Thread: The Kid's shave journal

Default The Kid's shave journal

Should've started this about a month ago, but better late than never. Following the shave, I'll rate each blade 1-10 on smoothness, sharpness, lack of irritation (redness, burn, bleeding), longevity. In each of these categories, more is better. Currently shaving my neck only since I've got the winter beard, but I find it's the most sensitive part of my shave.

I even missed my shave this morning, the shame!

History:

DE89L
    Vulfix 1000 Super Badger
    DRH Arlington soap
    Red Personna

Proraso ASB

This was my starting setup for the first two days of my DE shaving journey. The shave always follows a hot shower and Proraso pre/post while the brush soaks. My first shave was marginal, but I wasn't expecting the greatest results. Two days of growth was exceptionally hard to cut with a red Personna, even after all the prep. Also, lots of tugging and pulling. I'm holding things constant as much as possible (and as long as I can hold all ADs off!), these are the pre/post, soap, witch hazel and ASB. Also, only trying two WTG passes until I get technique down. Irritation was present only at the corners of my neck, a trouble spot. No nicks/weepers.

The second day, the blade did not perform any better. I've concluded that red Personnas do not agree with my DE89L.

Smooth: 3
    Sharp: 2
    Gentle: 5
    Longevity: 5

Next:

DE89L
    Derby Extra

This blade was leaps and bounds smoother than the red Personna, and made me enjoy my shave so much more. However, it required three WTG passes to get an acceptable shave. Irritation slightly more than with red Personnas.

Smooth: 5
    Sharp: 3
    Gentle: 6
    Longevity: 5

Next:

DE89L
    Personna Med-Prep

I skipped some other blades in my sampler pack and went straight for the Med-Preps, as I had just purchased 300 Supers. This blade in the 89 was extremely sharp, and felt great! No bloodletting, closest two-pass WTG shave yet. Blade's lasted three days, which is what I've calculated as the best balance between performance and value.

Smooth: 7
    Sharp: 7
    Gentle:8
    Longevity: 8
    Last edited by The Waco Kid; 11-29-2011 at 06:39 AM.
    Chris - The burn says it's working!

Wrong sub-forum, but don't forget to give Astra Superior Platinum a try. They work great in my DE89.

Images

Great start! Blades are a huge YMMV thing, but having a detailed log like yours will help newer shavers narrow down their choices...see if a mod can move this for you.:)BUT, since you are here, ever thought of delving into straights?
    Last edited by Kentos; 11-28-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    ~ ​​Kent
    <[Self-certified Straight Shaver]>
    。。現在日本剃刀に夢中。。

Thanks guys, searched for other journals and dropped it in this one. If someone with mod-like powers could move it, I'd appreciate it!

Never thought seriously about straights, but that could definitely change the more time I spend on B&B

Back to catching up.

Found a Gillette Fat Boy (F1) and cleaned it up. (Un)Fortunately, this means I get to start the whole process of blade selection again, PLUS the added adjustment feature. Shaved with it over the holiday, but I was traveling so the setup changed slightly.

Fat Boy (setting 3)
    VDH boar brush
    Derby Extra
    Proraso shaving cream
    Proraso ASB

The shave was great with a Derby on 3, only required two passes WTG where the DE89 took three. I figure I'll start my way low and work up. Blade also lasted about three shaves.

Gentle: 8
    Longevity: 6

Skipped a day and shaved the next with two days of shadow and adjusted the Fat Boy up to 5 for the first pass, 3 for the second.

Fat Boy (setting 5, 3)
    Derby Extra

Found the adjustment feature is very nice for exposing more blade and cleaning off more beard than the DE89 without getting clogged. Made a second pass WTG on 3, then an XTG pass on 3 again. Very smooth, no extra irritation.

Gentle: 8
    Longevity: 6

This morning I was back in my element.

Fat Boy (setting 3, 1)
    Personna Super (blue)
    Vulfix 1000 Super Badger
    DRH Arlington
    Proraso ASB

This morning I made three passes with a new Personna Super, two WTG on setting 3 and a final on setting 1 (hardly any blade exposure). Was going fine until I rushed the third pass and ended up with two small weepers and some irritaton on the right side of my neck, since I shave lefty. Whew, got a little red there! Gotta take my time.

Smooth: 6
    Longevity: 7

Today's shave was much better than yesterdays, but none closer. Right now I'm still aiming at zero irritation. Took plenty of time for two WTG passes, only irritation present was leftovers from yesterday.

Fat Boy (setting 3)
    Personna Super (blue)

Smooth: 6
    Gentle: 6
    Longevity: 7

Yesterday and today were about the same, with the exception of a little more pull today resulting in more irritation.

Fat Boy (setting 3)
    Personna Super

Same results as 11/30, blade's lasting as long as predicted. Perhaps I can push it to 5 days since it's only doing half the work it's intended to do on just my neck.

Two days growth yesterday made for a little more irritation than usual, although it could have been the new blade.

Fat Boy (setting 5, 3)
    Gillette 7 O'Clock super stainless (green)

Blade felt a little sharp on the first pass at setting 5 that I didn't get with a Derby at 5, but settled down in number 3 nicely. Still, left more irritation than usual. Witch hazel and the ASB calmed it down though. Did manage to shave the back of my neck with the DE89L and a Personna Super, which felt great! Going to have to do that more often.

Smooth: 5
    Sharp: 6
    Longevity: 7?

Images

Great I've been looking forward to more DE shave journals!
    I'm Svein. Doing the 2014 gentlemanly shenanigans!L.I.L.Y.H.I.