What's new

A suggestion for newbies

A suggestion for newbies

I've been around a while (81) and waded through many honing/stropping suggestions and bought all sorts of things at a significant cost. I would like to see it recommended that newbies take a look at the following item in Badger and Blade-General Straight Razor Talk-Hones/Honing:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/260036-An-interesting-look-at-honing

The method is controversial but I have tried it and the method works flawlessly. It is astonishingly simple, absolutely foolproof, and requires the very minimum of cost of sharpening stones (just two).

There is already a thread for this and no offense but your join date and low post count won't hold much water for this technique. If it really works for you I'm glad you found a technique that works for you. For new users I wouldn't recommend a technique that is this much against the norm. Newbies are going to need consistency and searchable techniques that almost everyone has used so that they can ask questions about it. Id still recommend the Naniwa or Coti & JNat route so that they can get help easily. I am still a newbie and have questions on techniques that are tried and proven, I could only imagine the questions I would have about honing backwards, cutting the table, and then slapping it on some newspaper for a while.

Don't worry, ht, my join date and post count are just as unimpressive as yours. Doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of people who just discovered this website and have been shaving with a straight razor for years, just as there are plenty of people who have posted on this website for years and never used a straight razor.

Glad you found something that works!

All that said, CyiDev is probably right, for most newbies it's better to learn on something like the Naniwas or the Nortons: there are simply more people who use those hones and therefore more people to answer questions about them.

Thanks!

I won't hold your post count or join date against you (in fact I never look).

My straight is somewhere in the mail and I have been researching hones for days now in anticipation. I appreciate someone who has used that technique and approves of it because 2 hones, some newspaper and an old belt seems a lot more sane than some of the honing techniques I have read about on this site which require hundreds of passes over MANY hones.

Where did you get your hones to use this technique and how much did they cost you?

Thanks again for putting my mind at ease!

Some very respectable honers have tried this method with exceptionable results it is totally doable. but be aware that you may have to go back to the stones a few times to get it right. Also do not fallow the exact stroke count that is on the video carter edited the video and did more strokes then shown.

Top Bottom