiki- very easy to whip up.

Trying the TOBS for the first time this week and I can't get it to lather at all. Got the Avocado. Have tried face and bowl. Probably my error, but I'm going to blame the hard water for now.

Top Bottom